<USS Lovisa> =/\= New Adventures =/\=

  • From: HotSheep4U@xxxxxxx
  • To: usslovisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 17:51:33 EDT

=/\= New Adventures =/\=
by Davey, Grampa, Daniel, and Rikka (in that order)

An adventure, that's what it was.

Davey Armstrong waited solemnly for the long-range shuttle to come within
transporter distance of the USS Lovisa.  It took a lot of self-control not  to
ask his grandfather if they were there yet.  But he was determined to be
patient.  The transport officer had said ten more minutes, and that was  just
seven
minutes ago.

"You'll have to remember to give Rikka that hug from your grandmother and
me," Fionn told the boy, adding, "It'll be a little different for you, having a

girl to plot mischief with."  His eyes twinkled.

Davey saw the twinkle, and heard the faint note of humor in Grampa's  voice.
"Me and Rikka get along good," he assured him.  And having  someone to play
with, he wouldn't miss his brother so much.

"I know you do," said Fionn.  "Just be sure you mind your Uncle Alex  and
Aunt Sarah, and listen to Ruthie and Dan, too.  Your mum and dad have  trusted
them to take care of you, and you have to do your part."

"I will, Grampa," the boy promised.

"We're in range," the transport officer announced.

Davey took his place on the transporter pad, his big duffle beside  him.  A
tingle, a fade, and then he was there.  Aboard the USS  Lovisa.

The next little while was spent getting settled in his new room (in  Daniel's
quarters, which were impressive -- bigger than any shipboard apartment  Davey
had ever seen before!) and learning from the ship's computer which areas
would be open to him and which would be off limits.  His locator badge  would
alert security if he went someplace he shouldn't -- or if he took it  off
outside
the living quarters.

He was just starting to wonder what would happen next, when the door chime
sounded.  Davey heard Daniel going to the door, and then Dan's voice  floated
back to him, "Davey, you have a visitor."

The boy pelted out of his room.  "This hug's from Grampa," he blurted,
giving it to his cousin.  Then he stood back, blushing.  It was a  little
embarrassing to hug a girl, even if she was his relative.

Rikka giggled.  "Thank you," she said through her laughter.   "I've got
holodeck time before supper, did you want to come?" she invited  him.

"Sure," Davey agreed readily, without even asking what kind of program they
would have.  Holodeck time was holodeck time.  He glanced up at Daniel  for
permission.

The young man nodded.  "Is Ruthie going?" he asked Rikka.

"Nope, she's playing with Benjamin," the eight-year-old reported.   "But
Daddy set the holodeck on a timer so the program ends when it's time to  quit
for
supper.  So we won't be late," she assured him.

"Okay," Daniel said, nodding again.  "I'll see you in a little while,"  he
told Davey, and watched the two youngsters skip off down the corridor toward
the lift.

"The thought  that life could be better is woven indelibly into our hearts
and our brains."  --Paul Simon