[Va-bird] Thank You for the ID Help!

  • From: morann <morann@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 12:54:13 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Birders,

I am so grateful that so many of you responded with alacrity in helping me determine the strange visitor bird that appeared on my patio yesterday, twice, bobbing along looking for food in the leaves and lichen it encountered. The main suggestion was Louisiana waterthrush or possibly the northern waterthrush. I checked out the fine distinctions listed on the Cornell Lab of Ornithology site and, along with help from you, decided it most likely is the NW, mainly because of the heavily striped throat. If the bird graciously appears today I'll study it again. I had a wonderful long opportunity, twice, yesterday to do so, but one can never get enough of a look at something like this!

Thanks to all of you who so kindly helped,
Ann