Fw: [va-bird] They're Back! Asking for help/frustrated by small flycatchers

  • From: "Paul Woodward" <grackling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "VABIRD" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:41:35 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Woodward" <grackling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jc35053@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2007 11:24 AM
Subject: Re: [va-bird] They're Back! Asking for help/frustrated by small flycatchers

Craig,

Two questions (1) have you ever visually confirmed that they are Yellow-bellied Flycatchers and (2) are you familar with the variety of Acadian Flycatcher calls? (copy from BNA is shown below). As you probably know it is the wrong time of year for yellow-bellys (rare spring migrants at best) and the breeding habitat is entirely wrong ( they nest in boreal forests).

Paul Woodward
Fairfax City, VA
grackling@xxxxxxx

Acadian Flycatcher vocalizations (from BNA)

A diverse vocal repertoire including a distinctive territorial song, a complex dawn song, a distinctive Flutter Call, and a variety of alarm or position calls. Mumford (1964) followed below in distinguishing between an advertising or territorial song and a variety of other vocalizations or calls.

Territorial song has been transliterated in a number of ways (e.g., Christy 1942, Mumford 1964, Whitney and Kaufman 1986): a distinctive and explosive tee-chup ( Fig. 2A); also described as peet-sah or flee-sick. Accent appears to be variable, as Mumford (1964) suggests that second syllable is accented, whereas Whitney and Kaufman (1986) suggest it is on the first. Males begin singing almost immediately upon arriving on breeding grounds and most continue to sing regularly throughout breeding season.

Females occasionally sing tee-chup, usually in situations involving stress; e.g., when disturbed from nest or immediately after release from a mist-net (Kellner and Ritchison 1988, DRW). One female singing with no apparent provocation while brooding (DRW).

Distinctive dawn song described as consisting of tee-chup interspersed with metallic seet, speet, spake, or speak notes given very rapidly. One male gave 222 seets and 39 seet-tee-chups between 04:30 and 04:35 (Mumford 1964). Dawn song is striking for its unusual length and the rapidity with which notes are given. Mumford noted 1 male singing continuously for 47 min.

Vocal repertoire also includes an evening song, at least some of which is delivered in flight. Mumford (1964) describes this vocalization in detail. Evening song delivered from perches in canopy (20–25 m) and in air above canopy and is focused on an area 50–100 m from usual singing perches. Initiated with a series of wseet or pseet calls, followed by wheel chur, queer queep, and other notes. Notes often increase in frequency, then build up to a climax, when flight song is delivered. Male then flies upward above canopy, moves about 20 m, giving wheel chur calls. When flight song ends, he dives downward at a sharp angle into canopy and perches 8–13 m above ground. Many other call notes can be woven in. Aspects of this song reminiscent of flight song of Least Flycatcher (Briskie 1994).

A call frequently uttered by male is a series of twittered notes sounding almost like a slow trill. Described by Brewster (1882) as similar to whistling of wings and by A. A. Saunders (in Christy 1942: 194) as like “the sound produced by the Mourning Dove in flight.” Mumford (1964) refers to this as the Flutter Call, since male often produces it while hovering above a perch or fluttering from 1 perch to another. Typically 1–3 s in duration ( Fig. 2B) and often associated with typical tee-chup.

Most frequently heard vocalization is a sharp pwit, pweet, or peet, given by both male and female, perhaps slightly more often by female ( Fig. 2C). Can be given very sharply and explosively or very softly, and can be given as a single note or repeatedly in a rapid sequence. Members of a mated pair appear to use it to call back and forth to each other. Also used with intensity in response to perceived threat (potential predator, female Brown-headed Cowbird [Molothrus ater], or mirrors used to monitor nests above eye level; DRW).

A call heard regularly from birds in s.-central Indiana is a vigorous whip-pee-wheer and apparent variants that could be described as whip-whip, pee-wheer, or simply wheer or peer (DRW). This may correspond to the wheel-chur described by Mumford (1964). This call appears to be given primarily by female, usually when she is near nest. Male usually responds, either with song or call notes. However, males also observed using whip-pee-wheer vocalization (DRW). In 1 instance, both male and female of a mated (and banded) pair gave this vocalization (and other calls) with some intensity after an interaction with an Acadian from an adjacent territory.

Both males and females appear to have other calls, often quite soft, that they give as they arrive at nest with food items for nestlings. Newman (1958) described a pee-tul given by a male carrying food items. Mumford (1964) described same calls and referred to them as “greeting notes.” Similar vocalizations heard from males approaching nest; transliterated as p-link or p-loink (DRW). This call often given when female was present near nest, but also during a territorial encounter (DRW).

Many other calls have been described (e.g., Mumford 1964), but much remains to be understood. Little is known in detail concerning context and function of vocalizations. No evidence of geographic variation.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Tufts" <jc35053@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>