[ussgeorgetown] "The Interview"

  • From: "N'Ellie Coyne" <nelliecoyne@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:11:08 -0400

"The Interview"
Joanna Murgo and Prudence Carmichael

Darcy sat at her desk outside of Carmichael's office trying not to listen to
the raised voice and muffled responses coming from the other side. Indigo
Cuttler had been sent down for the third time this week. Darcy shook her head
as looked over her computer screen. Why on Earth would anyone want to be sent
to Carmichael more then once she'd never know. The old British woman scared the
hell out of Darcy. There was a sudden loud cracking noise that made Darcy jump.
By the gods how she hated when the woman hit her desk with that awful rattan
cane.

Joanna jumped slightly and frowned at the sound. "What on Earth was that?" she
demanded.

Looking up from her computer, Darcy looked at the woman who'd just entered the
office. "Um.. That.. Well, see that's.." The sound echoed from the office again
and again Darcy jumped. "She's trying to make sure she's being heard." Sighing
she asked. "Do you have an appointment?"

"She is and I do and do tell is she always that terribly loud?" Joanna scowled.

"Not always Ma'am." Sometimes she's louder. "She's rather old old old school."
Looking down at her computer, Darcy tapped a few screens. "Joanna Murgo? Here
to enroll your daughters and to interview for the open teaching position?"
Picking up a padd and stylus she handed it to the woman. "Those are the papers
you'll need to fill out for your daughters." Then another padd. "That's so we
can access their records." Another padd. "And that's for you about the job."

"I believe I shall wait to discuss the matter with her first before filling out
your forms, thank you. If that is her standard method of dealing with others, I
am not certain I am still interested in doing either."

Darcy was about to reply when the inner office door opened. A young girl who
looked to be around sixteen walked out with her padds and books clutched to her
chest, her eyes red but there were no other sign that tears in her eyes had
been shed. Darcy watched as the girl left and then shook her head. A few
moments later a light lit up on her desk. "You can go in, Mrs. Murgo."

"Thank you," Joanna responded, rising gracefully and walking in with an air of
dignified determination. "Good afternoon, Mrs. Carmichael, I'm Joanna Murgo."
She greeted Prue stiffly, taking a full measure of her with her eyes, noting
the rattan cane.

Prudence stood gracefully from her chair, offering her right hand as she held
her long beaded necklaces with the other so they wouldn't clink against the
desk. "Good Afternoon, Mrs. Murgo. Please have a seat." Prudence always liked
watching for the reaction to her little trinkets, but this one was hard to
read. It was clear she was an experienced teacher. Once never allowed one's
self to be readable about children. It gave the teacher the upper hand.

Joanna took the seat offered and waited patiently for the woman to begin.

After taking her seat, Prudence picked up a padd and looked it over. "From what
I was given, you have three girls, two of school age. Francesca, ten and
Abigail, seven. I also see here that you were a highly regarded educator back
on Earth, but that you left at the height of your career."

Joanna nodded slightly. "Correct. I left for the more important career of
ensuring that my children had one of their parents at home, a task which my
husband has since assumed."

"Ah yes. Admiral Murgo." She'd heard quite a bit about the man. Not all of
which she liked. "It says here you taught around the fifth through ninth
grades. That's quite a span."

Joanna noted the tone of the woman's voice when speaking her husband's name,
but chose not to comment. Instead, she answered simply, "Yes, it is."

"You tend to favor English and Literature. You were schooled at
Stoneleigh-Burnham School for Girls, very fine school, for a non British
institution of course. You've a degree in Literature and a Masters as well as a
Doctorate in Education both from Wellesley College." Prudence looked up, taking
her glass off, and looked at the young woman before her. "I must say Mrs. Murgo
it's been a while since I've seen someone of your credentials cross my path.
Most of our teachers are young and rather new with no knowledge or respect for
the old ways."

"I must tell you, I do not always favor the all of the 'old ways' myself, Mrs
Carmichael. One must believe progress occurs for a reason, after all." Joanna
answered evenly.

A rueful smiled tugged at Prudence's not quite weathered face. "I assume, since
you attended Stoneleigh, that you are aware of the effect mere thought of such
ways can have." She picked up the rattan cane, fingering the tip of it. "I am
not against progress, Mrs. Murgo, I just tend to think that we need not forget
how we got here in the first place."

"I got here through hard work and sheer determination, Mrs. Carmichael, and no
amount of banging canes or empty threats can ever be said to have influenced
that or anything else of any worth in my existence. Nor will it be allowed to
influence my children, or any others within my immediate reach." Joanna's tone
remained even, and her face remained calm, yet the edge in her voice left no
question that she meant business.

"As I said before, you have experience that our younger teachers don't have."
Prudence put the cane down and looked at the woman. "They have yet to acquire
their techniques. But there are time when even a teacher such as yourself
requires some form of back up. A hard to handle child, a disrespectful teen," A
knowing gleam lit up the older woman's eyes. "an aggressive, confused, young
hybrid child."

"Interestingly enough, I've found that even children such as those rarely if
ever respond well to table thumping and empty threats. That you would believe
they do in this day and age tells me that you are not likely someone I want
myself or my children associated with. I believe this interview is concluded.
Thank you for your time." She stood and smiled sweetly. "Good day, Mrs.
Carmichael."  She walked out of the office without a backward glance, pausing
only long enough to inform the receptionist that she would not be filling out
her forms after all.

Prudence watched at Joanna left and smiled. Reaching over she slid her computer
in front of her and began typing. A hour later when she was finished she sent
the offer and package she'd worked up to the woman. Her daughters could be in
her class, she'd have free rain, top of the scale, and complete respect. She
also included a note. I have met your young Doctor Coyne. She above all else
shows your skill. P.C.