[Va-bird] N. WaterThrush ?

  • From: "nicholas flanders" <flicknanders@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:54:35 -0400

This is my first fall of real birding, and I have a question. I have seen two WaterThrush in the past week, 8/6 and 8/7. One was seen on the shore of a lake (Lake Maury), the other along the brushy shore of a slow-moving tidal creek off of the brackish James River near Newport News. I identified them both as Northern Waterthrush, based on habitat as well as field marks. Although the birds were whitish below, the eyebrow was buffy/yellow-not the bright white of the Louisiana. Also, the breast streaking was dense and was present on the throat. My question is whether this identification is reasonable for the beginning of August, or is it still too early for this bird to be in the region in such force? The creek is not far from Lake Maury, so I guess I could have coincidentally seen the same early migrant twice. If a more-experienced birder could lay some knowledge down about the typical fall migration habits/dates of this species, perhaps I would know whether to have confidence in this sighting or second-guess it. Thanks!
Nick Flanders.
Newport News.

A new home for Mom, no cleanup required. All starts here. http://www.reallivemoms.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us