[Va-bird] Eagle trip on Discover the James

  • From: Barbara Houston <rinksyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bird VA <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 20:18:10 -0400

Our eagle tour finally happened on the third try after two previous rain outs. This was probably the 6th or so tour I have done this year with Capt. Mike Ostrander on Discover the James(http://www.discoverthejames.com/). We had a beautiful morning to enjoy the sunrise on the river and the eagle and ospreys were active today. The boat left out of Deep Bottom Park in Henrico near the Charles City line. The boat goes up to the area in front of Henricus Dutch Gap and then back down the river and around a loop to come back to the park. This was a three hour photographers tour which allowed us time to watch and wait for birds and get some awesome pictures.

Fellow va-bird members Reese Burgoyne and Bill Millhouser accompanied me along with three others from my photo group. We all had a great time and saw some beautiful birds. Along with 5 pairs of eagles and some immatures, we had about 8 pairs of ospreys with young. Most of the young along the river have not fledged yet and were still in the nests. We saw at least two sets that had fledged but were staying close to the nests sites. We also encountered a rookery that housed about 4 great blue heron nests and one osprey nest all in the same tree. All three nests were full with two or more chicks....large chicks. While we were watching, one of the adults flew in and began feeding one of the gbh chicks. It was something to watch and we all enjoyed seeing nature in action.

We saw several encounters with bald eagles chasing immatures and osprey invading their areas. The group had sightings of prothonetary warblers, kingfishers, swallows of several kinds, mockingbirds, egrets, kingbirds, cormorants. cardinals, robins, and had a hawk circling at the ramp when we returned.

All in all, it was a great trip and great to meet some of the fellow list members.

Pictures start at: http://fynefoto.phanfare.com/5979835#imageID=191275158
I have only done a few....but the ones I liked the most. Should have more later.

Barbara Houston
New Kent, VA