[USS Tempest] A Chance of Rain

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 12:55:59 EDT

A Chance of Rain
by Nathaniel Lynley, Rosemary Le Beau, & Alexandria Munroe  with Jean
Summers, Logan, Ororo Munroe, and Marie & Remy Le Beau

They had disembarked from the ship an hour ago, walked  the promenade, eaten
dinner, and window shopped. Rosemary looked happy. She  laughed, and smiled,
and had a brightness in her eyes that warmed the heart to  see. The man seemed
alright. He was doting, adoring, and Rosemary's eyes lit up  when he touched
her. Still she followed them from the shadows. Her father had  started teaching
her how to stalk prey and how to go unnoticed when she was  five, despite her
mother's complaints that she was far to young. Pulling her  long dark cloak
around herself a little more, she hid and watched as Rosemary  and the man
slipped away from the crowd. She moved closer and watched them, a  smirk
playing
at her lips, her vibrant crystal blue eyes sparkling.

"Where are we going, Nathaniel?" Rosie asked, her hand  wrapped around  his
elbow.

"Ah, well, as accepting of our relationship as Lindsey  is and as much as
she'd stand up for us if it came to the matter, I sincerely  doubt that it
would
make a certain admiral very comfortable if a particular WO4  kissed a certain
lieutenant in public," Nat mused.

"Oh yeah, so where are we going?" Rosie asked pertly, a  smile lighting her
hazel eyes.

Nat pulled her into a corner behind a pillar.   "Right here," he replied as
he pulled her into his arms and lowered his head to  kiss her.

Though she had her mother's beauty, style, and class,  she had her father's
sense of humor which was only made worse by growing up with  their Uncles Bobby
and Hank. She watched from the shadows as Rosemary and the  man kissed and
waited until it looked as if it were getting to a fevered point,  then crystal
blue eyes turned pure snow white.

It was harder to do since there wasn't any natural  atmosphere to manipulate,
but she managed to use what was in the artificial air.

A tiny cloud formed over Rosemary and her man's head,  unbeknownst to the
kissing couple, until that is a cold rain poured from  it.

"What the bloody--?!" Nat sputtered as he suddenly was  drenched.  He looked
up over his head, wondering if they'd been standing  under some sort of
plumbing fixture.  Not a one in sight.  Dark eyes  narrowed in confusion,
though.
"That can't be what I think it  is."

Rosie followed his glance and was caught between a  laugh at the expression
on his face and genuine annoyance.  Pushing wet  hair out of her eyes, she
turned away from Nat and asked, "Okay, where are  you?"

As suddenly as the little cloud appeared it was gone  again, and snow white
eyes once again showed blue. A tall woman in a dark  cloak stepped into sight,
a light playful chuckle coming from under it's hood.  "Right here." Replied
the woman, her voice laced with the softest of  accents, a welcomed and warm
reminder of her mother.

Leaving Nat to make a futile attempt to brush off his  jacket and straighten
his hair, Rosie stepped toward the taller woman, shaking a  finger.  "You just
had to do that, didn't you?  Hmmm?" she  asked, her tone warring with the
smile that was forming.

"Yes I did," the woman replied.  A strand of snow  white hair slipped out of
the hood, looking starkly bright against the dark  fabric of the cloak. "What
fun would it have been to simply tell you I was here?  You're slipping by the
way, I've been tailing you since you left your  ship."

"I was otherwise occupied," Rosie said with a smirk  before she stepped
closer to hug the woman warmly.  "I'm so glad to see  you, Lexie.  What are you
doing here?"

Allowing the hood of her cloak to fall back as she  hugged her 'cousin',
Alexandria smiled a bright smile that lit up her eyes.  "It's good to see you
as
well, Rosemary. And I was waiting for my first  assignment to show up." She
answered. "Which just happened to have brought you  along with it."

"You've been assigned to Tempest?" Rosie asked, her  eyes lighting up.
"Don't listen to all the stories out there.  She's  not cursed or bad luck.
Some
people who shall remain nameless are out to  get some other people."

