[va-richmond-general] Ducks, Riverside Dr. JRPS (upriver from CRI12, VWBT)

  • From: "Janice Frye" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 16:45:18 -0500

Well, I had a nice Christmas surprise.  Though BUFFs had approximately
quadrupled their presence a few days ago, nothing but the usual suspects had
been keeping them company.  I now check above Huguenot Flatwater as far as
the intersection with Hickory (where the road leaves the riverside) in
addition to the stretch down to Pony Pasture Rapids.  One phoebe was in that
upriver stretch.  There were RNDUs at the downstream point of an island,
with 30 in sight at one time and another 5 upriver from them.  3 PBGRs
sighted at once in the mouth of Rattlesnake Creek, and 6 HOMEs in the quarry
pond.  The mergs are hard to observe in that pond due to the poor light,
chain link fence, lingering vegetation and lack of parking, but maybe they
are harbingers of more ducks to come.  Of course the river will rise AGAIN
with the melting snow, but still hoping for a repeat of last winter...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

Jan

Richmond