[USS Tempest] Planning Ahead

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 05:43:28 EDT

Planning Ahead
by Admiral Paula Sullivan, Ensign Miranda Craig, Colonel Kira  Nerys, &
Captain Lindsey Craig

It had been ages since Paula had served on  a ship but as soon as she stepped
onto Tempest with Kira in tow, years just  seemed to melt away from her. The
only saying was true. Once you give up command  of a ship for the little gold
box around your pips, service is never the same.  Walking through Tempest she
took in the ship carefully, a smile fluttering over  her lips. It looked like
a sound little ship, a good little ship. Stepping up to  the Captain's Cabin,
she reached out and rang the chime.

There was no answer.

"Should have called first I guess," the  silver haired woman said as she
pressed the chime again. When the door finally  slid open a young woman, no
more a
girl of eighteen, stood there as loud music  poured out of the cabin. "I'm
looking for Captain Craig?"

"What?" Miranda yelled out over the music.

"I'm looking for Captain Craig." Paula  repeated loudly.

One of Kira's finely arched brows  rose.  That didn't sound like a Starfleet
captain, she mused.   Granted, she'd met some odd ones before but not that
odd.

Miranda ordered the music to stop and then  asked again, "What? I couldn't
hear you over the music."

Paula smiled at the jean and tank to clad  girl. "I'm looking for Captain
Lindsey Craig."

"She's not here," Miranda answered finally  noting the pips on the woman's
collar. She blushed deeply. Linds is going to  skin me for this. "She might
still be on the bridge, Ma'am."

The girl was young and reminded her of he  own daughters. "It's alright,
dear, no need to worry about it." She looked the  girl over and smiled warmly.
"That's odd, I don't recall the Captain's profile  saying she had a daughter."

"I bet you're her sister, Ensign, aren't  you?  You look just like her
picture," Kira  mused.

Miranda nodded at the Bajoran. "Yes Ma'am,  Miranda Craig, the Captain's
sister."

Lindsey rubbed her forehead and  wondered if she was prone to migraines for
about the millionth time that  day.  As she sauntered off the turbolift, she
stopped when she looked up  and made a flip decision that she probably wanted
called as she sauntered up,  her smile in place and her manner  restored.

Turning, Paula smiled brightly. "You  must be the Craig we're looking for."
Holding out her hand she added, "I wish  this meeting were under better
circumstances, Captain, but I'm afraid things can  no longer wait. May we have
a word
in private? I know I should have come to the  bridge, but the computer
directed me here."

Miranda laughed. "It does that when you  don't use first names or ranks. I'm
fairly sure it dislikes having two of us."  Ducking back into the cabin
Miranda grabbed her gym bag and then walked out into  the hall. "I'm going to
egg
Rosie into a game. She's the only one aside from  Livvie who can play real
street ball." She offered the admiral and Kira a  smiled. "Ma'ams." As she
passed
her sister she snickered a whispered, "The ol  hen thought I was your kid!"

"Little more respect, Mirrie?" Lindsey  sighed.  Rolling her eyes, she waved
for the two visitors to join her in  her room.  "Can I get you both
something?"

Paula followed the young woman into the  cabin and shook her head. "No thank
you, dear. Though I'd had hoped to invite  you to have a drink with me, though
we all know the saying about best laid  plans. This is hardly the way I had
wanted to introduce myself."

"Why  don't y'all take a seat and tell me what the problem is," Lindsey
offered,  remaining standing until the Admiral  sat.

Taking a seat on one of the chairs Paula  sighed. "First of dear I think you
should know that Tempest and the GQ have been  placed under my command."

Lindsey paused then asked carefully, "No more  Fishler?"

"Officially, no." Paula answered. "As of  right now everything falls under my
command. Unofficially, Fishler is madder  then Sunday mornin' drunk. And
there lays the issue at hand."

Closing her  eyes, Lindsey allowed a comfortable smile cross her lips.
"Heck, I can  deal with anything so long as I don't have to deal with that...
man."

The silver haired Admiral sighed as she  glanced at Kira. Returning her gaze
to the captain. "He brutally murdered his  assistant before taking off to hell
knows where. You need to be extra careful,  Captain."

"Please tell me there's proof he actually did it this time,"  Lindsey asked,
her eyes opening to stare  hard.

"Other then his comment to me about where  to find her body, we won't know
until Mister Odo has finished his  investigation." Paula answered as blue eyes
locked with light brown  ones.

For a moment, Lindsey prayed with all that she had that Fishler had  been
careless.  "His comment is irrelevant.  He'll get away with it,  again."

"Lets give Mister Odo a chance, Captain."  Paula said as she offered the girl
a smile. "From what I hear he's one of the  best."

"Odo is the best investigative officer I've  ever met.  If there's proof,
it'll be found, "Kira added.

"And  Fishler's as slipper as his namesake," Lindsey warned.  "Maybe there is
 proof now but he's gone."

"He'll be back," Paula said sadly. "He's out to get you my  dear. He'll come
back to finish what he started."

"I'll be fine,  Admiral," she assured her.  "Got myself a bang up crew,
besides, he  wouldn't dare, not with all this brass I've got with  me."

Paula smiled but it didn't reach her eyes. "Still, it would  be wise to be on
guard, dear. I'm sure this poor girl's parents thought she was  safe playing
assistant."

"I doubt she had any," Lindsey said softly but  sadly.  "Someone like Fishler
don't exactly go for the family  types."

"Maybe you should talk to Odo," Paula said with a nod. "Give  him some
insight on him."

"Sure, just send him over or I'll make me an  appointment," she shrugged.

"Believe me, Captain, Odo gets into places and you don't  know he's there,"
Kira said with a friendly smirk, "but maybe you could  authorize him to come
aboard just in case."

"Sure thing," Lindsey nodded,  already tapping her comm-badge.  "Mr Lynley?
You  busy?"

"Perpetually, Captain, but the ease of it is in organization," Nat's  voice
said.  "What can I do for you, ma'am?"

"You know an officer  called Odo?" she asked.

"Quite," Nat said wryly.  "We  crossed paths over the comm during the war."

"Put him on the access  codes, would you?  And assign him a cabin."  With a
shrug to the other  two, she added, "y'never know."

"Which is an all to true statement when dealing  with some people." Paula
sighed.