"That bloody sod Fishler," Nat muttered as he ran a  hand through his hair,
still trying to straighten it.

Rosie hmmphed in annoyance at the sound of the name but  held out her hand.
"Come here, I want you to meet somebody."

Alexandria nodded in reply to Rosie's question. "Stewie  and I are your
latest flight team." Then she smiled like her father. "They might  not be as
good
as my kind of 'flying' but I still can't wait to see your  Kanedas." When the
damp man came closer she looked him up and down.

Taking Nat's hand, Rosie tugged him closer.  "I  want you to meet my cousin,
Nathaniel.  This is Alexandria Munroe.   She's going to be part of the new
flight team.  Lexie, this is Nathaniel  Lynley, captain's aide, crew liaison,
and
generally gorgeous  Englishman."

Nat held out his hand and said, "I'm so pleased to meet  you.  The last time
I met one of Rosemary's family, I think he was rather  frightened of me."

Alexandria flicked the cloak off and then draping it  over one arm before
taking Nat's hand. A warm smile tugged at her lips as the  man's English white
skin brought out more of the caramel color of her own. "Ah  then you've meet
our
fuzzy elf jr. as Pop calls him, and it's a pleasure, Sir."  She offered
respectfully before looking at Rosie and smiling.  "An Englishman, Rosemary?"

"I beg your pardon but there's no need for 'sir' or  anything of the sort in
this situation.  The only people who call me by my  given name are this lovely
creature here," Nat said as he tickled Rosie under  her chin, "and my
grandfather.  Otherwise, I do answer to  Nat."

Rosie chuckled. The man had such manners.   "Doesn't he sound just like the
Professor?"

"That he does and I don't just mean the accent."  Alexandria answered. "And
the only one who calls me Alexandria is my mother and  that's only when she
isn't calling me simply 'Child'." She laughed fondly as a  prick of
homesickness
hit her heart. "To everyone else I'm just Lexie." Her warm  smile turned
playful once more as she looked at the much older man's damp hair.  "There is
one
very noticeable difference between you and our Professor though.  You have
hair." Her laugh, according to her mother, sounded like the wind chimes  in her
rose garden. She looked around quickly before asking, "I can help you dry  off
if you wish."

"Then Lexie it is and just what did you have in mind  about drying off," Nat
asked carefully.

"Mr. Spit and Polish's uniforms are hand tailored by  his nanna.  He's very
picky about them," Rosie teased.

"I don't recall hearing you complain about them fitting  better than the
regular ones," Nat retorted with a smile.

Alexandria looked at Rosie and asked, "I assume since  you were kissing him
that it's safe to be... normal.. around him?"

Rosie looked up at Nat and slid an arm around his  waist.  "He knows and when
he spoke to Vanir on the comm, poor guy didn't  have his image inducer on so
he definitely knows."

To her, she and the people she grew up with were  normal. It was baselines
that were the odd ones. Alexandria nodded at Rosie  before she looked around to
make sure they were still secluded. Once she turned  to look at her cousin and
Nat, her blue eyes were solid white again with no  trace what so ever of an
iris or pupil. A warm swirl of air circled around the  pair until they were
dry.

"Now that is just astounding," Nat exclaimed as he felt  his sleeves.  He
grinned at Lexie, looking so much more boyish when he  did.  "Thank you."

Speaking softly, Rosie said, "He's the only one other  than the captain who
knows, Lexie.  Unless they remember that little  problem from the Academy,
nobody knows."

Alexandria sighed as she nodded. It had been a warning  to them both when
they joined Starfleet. You must be careful, Child. There  are still those, even
in Starfleet, that would cause you harm if they knew what  you were. I know you
are proud of your gifts, as you should be, but you must use  caution in
telling people the truth. Her mother's words had shocked  Alexandria. Never in
her
life had her mother hinted at hiding who and what she  was until then. "Only
Stewie knows about me. He caught me flying solo." She  smiled warmly,
carefully. "He gave me my call sign without even knowing what it  would me to
me."

