[va-richmond-general] Birds in our chimney

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Richmond Birds'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:41:13 -0400

There are lots of birds lately at our house. Today a flock of about 15
grackles and starlings arrived at our feeder area. They dominate everything,
preventing hummingbirds from getting at the feeder and having a knock-down
dragout-argument with a brown thrasher over the suet. At one point in the
afternoon, four grackles surrounded a red-bellied woodpecker at the suet,
and eventually the woodpecker left. The grackles are skittish birds,
however. I walked up to the bay window, and fwuuush!! all of the blackbirds
left. About a minute later, the hummingbird returned.

The hummingbird (a female ruby-throated) earlier hesitated to get to the
feeder because there was a finch sitting on top of it.

We have mammals, too. A squirrel got into the feeder post and did not like
the hot-pepper suet. So he tried to get the feed from the main feeder, and
the rotating ring whirled him around once and flung him off, and he hit his
head on the post.

There are birds in our chimney. We kept hearing this buzzing and twittering
noise from the chimney, so we called in the sweep. He told us, and showed
us, three black chicks or juvenile birds in the chimney. I think they are
chimney swifts, but I wouldn't put it past these starlings to make a nest in
the chimney. He said wait two weeks until they are strong enough to fly out
of the chimney, and the noise will be gone.

Jim Blowers