[USS Tempest] Drunk Tank

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 18:12:17 EST

Drunk Tank
by Jesse Orosco & a Bajoran station  guard
After Captain Craig and Chief Lynley left the brig  area, Jesse simply stood
there, so close to the force field that he could feel  the fine hairs on his
face stand on end, his arms crossed over his chest.  He didn't move, barely
breathing or even blinking, until the  Bajoran guard approached an hour  later.
"Are you sobered up yet,  Lieutenant Commander?" he asked  simply.
"Quite."  If time hadn't taken care of ridding his  system of the alcohol,
the dressing down he'd received would have.  "I'm fine."  Fine, he thought,
except I screwed up  royally and I'm getting exiled for it.  Oh sure, I'm just
peachy.
His hand on his sidearm, the guard  turned off the force field and gestured
Jesse forward, turning it back  on
As soon as he was out.  "Your captain said I could release you  pending the
outcome of a field sobriety  test."
Jesse let out a sigh.  That meant right here.  Giving a fatalistic shrug, he
said,  "Whatever it takes."  His captain  had already chewed him out like a
first year cadet with a uniform  violation.  And in public no  less.  How much
more embarrassing  could this get?
"Putting your feet one in front of  the other, heel to toe, I want you to
walk a straight line," the guard  began.  He watched the process with  a
critical
eye.  He didn't usually  didn't fee sorry for drunken brawlers, especially
Starfleet officers, and he  certainly didn't feel that way now, but this guy
had
not only been particularly  well behaved but also genuinely repentant,
instead of obnoxious or  condescending.  He supposed he  wanted the guy to
catch at
least one break.
His head was pounding but the walk  didn't require a concerted effort.  After
the guard said 'stop', Jesse simply turned around, a 'what next'  look on his
face.  He was intensely  glad that the guard was not the Bolian who'd
arrested him to begin with.  That one, he thought ruefully, was one  mean cuss.
The Bajoran nodded.  He'd passed part one.  "Alright, Lieutenant
Commander--"
"At least she didn't strip my  rank," Jesse sighed.
All business, the Bajoran went  onto the next step.  "If you waver  even once
on this one, you go back in for a few hours.  Tilt your head back, hold your
arms away  from your body, and, with your eyes closed, bring the tip of your
index finger  to the tip of your nose.  First one  then the other."
Biting back a snort of  disrespectful amusement, Jesse did as he was told,
passing easily.  He considered himself a decent athlete  with good coordination
after all.  "Nystagmus test next?" he asked  expectantly.
"Done this before have you?" the  Bajoran asked dryly as he approached,
holding up one  finger.
"No, just well educated enough and  I ought to, therefore, know better,"
Jesse replied just as  dryly.
"Right so then you know what to  do."  The guard watched as the  Human's dark
eyes followed the finger moving in front of them.  If he had been
intoxicated, he wouldn't  have been able to focus properly and thus would have
had to
move his head.  Finally, he lowered the finger and  stared hard at Jesse.
"You're free  to go, Lieutenant Commander.  Stay  the hell out of my brig from
now
on."
"I have every intention of doing  just that," came the muttered reply as
Jesse headed for the exit, wondering just  what the hell he was going to do
next.
"Lieutenant Commander, just so  that you are fully informed, the gentleman
who was here with your commanding  officer came to retrieve your weapon.  He
said the captain would have it and that you could pick it up once you  return."
"It's not a weapon," Jesse  protested as he turned around.  Like  Lynley had
looked at him before, the guard's expression suggested that he shut  up while
he was ahead.  Still, a bit  of innate stubbornness made him insist, "It's an
antique: a genuine softball  bat."