[USS Tempest] Bringing in the Best

  • From: "Miranda Craig" <mirandacraig@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 12:38:36 -0400

"Bringing in the Best"
Admiral Paula Sullivan, Colonel Kira Nerys, Odo
*Takes place before Planning Ahead

Standing in Fishler's office Paula simply stared out the window. She knew
Fishler was twisted, now she knew he was crazy as loon. She'd already called
security but she tapped her comm badge again. "Sullivan to Ops. Coronal Kara
report to guest office nineteen. There's something you should see."

Ah, the new Fleet rep who was replacing Fishler.  Kara had no idea what the
woman was like but she had to be better than Fishler.  That man was so much
Benjamin's opposite that it seemed impossible that they were both Starfleet.
"On my way, Admiral," was all she said though as she stood up from behind her
desk.

Turning to look at the heap of a girl in the closet Paula sighed. "What did you
do my dear? Put milk in his coffee rather then cream? Forget to shine his
shoes? See past the green curtain to catch a glance of the evil behind it?"

Kara hated it when Starfleet changed personnel as easily as some people changed
socks.  It made things harder on the station and on life in general.  Prophets
but I hope this woman is an improvement on Fishler, she grumbled to herself,
but she stopped cold at the entrance to the room in question.  "Oh damn it,
what happened here?"

"Fishler." Paula replied sadly.

"We cannot assume facts not in evidence," came a gravelly voice.  Kara whipped
around to see the door frame melt into a familiar and beloved shape.  He was
visiting from The Great Link again.  He couldn't, he told her, stay away.
"Though it does seem likely."

Paula looked over at the two and sighed, "His parting words were "I do hope you
like the gift I left in the closet in the back office." He wanted me to find
her. He's up to something."

"I'll get the investigation started," Odo said, mentally making lists, until he
realized that he wasn't the station's chief of Security any more.

"Oh, go on," Kara said with a fond smirk.  "Ro's off station for now so you may
as well.  Anybody gives you any flack, send them to me."  She turned back to
the admiral and asked, "Do we have to let anybody else in on this?"

"Captain Craig. The man has something against her," Paula replied as she
cleared out of the way. "She should know he's slipped his leash."

"When is Tempest due to dock here?" Kara asked.

Paula walked over to the window and watched after glancing down at her watch.
"Is this thing reliable?"

"What is the name of the geyser Benjamin used to talk about--Old Faithful?  The
Celestial Temple is even sharper than that," Kara said with a touch of pride.

"Then it'll be here as soon as that thing opens up."

Rather than get annoyed that the Temple was referred to as a 'thing', Kara just
watched.  It was due any second now.

Paula stood and watched until the swirls began. Then she smiled as light show
started. Her smile brightened then faltered as she watched the tiny object come
out of it. "I'm going over. Care to join to me?"

Kira nodded.  "I trust Odo to run the investigation implicitly."

With a trusting nod Paula turned from the window and headed for the Tempest.
This wasn't how she'd hoped to greet her new captain and ship, but Fishler had
left her little choice. The girl needed to be aware of the danger.
"Elphaba, where I come from we believe all sorts if things that aren't true..
We call it.. History."
~The Wizard
~Wicked~