"And what is it?" Rosie asked.

"Windrider." Alexandria said proudly.

"How very lovely," Nat said warmly.

"And it fits," Rosie stated.  "You should come  with us,  Walk with us."

Nodding her agreement to join them, Alexandria's eyes  sparkled. "It's one of
the nicknames given to my mother other the years.   Stewie had no idea so
when he came up with it for me it was just to perfect." As  they headed back
out
onto the busy catwalks, she blushed a little. "I do  apologize about the
sprinkle, Nat. Rosie and I have ambushed each other that way  since we were
young
teens. I'm actually rather surprised I didn't get  'popped'."

Rosie bit her lip.  Nat was actually infuriated  when he heard about Q. She
didn't think he ever used that sort of profanity  before never mind actually
knowing it.  Even now, when she looked up at  him, she could tell by the
tightness in his jaw that he was building up to a  slow fuse.

"That's a bit of a problem, Lexie," Rosie explained  quietly.  "I got in the
middle of a shin kicking contest between two people  and the only way to
protect some others was to agree to not abuse my  abilities.  I...haven't used
them
at all since before we went through the  wormhole."

"But you have never abused your abilities." Alexandria  looked confused. "Why
would someone ask you not to use them at all? Was it the  Captain? Will I
have to refrain from using mine as well? I don't think I could  agree to that.
I've never been able to hold back, especially from at least  flying."

Rosie blew out a breath that made the white strands  around her face flutter.
 "Oh, no, it wasn't the captain at all.   She's actually been to the
Institute, you know," she began, "when she came to  offer me the position on
Tempest.
It was..." She looked around.  She  hadn't heard from the SOB lately but  you
never knew, "Q."

A soft white eyebrow slowly went up as Alexandria  looked over at Rosie. "And
what business is it of it's? The Professor thinks  that that whole bunch is
more afraid of us then the baselines are."

"You have a very good point," Rosie mused.  "He  had the gall to say that if
we were superior to normal Humans than I should have  superior control.  It
was either agree to the conditions or I'd face  whatever consequences he came
up
with."

"Superior in a dominating kind of way? Does this Q  thing know Magnus?" She
smirked and then rolled her bright blue eyes and shook  her head so that her
long white hair danced about her shoulders. "Consequences..  Please. I'd like
see any entity take on your parents or mine or any of the  others if they
touched one red or white hair on your head. Q or not my Pop would  shred him,
and
you really don't want to touch one of my Mother's babies that's a  sure way
to get a bolt up one's ass."

"Oh, don't I know it.  I remember how mad he was  when they threw that rock
at Vanir," she sad dryly but she looked up at  Nat.  "There are other sorts of
consequences though and that sort I won't  mess with."

Alexandria noted the way her cousin looked at Nat and  understood. "Well I
guess it's a good thing I'll be around then. Uncle Remy  doesn't call me little
stormy for nothing."

Nat still had his arm around Rosie and had managed to  settle himself down.
He offered Lexie a smile and asked, "Have you been  aboard yet then?  All the
Kanedas have been painted with icons.  You  may have to ask the artists to
change the one on yours if it doesn't  suit."

Alexandria shook her head. "Not yet. Wanted to catch  Rosemary first."

"Well, when you're through with checking in, you have  to come have dinner
with us," Rosie said brightly.  "We can do Cajun  because Nathaniel here loves
the stuff."

"And a particular part Cajun lady, too," Nat  added.

"I would enjoy having dinner with you." Alexandria  smiled and nodded her
head a bit. "Ya know Nat, not that it'll ever happen, but  if you were to hurt
my
cousin you would have quite the family to answer  too."

Nat chuckled and shook his head.  "Believe me, I  have no intention of ever
hurting her," he said warmly, "and I was already  physically threatened by a
particular Marine on board Georgetown."

