[v-webmail] Entire email account data transferred to V-Wm server on login

  • From: Adrian Lewis <v-webmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: v-webmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 04:35:52 +0000

Hi all,

I recently noticed my test system slowing down to a virtual halt every
time that I logged in. Each time I could see network activity lights
flashing frantically on the v-wm server's connection to the pop server
from the moment I clicked the login button. I would expect this to an
extent from the v-wm server as it gets the message listing from the pop
server but it would take upto two or three minutes before displaying the
listing which would cause some browsers to timeout.

I eventually decided to calculate that this was roughly equivalent to
about 8Mb of data transfer assuming similar speeds to web and ftp
downloads (my mail server is across a DSL link from the v-wm server).
This was the entirety of my pop account at the time.

I always assumed that the v-wm server would just download the headers
each time and only get attachments when required. It seems not. When
manually deleting my larger emails from the mail server directly using
telnet, everything was super speedy again back in v-wm. This seems like
a big waste of bandwidth to me.

Anyone else get this kind of problem? Any ways around it?

Adrian Lewis