[va-richmond-general] Re: Downy Woodpecker spending the winter in a Bluebird Box?

  • From: "Bob" <rcs5701@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dbryan.audubon@xxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:39:09 -0500

David

I have read that some woodpeckers will use a box in the winter for
protection and warmth at night.  Years ago, when I cleaned out an old box in
my father's yard, I found the remains of a Downy in the box.  It may have
died during a hard winter.

I have had bluebird boxes for years, but have never seen a woodpecker using
it for shelter, but maybe I was not paying enough attention.

Bob Siegfried