"You remember Eddie and Vivie?  Both of them are  posted to Georgetown and we
had dinner with them before our launch.  Eddie  gave poor Nathaniel a talking
to that would make Daddy proud," Rosie said as she  hugged Nat with one arm.

Alexandria laughed. "I like Eddie, I think Pop would  have too if he hadn't
have flirted with my mother." She paused a moment before  saying, "I hope our
being assigned together will ease some of my mother's worry.  Though it's not
bound to do much for my Pop's feelings. He doesn't like that  I've joined
Starfleet. Doesn't trust the military." Reached under her cream  colored top,
Alexandria pulled out a set of dog tags with her father's call sign  on them.
"Aunt
Marie gave me these before I left."

Rosie smiled at the site of the old style metal ID tags  and touched them
lightly.  "If he knew you had them, as much as a realist  as he is, he'd be
happy," she said gently.  "Like a piece of him was with  you."

That was something he loved about his Rosemary, Nat  realized.  She was very
warm and affectionate with family and  friends.  He could tell how close these
two were, probably as close as she  was to her 'brother', and he hoped that
her parents' fears would be  allayed.  Of course, he also realized that  it
meant Lexie knew Magni  Asgardson, probably friends with the bloke just as
Vanir
Wagner had  been...

"That's what Aunt Marie said." Alexandria smiled  softly. "I've got these for
Pop and this," She pulled up her sleeve to show a  light bolt tattoo on the
underside of her wrist. "For Mother."

"Perfect!" Rosie exclaimed.  "You know, I haven't  had the chance to call
home since the whole mission started.  Nobody knows  about Nathaniel.  Well,
except Vanir."

Alexandria playfully tisked at her cousin. "You really  should call home
while your here on the station. I know your parents would love  to hear from
her
and Uncle Remy might even throw a party in honor of you  dropping the high and
might stick up his ass Maggie-Moo."

Nat covered his mouth but couldn't quite smother a  laugh.  "Tell her what
you did, Rosemary," he said in a barely restrained  guffaw.

"I slugged him," Rosie said pertly.  Pointing  across up the Promenade, she
added, "Right in the middle of  Quark's."

Alexandria let out a very un-Munroe like yelp of glee.  "Yes!"

Rosie grinned.  "That was after he had the gall to  tell me I should give up
Tempest so I could be with him.  SOB never thought  once about doing anything
on my behalf instead.  Nathaniel, here, on the on  other hand, outright said
he'd quit if he had to make a choice.  Even told  the captain about us himself."

"I never liked Maggie-Moo. I'd have lit him up like a  Christmas tree but
every time I tried Mother would stop me." Alexandria grinned  at the image of
actually being able to follow through with that. "I'm glad you  finally have
someone who to truly love you the way you should be  Rosemary."

"As she deserves," Nat said firmly.  "I've my  grandfather to answer to and
my father, as well.  I'd be drawn and  quartered if I failed to treat her
properly.  You know, I've an idea as to  how you might be able to ease your own
parents' minds."

Alexandria looked at Nat as she drew her arms around  herself. "How?" She
asked softly.

"My grandfather knows about Rosemary.  Before I  could ever even get to the
reason I called him, he asked me about her, about  where she came from and what
her family was like.  Would your parents be  more at ease if they knew more
about the backgrounds of the people you work  with?" he asked.

"I think Mother might. Everyone at the school is so  close knit, I think if
she knew I had a system like that here she'd feel better.  So might Pop even if
hasn't forgive me for joining in the first place."  Alexandria answered.

Rosie grinned up at Nat then leaped to hug him around  his neck.  "You really
want to meet them all?"

"Of course, Rosemary, and I was going to add that Lexie  might wish to send
them on a visit to the pub  to meet Alfred and the  others," Nat said simply.

Alexandria beamed. "Pop never turns down free beer even  if it isn't
Canadian. We should get them on the stations  holo-comms."

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Rosie asked  happily.  She knew he'd think
of something.  She could only imagine  the place Nat so lovingly described but
this idea was typical of his  thoughtfulness.  It was perfect.

