[v-webmail] Re: Entire email account data transferred to V-Wm server on login

  • From: "Richard Heyes" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <v-webmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:37:17 +0100

> I recently noticed my test system slowing down to a virtual halt every
> time that I logged in. Each time I could see network activity lights
> flashing frantically on the v-wm server's connection to the pop server
> from the moment I clicked the login button. I would expect this to an
> extent from the v-wm server as it gets the message listing from the pop
> server but it would take upto two or three minutes before displaying the
> listing which would cause some browsers to timeout.
>
> I eventually decided to calculate that this was roughly equivalent to
> about 8Mb of data transfer assuming similar speeds to web and ftp
> downloads (my mail server is across a DSL link from the v-wm server).
> This was the entirety of my pop account at the time.
>
> I always assumed that the v-wm server would just download the headers
> each time and only get attachments when required. It seems not. When
> manually deleting my larger emails from the mail server directly using
> telnet, everything was super speedy again back in v-wm. This seems like
> a big waste of bandwidth to me.

This is more a limitation of POP3. To get certain details about the message,
all or a large portion of it has to be transferred to the web server
V-webmail runs on. This is done by the PHP IMAP extension, and can't be
changed. A solution would of course be to use IMAP instead of POP3.

Cheers.
--
Richard Heyes
http://www.v-webmail.org