[va-richmond-general] Birder study, phase 2

  • From: Lewis Barnett <blbarnett3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 16:04:07 +0000

FYI - UR Psych needs your brain…

Birder Study: Phase 2

The Higher Level Vision Lab at the University of Richmond is interested in
the special skills that birders develop and what these can tell us about
how the brain works. The study is run by Dr. Cindy Bukach, Associate
Professor of Cognitive Neuroscience in the Psychology department at the
University of Richmond, who specializes in visual expertise. The study
takes place at the University of Richmond campus, and free parking will be
provided. Last summer we completed Phase one and began Phase two of the
study. We are currently preparing the Phase 1 manuscript for publication.
We wish to thank all those birders who volunteered their time last summer.
This summer, we hope to complete data collection for the second phase of
the study. This phase involves two sessions - an initial 2 hour session
followed by a second one-hour session to be completed on a different day.
Sessions can be scheduled at select times during the week and weekends,
including early evenings. As compensation, particpants will be given $30
cash for session 1 and $15 cash for session 2. Although we encourage
individuals to participate in both sessions, there is no obligation to do
so. All different levels of birding are encouraged to participate. Also,
if you have a non-birder friend or significant other, please invite them or
bring them along as we also require novice participants. Results of the
study will be made available to participants upon request. Please contact
our lab at urcogneuro@xxxxxxxxx or telephone (804) 289-8563 if you are
interested in participating, and either Dr. Bukach or her research
assistants will be happy to discuss the studies and arrange an appointment.

--
Lewis Barnett
President, Richmond Audubon Society