[USS Tempest] (no subject)

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 18:45:10 EST

The Name of the Game
by Lindsey Craig, Nathaniel Lynley, & Jesse Orosco

Jesse sank back into the  corner area of the brig's bench seat with a groan.
Station security had  just left, again, and this time they told him that he
wasn't being released  until somebody from his ship came for him.  "Oh man, I
am so screwed," he  moaned, ignoring his throbbing cheek bone.

Lindsey blinked only once at  the message on her unit as she marched into her
Ready Room.  "What in the  blazes..."  Hitting her badge hard, she growled,
"Nat, you'd better come in  here, I'd appreciate it."

"On my way," he said, rising  from his desk chair smoothly.  He contemplated
bringing a shot glass full  of something.  The tone of voice was not at all
full of joy.

"Damn  that counsellor," Lindsey muttered, pinching between her  eyes.

"Oh dear," Nat said as he  stepped into the ready room.  "That nose pinch
usually means something is  up to no good."  He sat across from her, a crooked
smile on his face.   "Dare I ask?"

"Here," she said, turning her screen around for him to  see.

It looked, for all the  galaxy, like a regular Security report.  Lord knows
I've seen enough of  those in my time, Nat mused as he read from the beginning.
 "I dare say  somebody trashed Quark's bar but good," he murmured.  "Dare I
ask which of  our Marines did this before I get to the bottom?"

"Oh not a Marine,"  Lindsey said dangerously.  "If it'd been one of those,
I'd be practically  skippin' by comparison.  No, no, this one's our nearest and
dearest, damn  counsellor."

"Bloody hell," Nat groaned as  he skipped to the bottom and saw the names of
those involved.  Sure as  anything there it was: Orosco, Jesse D.; Lieutenant
Commander.  "I should  think the man would know better."

"Oh, he's gonna damn well know better,"  Lindsey all but snarled.  "I think a
sabbatical is in order for our  counsellor."

"Sabbatical?" Nat asked  carefully.  "The man's just really got on board."

"Yeah and he  decides to show this kinda respect for my ship?" she snorted.
"No way,  Nat.  Not even Cassiel lands himself in the brig.  This is just not
happenin'.  If he wants to play at being a Security guard then he can damn
well retrain."

"Have you read the witness  reports, Lindsey?" Nat asked with as straight a
face as possible.  "Granted  it's no excuse, and it's probably even worse than
trying to stand in for  Security, but it would seem this melee started over a
discussion  on...games.  The man had a disagreement with one of the two
Klingons in the  place and side swiped his head with a beer mug."  Almost to
himself
he  added, "I do hope it was empty."

"Great," Lindsey groaned.  "So  we're even doin' well with inter-species
relations.  At least the Klingons  won't be too fussed with chargin' him."
Sighing softly, she shook her  head.  "I'm gonna give him a chance to pull
himself
together.  There's  a mission back through to the POW camp.  They were asking
for a counsellor  and if I knew one who'd be able to stop the team from
crackin' up.  I think  our game player'll be more than suited."

Nat rubbed his chin  thoughtfully.  "Other than this particular incident, the
man seemed to be  quite level headed.  Perhaps an away assignment will give
him a chance to  straighten up and fly right as my grandfather likes to say."

"Either that  or decide he really isn't cut out for shipboard assignments,"
Lindsey said with  a certain flintiness to her voice.  "But, y'know what, I'd
like to do this  myself.  I'm gonna head down to the DS9 brig now.  Wanna come
watch me  make him squirm?"

"I'm not at all sadistic but,  yes, I'll come with."  He offered Lindsey a
wan smile.  "If nothing  else, it is technically part of my job to be the crew
liaison and advocate so to  speak."

"Advocate all you want, Natty Boy, but that man's not steppin'  foot back on
this ship til he's redeemed himself."  Lindsey marched out of  her office, her
long legs making short work on the corridor to the  Turbolift.

Nat had to run a bit to catch  up to her, simply because he was so shocked at
what she'd called him.  Now  he knew she was well and truly angry.  Alfred
was the only one who ever  called him that, a nickname stemming from childhood.

"I wasn't suggesting  otherwise, you know," he pointed out.  "I quite agree
with you but  appearances must be kept, too."

"Y'mean I can't just knock him flat?" she  snorted.

"Tempting though that may  seem, I somehow think it would land you beside him
rather than anything  else.  Though you might want to see if Captain Hale
gets away with it since  the other Fleet perpetrator was one of his crew," Nat
said dryly.

"Johnny  won't do it in the brig area," Lindsey snorted.  "He'd wait until he
got  Mac back onto GT.  Then he'd knock him flat."

"Then I'll be certain to be out of ear and eye shot," Nat  said mildly.
"What I don't know about, I can't do a thing  about."

"Good plan, Nat," Lindsey snorted.

Jesse closed his  eyes as he let his head thump on the brig wall.  "God
damned fool," he  muttered.  "I think the beer in the holo program was real,
too."

It  was a short trip to the station and the two of them weaved through the
small  crowds of civilians and off-duty military people.  As the two of them
entered the security office, she offered the on-duty officer a guarded  smile.
"I'm here about Jesse Orosco."

After checking  their comm IDs, the Bajoran pointed to the third cell.  "Tell
him he can't  have his weapon back no matter what sort of antique it is."

