[Va-bird] Funny Hawk Story (Not Gory)

  • From: Barbara Farron <repbarb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VAbirdList <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 19:16:41 -0400

Yesterday afternoon, we spotted an immature COOPER'S HAWK on the ground in our backyard. The hawk seemed to be working on something it had caught, trying to remove feathers/fur, attempting unsuccessfully to carry it off, etc. We were trying to determine if it had a dove or a squirrel. With binoculars and camera in hand, we saw that the hawk had captured a stuffed dog toy!
After several minutes, it gave up, flew up into a tree, then landed on the deck railing near our bird feeding station. Of course no birds came to the feeder with a hawk in plain sight. That's one young bird with a lot to learn!<g>

Barbara Farron
Fairfax, VA (a few miles east of GMU)