"Yes, now should be perfect." Alexandria couldn't stop  grinning. "Classes
are over and everyone should be back in the Mansion. Lead the  way oh future
cousin in law."

Nat led them through the Promenade to the holo comm  center.  He probably
could have twisted Quark's arm a bit and used  that  one but he didn't trust
the
man to not listen in.

Stepping up to the controls Alexandria tapped in the  coordinates for the
residence on the Xavier estate in Salem Center, New York.

"Xavier's." Answered the image of stunning redhead.

Alexandria smiled. "Hi Aunt Jean! Are mine and Rosie's  folks around?"

The redhead beamed at the sight of the two girls. "Of  course sweethearts!
Hold on I'll get them."

Rosie had her arm around Nat's waist and she looked up  at him.  "Nervous?"

"You've not met my grandfather, Rosemary.  There's  a man who can see
straight through your soul," he said dryly.

"Yeah but our surrogate grandfather can see right into  your head."
Alexandria teased.

When the holo-projectors flickered into action four  figures stood on the
projection pad. One of the women was tall, an inch taller  then Alexandria. Her
hair was just as white but much longer, her eyes the same  icy blue, and her
skin the same caramel color. The man standing next to her was  much shorter
then
she was, his dark hair a mess they peaked into two points.

"Hey Kid." The gruff man grunted. He smirked at the  sight of Rosemary.
"'Bout time you called home, Squirt."

The tall woman nodded. "Indeed it is, Rosemary." Then  she smiled at her
daughter. "You look well, Child."

Rosie grinned.  These two were 'aunt and uncle'  more than any blood could
be.  She actually waved at her godparents.   "Aunt O...Uncle Logan, I want you
to meet somebody special.  Somebody Lexie  saw fit to rain on."  She pulled Nat
closer.  "This is Nathaniel  Lynley."

Logan would have preferred to sniff the man out but  since these damn things
didn't work that way.

Ororo looked at the man and the first thing that she  noted was his age, not
that sort of thing bothered since they were more then  sure that Logan was far
older then herself. "Good Evening Mister Lynley." She  greeted in a soft,
classical, African accented voice. Then Ororo turned icy blue  eyes on her
daughter. "Alexandria."

Alexandria blushed. "I meant to rain on Rosemary, Nat  just sorta was there.
Oh and it's ok cause he knew about Rosemary so it was  safe."

"Did you know that before hand?" Ororo scolded. "You  could have put herself
at risk, Child."

"Well, I was kinda going on the fact that she was  kissing him at the time."
Alexandria answered.

Logan snorted.

"Who's been kissing my baby?" came a softly accented  voice that reminded Nat
of Rosie's cousin Vivie.

"Mama!"  Rosie crowed as her mother joined the  other two.  "This is
Nathaniel.  He was."

"Madam," Nat said with a polite nod.  Good Lord,  Rosemary looks just like
her.  He smiled.  "I must say I would rather  have first met you in person but
this will certainly so.  I'm pleased to  meet you."

Alexandria smiled, fully aware her mother was still  'looking' at her. "He's
an Ok guy, Aunt Marie. Didn't even get mad when I got  him kinda wet. Oh!" She
turned to her cousin. "Tell them about Maggie-Moo."

Logan growled and snarled at the name.

"I hit him," Rosie said wryly.  "Knocked him flat  on his back in a bar full
of people because he thought I was going to crawl back  and beg to marry him.
The jerk."

"That's our girl." Logan smirked.

Alexandria nodded. "Wish I'd have seen that one."

"You will of course be better then that Mister Lynley."  Ororo warned.

"I told you." Alexandria giggled.

"I will do my best, madam," Nat said simply.  He  smiled at Rosie's mother.
"I was quite ready to resign my warrant and  position if our CO gave me any
trouble over the relationship.  It's worked  in our favor though."

"Take yer paws off my girl, homme.  Dat's my  daughter," came a thick
accented voice.

Ororo looked over at Remy and shook her head gently.  "Be nice, Brother. Give
him a chance."

