[ussgeorgetown] Peace of Mind by Vincent Aigremont, Jassa Kost, & Pas Kaartaren

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:10:39 EDT

The chiming of the door brought Pas to his feet.  For once, he knew  it was a
scheduled appointment.  Tawa had explained some of the situation  and Pas had
agreed, even if he was a bit surprised.  Nobody ever agreed to  such things
voluntarily.  He let the door open and held out his hand.

"Come on in.  I don't bite," he said simply.

Saying nothing,  Vincent nodded respectfully and followed Jassa in.  He took
one of the  seats, his back rod-straight.  Glancing around, it was all he
could do to  not shudder at the thought of needing to be  here.

Pas watched as the young woman sat next to Vincent. She was  certainly more
at ease than he was and he had to hide a smile as he saw her  gently pat his
knee as she joined him.  He took a chair opposite them and  sat with his elbows
resting on his  knees.

"So, I admit this is the first time in all my years that I've run across
this sort of situation," he began.  His eyes were as friendly as  usual.  "Now,
Ensign Pax has explained a bit of what's going on but I'd  like to hear it from
you."

Through gritted teeth, Vincent explained  everything from his stand-point.
When it came to explaining his motives  for striking his wife, he had to pause
for a moment to stop his blood-pressure  from rocketing and he reached for
Jassa's hand, squeezing it tightly.  When  he'd finished, he still had her hand
but was staring at his own knees, his face  red from anger, fear and
embarrassment.

Pas  considered the man before him carefully.  He understood his reactions
perfectly, recalling his own flare of anger at Calista's father and what he'd
done to the man.  "Although I don't advocate violence, Vincent, I  understand
why you did what you did.  I'm going to ask you the same thing  that Mr. Pax
did: did you ever strike your wife more than that one  time?"

"No!"  His horror and anguish were clear just from Vincent's  face and voice
but he was also projecting waves of it along with his fear for  his wife,
Jassa and least of all his career.

"Relax, Vincent.  I'm sorry  for having to ask that but I'd be remiss if I
didn't," Pas explained.  He  turned his eyes to Jassa.  Pretty girl, he
thought.
 Even just her  body language says she adores the man.  "So, Jassa, Ensign
Pax tells me  that my version of a polygraph was your idea.  Why would you
suggest that  when it could very well be an invasion of your  privacy?"

Jassa first looked at Vincent.  This was  hurting him in so many ways.  This
is the only way to make Security  sure though.  "Because I know I'm telling
the truth but I'm no  fool.  There are plenty of people who will defend their
attackers out of  fear of being attacked again and nobody would ever be
completely satisfied with  just my answer.  You know, like I was just saying
things to
make him  happy."

Vincent shot her a hurt and worried look.  "Jassa," he  whispered, "ma
petite, no."

"Not you, Vincent," she said  softly, still holding his hand.  "You wouldn't
hurt me.  I know that  and you know that but people might never believe things
just on my word.   Gossip is an ugly thing."

"Oui, ma petite, it is."

Jassa kissed his cheek then  turned her eyes back to the doctor.  "I have
nothing to hide, Dr.  Kaartaren.  I want people to know the  truth."

"Perfectly understandable.   Just sit still and relax, Jassa," Pas said
simply.

She was hurt by Torias' attitude,  rejected for being happy as she was.
Vincent.  He smells like old  bad coffee and alcohol but he's so handsome.
Stay
with me?  Love  me.  I love you.  Do you really think that matrix formula is
what they  used?  Stay with me.  I know you'd never hurt  me.

Pas sat back.  "There?   Was that so bad, Jassa?"

"I'm not sure.  I can't tell  if you did anything," she said dryly.  My spots
are twitching.   How weird...

Vincent searched her face, worry etched on his own.  "Ma  petite?  Are you
alright?"  He glanced at Pas, his eyes clouded with  deep concern.  "What do
you
need from me?  Would it make any  difference to scan me also?"

