<USS Meridian> Unwavering

  • From: Frankie Wilkinson <ltfwilkinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussmeridian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 09:49:58 -0700 (PDT)

UnwaveringBy Captain Kyle Pierce & Lieutenant SG Frankie Wilkinson

Having sat on the floor for most of the night, his mind was finally made up.
Taking off his uniform, he entered a hot shower, one that would wash away
everything except the sins that had transpired in the past couple of days.

He was sure that the security detail was probably waiting for him to exit his
quarters, to inquire about Mirrie. He had avoided their calls most of the
night. Finally, he dressed in his uniform, and comm'd the computer, "Computer,
beam me to sickbay."

Silently the beam transferred him to the middle of sickbay. He made sure his
office was in order, and nothing was out of place. After making that so, he
made sure that no one needed care in triage.

Finally, he nodded to himself and walked to a turbolift, "Bridge", hoping to
find the Captain there in his office. Making no eye contact with anyone on the
bridge, he walked directly to the ready room door and hit the chime.

Kyle looked up from his PADD and from his computer screen, the talk with
Admiral Halsey did not go as he wanted and he was still unsure of how his ship
would respond to the mass changes in the roster.  Shifting positions was never
easy for anyone; he could only imagine what his crew felt. "Enter," he said
calmly, looking back down at his work.

Once the doors slid open, he walked in, sure of what he had to do, "Captain, I
need to say some things. I have willfully obstructed the securing of Commander
Wilkinson. I was able to locate her in a Jefferies Tubes, and allowed her to
get away, when I had the ability to have her beamed to the brig. For that, I
hereby resign my commission in Starfleet, and I will have my stuff packed and
be on my way back to Earth." He waited for the big boom, as he stared
unwavering at the wall behind the Captain.

"No," Kyle said simply. He gauged the Lieutenant up and down before motioning
to the seat opposite the desk. "I know what it is like to be a husband under
duress. I have first-hand knowledge of that helpless feeling when you think
nothing can go your way. It's human."

There was a momentary pause as he chose his wording. There was no way that he
would let his Engineer-turned-Doctor turn in his commission on something so
trivial. Hell, when Jason Ziredac got caught with narcotics he merely
reprimanded him and sent him on his way. It wasn't Kyle's habit of destroying
good people. "I can't fault you for following your heart. I would give every
member of my crew that protection. You are no different."

Finally lowering his eyes to meet the Pierce's gaze, "Sir?" Finally sitting.
"Thank you. I suppose that I will be packing my stuff anyway, to move into the
Chief Medical Officer's quarters, to be closer to Sickbay." He had quickly
resigned himself to at least the change in quarters, "I suppose command is
sending out a new Executive Officer to us, so I'll want to be moved by then."

"I don't think so, Lieutenant," Kyle said, not really taking the time to gaze
up from the PADD until he finished reading the sentence.  "Admiral Halsey has
given me jurisdiction over finding Mirrie's replacement.  Which leaves me to
choose from members of this crew or other members of Phoenix Force.  I'm not
entirely sure how I want to go about doing this, but I'll need some time.  Take
all the time you need to get yourself organized."

"Aye Sir, permission to return to my duties, then?  I'm sure the crew will be
waiting for the announcement of Mirrie's replacement."  Standing, Frankie
waited for the dismissal.

Kyle shook his head, "Thank you for your continued dedication to this crew and
your wife.  Rarely do I get a chance to see such complex senses of duty.  I
know what it is like to lose a wife, even though it's not the same type of
loss.  Just know that I'm around to talk if you need it."  He nodded, "You're
dismissed to your duties, Lieutenant."

Frankie nodded, "Thank you again for your understanding, Sir", and then he
turned and made his way back to his quarters to prepare for another day.