"Oh, he won't  be gettin' a weapon for a long, long time," Lindsey said
stiffly as she stalked  through to the man's cell.  Blue eyes burning in fury
fixed
on the cell's  inhabitant.  "Give me one goddamn reason I shouldn't just
leave you here,  Mr. Orosco?"

Jesse cringed,  seeming to shrink inwardly even if he didn't on the outside.
Slowly, since  he was fairly sure his head was still going to fall off, he
stood up, at  attention as much as he was able.  "Honestly, Captain. I can't
think of one  that doesn't sound ridiculously self serving on my part," he
admitted.

She snorted as she folded her arms and leaned against the wall to the  side
of the opening.  "Damn right," she said sharply.  "And since you  can't even
stand up straight, I'm disinclined to bail you out."

"Are you drunk or injured, mister?"  Nat asked from her side, disregarding
the fact that the counselor technically  outranked him.

"More the first than the second I  think, sir," Jesse admitted.  "I think the
beer in that holo program was  real."

"If you mean Vic's then yeah, it is," Lindsey said.  "Okay,  here's the deal.
 You ain't coming back to Tempest.  I've put your  name forward for a
temporary reassignment to a group goin' back to the POW  camp.  You're going to
use
your apparently lacking abilities as a  counsellor to keep 'em sane.  If the
Marine in charge tells me he's  impressed, then and only then can you come back
to my ship.  You got  that?  Or are you still too drunk to understand?"

"It was Quark's, ma'am," Jesse began, shutting up when the look on Nat's
face suggested anything more would be stupid.  Dark eyes blinked as he took  in
what she was saying and he shook his head.  "Begging the captain's  pardon but
might I say something in my defense?"

"No," she said  flatly.  "Your belongings will be beamed to temporary
quarters here on the  station and Major Cammick will contact you when he
arrives."

"Then I may as well say it any way," Jesse said with a shrug.  "I  hardly
blame you for doubting my fitness as an officer but I guarantee you I'm
completely fit at my job, Captain.  I certainly hope you won't be  disappointed
in
that."

"Prove it," she shrugged.  "Go and do your  job but not on my ship.  Right
now, your access rights have been  removed.  I don't want you disgracing
Tempest
any more.  Got  me?"

That stung fiercely but all Jesse could do was nod.  "Aye, Captain,"  was all
he could say, even as he felt his cheeks warm with  embarrassment.

"Good.  I'll have them release you when you can walk  a straight line."
Spinning around, she marched out and back to the  desk.  "When he can pass an
alcohol test, you can let him go."

The Bajoran nodded, saying, "Yes, ma'am," but not without a twinge of
sympathy.  The poor Human had gotten his ass handed to him but  good.

"Thank you."  She glanced at Nat then marched off.  She  really hated drunken
brawling.

"Well done,Lindsey," Nat said quietly when they were far enough away.   "I
think the poor bloke's gotten rattled severely."

Sighing softly, she  actually sagged and all of the fight went out of her.
"I think I went over  the top," she said softly.  "I coulda cut him a little
slack but I really  hate my people doing that kinda stupid thing."

"Perhaps you might have but neither could the man think he had any inkling
of being right in what he did," Nat told her.  "Believe me, I've seen both
sides of that fence and, considering what little I know of our misguided young
counselor, you picked the right side.  He'll get over it.  Just be  sure to
give him the full respect he may be due when he returns."

"Don't  worry, Nat, I'm convinced he'll come back to us with commendations,"
Lindsey  said with a nod.  "When that happens, I'll buy him a drink and offer
my  apologies."

"If I may, might I see about getting whatever antique the fool was carrying
with him?" Nat asked.  "I'll secure it until he returns."

"Good  idea," she nodded.  "Tell him I'll keep it in my office unless he
needs to  use it to play ball with.  No more cracking skulls."

"Perfect.  Maybe it will teach the young man to play a more civilized  game
like football," Nat said with a totally straight face.

Lindsey shot  her friend a strange look and tried to equate wearing several
pounds of padding  and such like just to run down a field with a ball in your
hands with the word  civilised.  Then it dawned on her and she laughed, "Oh,
you mean  soccer."

"Barbarian," Nat grumbled accusingly.  "You've been talking to that
Kaartaren again.  As many years as I know you both and you persist in that
term."

"Hey, we can't help it if you Brits insist on using the wrong  definition for
the greatest game ever played.  Y'know, my Graddad used to  play football at
the Academy."

"If you mean that sham of a game that looks like rugby..." Nat  grumbled.
"Too much bloody padding involved."

"Do not dis the  padding," Lindsey chuckled.

"I believe I just did," Nat retorted.  "Bumps and bruises aren't worth  much
if you can't feel them when they happen."

"Just coz all you Brits  are masochists don't mean the enlightened Americans
have to be," she teased,  offering him a bright grin.

"Just keep that in mind when our prodigal counselor returns.  The  man's from
your hemisphere after all."

"Yeah but he's a baseball  fan," Lindsey shuddered.  "Long stick, small ball,
hit and run.  Ain't  no fun in that.  We're all football folks in my house."

"I tell you what then, mate," Nat said with a trademark Lynley smile.   "Come
whatever season that horridly named game of yours is played, Rosemary and  I
will come watch one with you.  A man ought to broaden his horizons after  all."

Lindsey gave a full beam, shining Craig smile and she held up her  hand,
"Deal.  Onto that, Johnny and me'll go to a soccer match with you  too."

Nat shook her hand firmly.  "And here's to sports and games that don't  end
any one in the  brig."