"Yeah Uncle Remy he's ok so for and I'll be around to  keep an eye out. I was
assigned to Rosemary's ship." Alexandria said.

Ororo seemed to relax just a little at hearing her baby  would be with family.

"Be nice, Daddy.  He's much more a gentleman than  that red headed piece
of--" Rosie cut herself off but she thought she saw her  uncle smirk.

"I'll take good care of her, Mr. Le Beau.  She's  much too special to do
anything less than that," Nat said.  He grinned  then.  "But that reminds me.
realize you can't quite know me even  over a comm but I suggested to Lexie that
you visit my family in Bromley,  especially my brother-in-law's pub.  It
might give you an idea of what sort  of people I come from."

"Bromley." Logan grunted. "Been there only pub worth a  damn is Al's place.
Only one on that part of that damn island with Canadian  beer."

Alexandria laughed again. "Told you that too."

"You callin' me predicable, kid?" Logan growled with a  smirk.

"Unbelievably so my love." Ororo teased as she took  Logan's hand.

Alexandria groaned. "Someone say something before they  get mushie."

"Well, I'm certain that if I ask Alfred to stock up on  some then he'll be
glad to oblige," Nat mused.  "The place is called  George's Dragon, though.
Can't quite miss Alfred either.  Trust  me."

Logan smirked. "Like I said Al's always carried the  stuff."

"Mama, make him stop," Rosie grumbled. "Nathaniel loves  that place."

Ororo gave her husband a 'look' before turning her gaze  back onto the girls.
"We would enjoy a weekend in London. Thank you Mister  Lynley."

Logan grumbled and elbowed the Cajun. "There goes our  credit chips, Gumbo."

Alexandria snickered as she leaned closer to Nat. "And  their some of the
normal ones. Wait till you meet Uncle Bobby and Uncle  Hank."

"Normal is highly subjective, Lexie," Nat said with a  chuckle.  He turned
dark eyes on Rosie's parents.  "I fully intend to  marry your daughter as soon
as she'll let me and I'd like your blessing on  that."

Marie's hand flew to her mouth as she gasped.   Remy, even through his
special glasses, glared at him.  "You hurt my baby  girl and Remy'll kick your
ass,
English."

"Eddie already warning him Uncle Remy and so did I."  Alexandria told the
redhaired man.

"What if you have kids that ain't normal, mister?"  Marie asked.

"Then they'll be ours and that will be normal for  them," Nat said steadily.
"Four of them I think, with at least one boy to  teach hockey and football
to."

"Got that all figured out do you?" Rosie asked  pertly.

"Well, yes," Nat told her.

Alexandria snorted. "Now he thinks he's Irene. Better  not let her and
Vanir's grandmother catch you playing Destiny, Nat. Raven has a  bit of a
temper."

Logan snorted in much the same manner as his  daughter. "A bit of temper?
That's like saying Chuck's a little  bald."

Ororo sighed and rolled her eyes but there was a smile  on her lips.

"That wasn't a prediction, Lexie, it was a dream," Nat  said softly, kissing
Rosie's head in full view of her parents.

Marie slipped her arm around Remy.  She knew the  look in her daughter's eyes
and that she'd never seen it when she looked at  Magni.  "Make her happy and
you're good with me."

"Be smart, homme, listen to your woman," Remy said  wryly.  "She got her
maman's temper."

"Still owes me a pink violet. Plants don't normally  like going boom."
Alexandria huffed.

Ororo looked at her daughter, her arms crossed. "I do  believe that happened
after you 'borrowed' her favorite wool sweater which  shrank when you got it
wet."

Rosie stuck her tongue out at Lexie in a purely  childish act.  "Least I'm
not the youngest like Nathaniel.  He's got  two brothers and a sister and a
whole pack of nieces and nephews.  His home  sounds a lot like ours."

"Minus the exploding flowers,eh, chere?" Remy asked  with a chuckle.

Alexandria laughed. "This is going to be some  reception."