<USS Meridian> "Ill-Timed Gossip"

  • From: Vivica Christian <wistful_fancy_meridian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussmeridian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:19:56 -0700 (PDT)

Ill-Timed Gossip
Vivica Christian,
Featuring Deonda Breeze with permission

"Ooh, aren?t you the lucky one?" Deonda Breeze whispered, sliding into the seat
next to Vivica?s science console on the bridge.

"What do you mean?" Vivica didn?t take her eyes off the screen, still trying to
make heads or tails of these nebular readings.

"I saw the way you looked at each other."

Vivica didn?t give a response, too caught up in what she was working on to
bother puzzling what the other woman?s vagaries meant.

"The captain!" Deonda continued to whisper excitedly. "You guys have a thing,
don?t you?"

"Deonda!" Vivica?s eyes flashed with embarrassment for a moment before that
slow, inexorable smile took its place.

"I knew it!"

"Shh!" Vivica surveyed the others on the bridge, but no one seemed privy to
their conversation. "We had dinner. Twice. That?s it. Now hush. I have to
concentrate on this."

"You?ve been staring at that console for over two hours and you need a break.
Let?s get a bite to eat."

"There?s not time. This is serious, Dee."

"Well, you should at least rest your eyes. Visual strain isn?t going to help
you figure this out." She leaned closer. "At least stop long enough to tell me
if he?s a good kisser."

Vivica?s eyes widened. "And my mum always said I was the curious one." She
shook her head and laughed softly, loosening several curls from her clip.

"I always imagined kissing him... but everyone knows better than to even try
something with Pierce. He?s still in love with his wife, you know."

"Aye, now you?re crossing past curiosity into nosiness, my friend." Vivica
pushed a wayward curl from her face, thinking back to the night where he told
her the story.

The engine was humming lightly, but everything else was quiet. They sat in his
quarters, sharing a rather good merlot by candle light. Some may have called it
pretentious, but it wasn?t. They were sharing time and nothing more. Vivica
found Kyle to be intriguing and charming in ways she?d never found another man
to be. But nothing would ever be rushed, of that she was sure. Kyle said that
he was a slow mover. Vivica replied that he was in there with the champ...

"Just tell me if he kissed you - please? I?m dying to know! I?ve been around
here for a long time and never have really known him to be interested in a
woman, much less a crew member. This is exciting!"

"You?re making too big a deal about this."

"Please?"

"Everyone knows you don?t kiss and tell."

"So there was kissing involved?"

"I didn?t say that."

"Please?"

"Deonda."

"You admire my tenacity and it?s wearing you down?"

"No, you?re getting on my nerves." Vivica?s accent was a little more
pronounced, but she was more frustrated with the nebula readings than Deonda.
They had become friends from the first day Vivica was on board and had made
connections that weren?t likely to fade.

"Please? If you can?t tell me, who can you tell?"

"Fine." Vivica leaned over and began whispering into Deonda?s ear.

http://mail.yahoo.com