[va-richmond-general] An Inconvenient Truth:movie review

  • From: s.ridd@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 15:14:56 +0000

If you haven?t seen the movie ?An Inconvenient Truth,? this viewer would
recommend it. Al Gore presents some interesting data that shows the weather of
our world has changed significantly over the last 40 years. If you know someone
between the ages of 7 and 27, take them to see the movie too because it will
affect their lifetime.

In the film?s beginning, Gore states, ?I feel that I have failed to get the
message across.?
Due to the increasing warm temperatures, Gore states that rainfall will become
more turbulent and less like the ?old days? of a slow steady rain. For example,
last year when Katrina crossed Florida as a category #1 hurricane, she was not
a terrible threat. However, add the heat and moisture of the Gulf of Mexico and
Hurricane Katrina suddenly became a category #5.

Al Gore also states that insurance companies have noticed changes in the
weather trends as well and illustrates this fact.

At one point in the movie, the Antarctic loses a significant part of its Larsen
B Ice shelf in just 35 days. This is scary because the ice reflects 90% of
solar heat back into the atmosphere.
?A moral imperative to make big changes is inescapable,? he says. There is hope
America - go see the movie!

From www.climatecrisis.net-"Eloquently weaves the science of global warming
with Al Gore?s personal history and lifelong commitment to reversing the
effects of global climate change. A longtime advocate for the environment, Gore
presents a wide array of facts and information in a thoughtful and compelling
way. The film is not a story of despair but rather a rallying cry."