[Va-bird] Red-headed Woodpeckers at Ragged Island

  • From: "nicholas flanders" <flicknanders@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:44:09 -0400

Although I'm sure many of you already know this, I thought that I would let Hampton Roads birders know of an alternative to Newport News Park for easy views of Red-headed Woodpeckers. I have visited Ragged Island WMA in Smithfield twice in the past week, and both times I have been rewarded with outstanding, up-close and personal views of atleast two Red-headed Woodpeckers. I usually see them either in the parking lot or on the multiple dead trees along the trail from the parking lot which leads to the boardwalk. When I see them they usually seem to be engaged in a sort of flycatching, which is very fun to watch, and I say more power to them as the biting flies are out in force right now: Don't forget the bug spray! By the way, the brown-headed nuthatches have also been very cooperative in the same areas. All the Best!
Nick Flanders.
Newport News, VA.

Don�t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/