"Vincent, I'm fine. It was just really strange--like something  happened in
the blink of eye but I can't say what," she told him, her expression
thoughtful.  "I don't see why everyone is always so  worried."

"Because, Jassa, some of my fellow Betazoids take great delight in  taunting
the less psi talented and embarrassing them.  I don't do that and  you should
both know that what I know stays with me. I'm a doctor, after all,"  Pas said,
his dark eyes serious.  His expression lightened, though, when he  looked at
Vincent.  "If you want me to, I can but it isn't  necessary."

"Would it be a strange thing to you if I were to say that I  am even doubting
my own memories now?"  Vincent sighed.  "There are  times when I do wonder if
she is telling the truth.  If you scan me, you  will see the truth of it,
yes?"

Jassa looked at him  curiously.  Now it was her turn to be concerned.  That
woman is  crazy and she's making him doubt himself.  Witch.  She wrapped an
arm around his waist.

"Vincent, believe  me, you are telling me the truth.  Only the truly
psychotic  can project their emotions so falsely and believe them.  You are
definitely
 not psychotic.  Do this:  just sit still one moment like Jassa did and
you'll see..."

White flowed and whipped in a breeze, her veil  caught in spring's winds.
Elspeth, you're  so beautiful, I love you...  A flash of anger stabbed through
him as  a tall, dark haired man approached them.  I'll protect you, even from
your father, I  swear.  I'll keep you safe...  but I didn't, did I?  All that
pain... Elise.  A tiny form, not even two weeks old, dead in his  arms.  We
did this, Elspeth, you and  I...  You and I...   Photo stills in his hands of
the body of the woman he loved covered in  bruises...  Who did this to you?
Who...  who ...

Pas leaned forward in his chair, his dark eyes filled with concern.
"Vincent, you did not do anything other than what you admitted to," he said
quietly,
his voice at once firm and warm.  "Believe me, from what Tawa told  me and
from what you and Jassa just showed me, you did not do what you  think.  Don't
doubt yourself that way."

Warm tears tracked down  Vincent's cheeks.  "Who did?"  I  still love her,
don't I?  Does that mean that I don't truly love  Jassa?  Even unsaid, he
pushed
the questions at Pas, not wanting  Jassa to hear them but needing the answers
just the same.

Pas blinked and seemed to be  thinking about something .  He got up, took a
holopic off the desk he  shared with Lish, then sat back down.  "I know how you
love children,  Vincent.  That's my daughter Mika.  You may have seen her
rampaging  about the ship with the other girls.  They're quite the little
terrors," he  began, his eyes dancing at the thought of his baby.  "She looks
like me
but  he attitude is all her mother.  She died when Mika was only two.  That
damn near killed me.  It's taken me until now to realize that I can still
honor what I had with Shalara and still be perfectly happy with Calista.
We're
getting married."

For the briefest of moments relief flooded  Vincent's face.  He took Jassa's
hand in his own and lifted it to his lips,  still looking at the picture.  "Is
there anything else that you need from  us, mon ami?"

Jassa saw the look on Vincent's face when he looked at the little girl's
picture.  Big tough Marine with such a tender heart.  "She's  adorable, Dr.
Kaartaren.  I think I've seen her with that rather large  Klingon lady."

Pas shook his head.  "I  should be the one asking that question," he said
with a chuckle, "but, no, we're  done with what needed to be done legally."  He
outright laughed at Jassa's  description.  "Yes, that would be Lady Gressa, her
nanny.  I'm  overprotective of those I love."

"You  are a deeply devoted father.  No one could ever fault a man for  that."
 Vincent stood, pulling Jassa with him.  "Good day to  you.  And thank
you..."  For peace of  mind.

You're very welcome,  Vincent.  "Don't thank me, folks.  I certainly enjoy
helping  people out.  Stop by any time."

Jassa wrapped her arm around  Vincent's waist as they left, enjoying the
simple pleasure of walking with  him.  "Are you alright?"

"I am now, my love."  He kissed the  side of her head, resting his cheek on
her crown.  "I'm with  you."