[Va-bird] Eastern Shore 7/14

  • From: Bryan Barmore <gbheron25@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 08:09:53 -0400

Yesterday afternoon Sharon and I decided to head over to the Eastern Shore to look for some shorebirds. We had some nice finds including a lifer for Sharon.
At Island #1 at the CBBT we saw a merganser out at the tip of the island. It was really pale and ragged with the wings looking very stubby. We were leaning towards a female Red-Breasted and then I checked eBird this morning and a female Red-Breasted has been reported there over the last month so seem like she is still there. Perhaps she is in the process of molting and that is giving her the stubby-winged look?
Other highlights include 30 Willits and 26 Whimbrels at Willis Wharf along with 4 Purple Martins, a Green Heron and a pair of Black Skimmers that landed on the mud right in front of the observation deck.
At Brownsville Seaside Farm we saw a Bald Eagle being mobbed by several crows, saw at least 3 Common Yellowthroats performing (they would fly up high while singing and then dive down into the grass), 3 Glossy Ibis flying in the distance and heard at least one Bobwhite.
And then we ended the day at the boat launch at Wise Point at dusk. When we arrived there was a Prairie Warbler singing across from the kayak launch. While looking for the Prairie, we had three Hummingbirds fly in about ten feet in front of us to feed on some honeysuckle. We also had 3 more Skimmers go by on the creek at the boat ramp feeding. Plus the quintfector of herons: Great Blue, Tri-colored, Green, Great Egret and Snowy Egret.And then the final topper was a common Nighthawk (Sharon's life bird) feeding across the creek from us.
Photos of the merganser at at http://www.pbase.com/gbheron/ebird_record&page=2

Good birding,
  Bryan