[va-richmond-general] Chesterfield County birding

  • From: "Wendy Ealding" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wealding@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 13:09:00 -0400

I birded a couple of Chesterfield County parks this morning, Rockwood and
Mid-Lothian Mines. Migration is clearly over, now it's breeding bird season.
The Great Blue Herons at Rockwood have very vocal young being fed at the nest.
The large number of Cardinals included a flight capable juvenile and an adult
male carrying food, and there was also a flight capable juvenile Cowbird
begging although I didn't see the host species. The full list is at

Mid-Lothian Mines has closed the back trail for construction. The Lake Trail
is still open. The male Mallard and white domestic duck who have been a couple
for a number of years now have three young that currently look like juvenile
Mallards. It will be interesting to see what they look like as adults.

Full list at

Wendy Ealding
Midlothian