[va-bird] Folly Lick Stream Park

  • From: Allen Hart <hartal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 16:02:45 -0400

Took a lunch time walk in Folly Lick Stream Park (a Fairfax County park about a half mile from my house)

Last year three pair of Yellow-crowned Night Herons nested there, but only one pair had a successful season (with 4 fledglings).

I think that pair may be back, but they have chosen a new tree not far from the old one and nest building has begun.

http://www.techsolvers.com/birdweb/follylick/Yellow_crowns_nest_building.jpg

It is going to be tough to get pictures of this nest location, because when the leaves come in completely it will be very difficult to get a clear path to shoot pictures through.

A pair of Cooper's Hawks have been nesting in the park for at least the last few years. They moved their nest this year too. But I guess they wanted me to be able to take pictures, because last year the nest was nearly impossible to see once the leaves came in, but this year it is much more visible.

   http://www.techsolvers.com/birdweb/follylick/Coopers_on_nest.jpg

-- Allen  Hart
-- Herndon, VA