[va-richmond-general] A couple of days at Pocahontas

  • From: "Jeremy and Kristen McEntire" <jkmcentire@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:43:13 -0400

I spent 2 nights camping with my daughter at Pocahontas State Park this week. No heavy-duty birding was done (only as much as can be done with a 6-yr-old). We still had the chance to hear and see a fair number of good birds. The highlight was a pair of Louisiana Waterthrushes on the spillway of Beaver Lake. They were foraging together in what looked like possible preparation for some more nesting. Also seen/heard were Yellow-billed Cuckoos, Acadian Flycatchers, Wood Thrushes, Common Yellowthroats, and a brazen Scarlet Tanager that flew around our campsite singing for about an hour.

Jeremy McEntire