[USS Tempest] Two Ol' Birds

  • From: Ian <hewman100@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:37:12 +0100 (BST)

        Two Ol' Birds

  Admirals Paula Sullivan and Eleanor McCarthey

  She'd been on hold for nearly twenty minutes. That sanctimous bastard was
keeping her waiting because of the incident at the Launch Party.

  Eleanor smoothed her tangled red hair and sighed. She'd decided to put the
call through from the quarters on the Tempest rather than face Fishler in
person. It seemed fairer than things getting to the point where she was likely
to end up in the space stations brig for conduct unbecoming an officer.

  The light on the terminal flashed at Gregory and he groaned. He'd been right
in the middle of looking at the summer colors. Stashing his catalog away he hit
the connect button. "Hullo, Admiral Sullivan's office. What can I do you for,
mate?"

  Taken aback by the sight that greeted her, the barely contained frustration
burst forth, "Do you always greet Admirals in that manner? I've been waiting
nearly bloody twenty minutes." She scowled at the viewscreen, eyes flashing
gold and silver fire.

  "Well aren't we a cranky bird." Gregory quipped at the screen. "No need to
get your knickers in a knot, love. Took a while for the blokes at the switch
board to figure out how to send that nutter's calls down to my gurl. You've got
'er now, but she's not taken calls."

  "Look young man, trying my patience is not a good idea at the moment. I need
to speaking to C-in-C Gamma Quadrant now! And the arrogant twerp is doing
himself no favours by having me rerouted to one of his Intelligence toadies
just to wind me up."

  "Prune juice lovey, prune juice." The crewman sing-songed into the view
screen. "And you've not been rerouted to one of anyone's Intelligence toadies.
This, love, is the office of Admiral Paula Sullivan, Commander in Chief of the
Gamma Quadrant, best bird in Starfleet even if she is a Yank."

  McCarthey leant back in her chair, "Paula? When'd she take over? Never mind
that now. Just say Eleanor would like to speak to her would you?"

  Gregory sat back in his chair with a roll of his eyes. "I'll try but she's
had a rather rough morning. Hold on a moment love." When Gregory hit the hold
button a little dancing koala bear in drag came up on the screen dancing and
singing Cher hits.

  The sight of the hold screen broke Eleanor's mood, and she found the
frustration and anger ebbing away as the little bear danced around her
viewscreen.

  Bright blue eyes and a gentle, tired, southern accent quickly replaced the
dancing bear. "Eleanor, it's good to see ya."

  "Paula, a face I wasn't expecting to see. I take it this is more of Malcolm
moving in mysterious ways?" smiling easily, "That bear works wonders you know."

  "The man is a miracle worker. I only wish he'd been able to do it sooner."
Paula replied as she sat  back in her chair. There many things that would be
forever burned into her memory, a side effect of a long career in Star Fleet,
and the sight of the child would be one of them. "You should see the
holographic version that's running loose in my offices back home. Silly thing
makes a damn fine mint julep." Her smile was bright but tired and worried. "So
what can I go for you, Eleanor?"

  McCarthey cover her mouth and yawned, "I require your assistance in
organizing a personnel transfer. I've discussed it with the Head of SFM and she
agrees with what I've suggested. Just needs your rubber stamp as ranking
officer in this Sector."

  Paula sympathized with the other woman. For the first time in her life she
was starting to feel her age. "We're getting to old for this, Eleanor." She
sighed. "Want to tell me who I'm transferring where?"

  "Christopher Kitson. Until recently occupant of a camp in the GQ." Eleanor
rubbed her eyes, "He's going to need counseling like the rest but a shore
assignment will do more harm than good. Beverly says there are only two ships
with a team capable of doing the job, Titan and Georgetown. And the Titan's off
in the Orion Arm....."

  "And the Georgetown is out of reach at the moment but is expected back long
before the Titan." Paula told her. Picking up a padd she turned it on and
started to flick through some things. "What's he do?"

  "Scientist, anthropologist to be exact. He's just found out he's the father
of my granddaughter Christina, so family quarters would be a bonus for the
future."

  Paula flipped though the listings and then smiled. "Sounds like Georgetown
would be perfect." She sat the padd down and then looked at the other woman.
"Why not keep him with you, Eleanor?"

  The redhead rubbed her eyes, "Complicated, Paula. Before he was captured my
life was in tatters what with losing David and then Michael within months. I
sent to Vicki on Betazed in the hope that something would happen." Eleanor's
voice caught, "I only want him to be the son-in-law I never had. Anything
else....."

  The silver haired admiral nodded. "Consider it done. Mister Kitson will be
placed on the Georgetown as soon as he's released to active duty and the
Georgetown returns."

  "Thanks Paula. Now how'd you get this job? And how did Fishler take it?"

  Paula sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "Recent events on Tempest
lead the powers that be to the conclusion the project needed to leadership.
Since I had experience with the BQ, I dropped my hat into the ring. I think we
can thank Malcolm for the rest. As for Fishler." The older woman sighed another
deep southern sigh. "He took it the way you'd expect him too."

  Eleanor scowled and returned the sigh, "And now you're cleaning up his mess.
Men..........can't live with them, can't hunt them for sport."

Paula laughed for the first time in days. "Come over when you get the chance,
Eleanor. I'll cook." She said before leaning forward a bit. "I'd love to get
your take on my new chick and her gaggle."

  "Gladly Paula, always have been a sucker for a proper cooked meal."

  "See you soon then." Paula replied. "And I'll have the paper work done on
your young man by weeks end."

  Eleanor leaned back and felt some of the tension within her ease, "Anything I
can do to help you before Malcolm ships me back to 134?"

"Just come to dinner." Paula said with a smile. "Whatever you can tell me about
Tempest and her crew will be great."

"Done! When's convenient for you?"

  Paula looked over her agenda and then just tossed it aside. "Tonight, I need
the break."

  Eleanor grinned, "I think we all do. I'll bring the wine?"

  "Done." Paula said with a grin. "Bring your appetite. See you then. Sullivan
out."

"If there's nothing wrong with me... maybe there's something wrong with the
universe!"
~ Dr Beverly Crusher (ST:TNG, Remember Me)

  24 FIFA World Cup tickets to be won with Yahoo! Mail. Learn more