[ussgeorgetown] A Moment of Conversation by Nan Ecitsuj & Alex Lazzara-Henderson

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 05:36:50 EDT

***takes place before 'Family Dinner' and 'Happy at Home'

For Nan, one of the best  things about getting released from Fleet Medical
was being able to just plain  move.  He wasn't prone to fidgeting but sitting
still as long as he had had  to got to him.  He was high energy before the
accident and had become more  so afterwards.  He would rather have persuaded
Aileas
to go skiing on the  holodeck with him but she was still on duty.  Nan knew
better than to  protest after the look Five gave him so he'd kissed her cheek
and headed to the  gym for a run on the track.  Good exercise, he told himself.

After having run several laps around the track Alex decided to take a  break.
She knew if her "PT" person found out, he would have her doing jumping  jacks
or something. She knew her limitations so far, besides she had other  matters
on her mind. Her leg was the least of them.

After his third or fourth lap, Nan realized he wasn't alone on the  track.
His eyes lit up as he recognized one of his companions from the  shuttle ride
that brought him to the Georgetown.  Though he was, by no  means, even remotely
tired, he slowed to a walk.  Nan Ecitsuj was, after  all, a very sociable
man.  He with an energetic bound, he dropped to the  mat next to Alex.  "Now
this
is a face I haven't seen in some time," he  said brightly.

Looking around Alex realized  that the voice was talking to her. She was
trying to remember where she had seen  this strange looking man, finally it
came
to her. "We met on the shuttle ride on  the way here did we not? How come I
haven't seen you around the ship in all this  while?" What the hell is his
name??

"Ah well, it's not like I was hiding but my little transporter kingdom is
very far away from the bridge.  Plus, I didn't know that my dearest friend  in
the galaxy was posted to this ship.  Oh and my quarters aren't anywhere  near
officers' country.  Hmm...make that weren't," Nan said, smiling  brightly as he
added the last part.

"Do I detect a bit of love  in the air? Nan isn't it? That's all right, I
haven't gotten out much myself,  between the lock down and trying to celebrate
an
anniversary, that kinda went  bust, when it turned into brunch for 7. So what
brings you to the world of the  tortured? I thought you preferred a colder
climate?"

"Yes, it's Nan.  You can't get out much at all when the XO confines  you to
the ship," Nan said dryly.  "And that's quite all right because it  turned out
well enough.  I'm sorry about your meal, though."

"Thanks, but I suppose in  the long run it wasn't too bad. Why has the XO
confined you to the ship? I know  a lot has been happening, but I didn't think
was that far out of sorts."  Granted, I have been busy else where and somewhat
distracted lately.  "So, why are you down  here with us tortured souls
instead of with your lady friend? I would think that  would be a much better
place
to be." Alex thought of stretching and getting up,  but she was too sore and
too tired to move.

Nan threw back his head and laughed.  Tyelis still made him angry but
Renaldi had been fair.  Then there was that bizarre argument he and Aileas
had.  It
was wonderful.  "We sort of assaulted somebody down on the  station," Nan
explained.  "He deserved it for being a murdering bastard who  got off without
punishment.  We fessed up before Mr. Renaldi could find out  so we are
appropriately confined.  As to the whereabouts of my lovely  Lieutenant, she's
working
at something in her lab still."

Alex just sort of chuckled,  "How do you sort of assault someone and who is
this lady friend of yours? Don't  mind me, I'm a little nosey at times, keeps
me from having to do...do what a  certain bastard of my own wants me to do."

"Sort of meaning 5 of 12 had him by the throat before I could slug  him.
Then the sniveling twit fainted and you can't just hit unconscious  people,"
Nan
replied as if he were reporting the weather.  He shrugged it  off and added,
"And she would be my lady friend, by the way--Lieutenant McKay,  that is.  I
don't mind nosey, either.  She's an absolute  wonder."

"Everyone should have  someone special in their life. I am happy you have
found yours. So why are you  running around this track willingly? I have some
creep that makes me and If I  had known you were around, I would've gladly let
you hit him, conscious or  unconscious."

"Exercise for the leg," Nan said as he patted his outstretched left  leg.  "I
know it's all in my head but I have to do something to get rid of  the
sensation and running takes care of it.  I've come to find out that my  parts
were
stolen from an assimilated Vulcan, not made for me, so that's why I'm  always
having trouble with them."  He gave Alex a curious glance.  "I  don't generally
look for people to hit but who is it you wanted me to swing  at?  And why?"

Alex listened to Nan talk  about his assimilated parts and thought of her
leg. "I guess we have something  in common. My leg is attached using Borg
technology, it was that or nothing,  considering the circumstances at the time.
As to
who I would hit, that would be  one Revaed S'Aehallh'Nveni, who has
apparently convinced Dr. Michaels that I  need more PT to gain control over my
leg, or
"thing" as I like to call it. He is  rather rude, uncaring, and in my opinion
a plain everyday jerk. Not to mention a  bastard."

Nan couldn't help but laugh.  He waved a hand to excuse himself.   "I'm
sorry.  I'm not laughing at you.  I know the man.  I'd use  the word obnoxious
myself, and maybe opinionated, but he's not uncaring."

Alex just looked at Nan. "He  may not seem uncaring to you, but as far as I
am concerned anyone who tosses him  out the nearest air lock would be high on
my list. All he does is yell, has no  empathy for someone dealing with the loss
of a limb. He's just a  jerk."

"Strange man," Nan said with a shrug.  "You ought to watch him with  the
children.  He's very cautious yet he treats the older ones with the  gravest
courtesy.  It's amusing."  He moved to lie on his side, his  head propped up on
his
elbow.  He spotted the hook where he'd hung Butler  and grinned even wider.
"These sorts of people make life more interesting,  don't you think?  This is
a wonderful ship."

"Strange does not even  describe him. If I had to choose between which of the
two Romulans onboard I  would have punched, I would have punched him and not
the doctor. As it is,  waking up after surgery and seeing a Romulan standing
over you, instinct kicked  in and I ended up hitting the poor Doc with a right
upper cut. I don't know if  he has forgiven me yet or not. The doctor was
among the group of Rihannsu  who boarded and tried to capture the Golden Eagle
while I was serving on it. Now  here they both are on the Georgetown." She
looked
at Nan for a moment, then  grinned, "Don't even say it's a small world or I
will have to let "thing" have a  swing at you."

"My people would say it is a rich Story so now you can't say I said
anything," Nan said pertly.  "As for the good doctor, he's also very
interesting.
Perhaps a bit reserved but a good doctor I'm told."

"I have to give the doctor  credit. He changed sides during the invasion and
was a great help to Dr.  Michaels, and he did manage to help out with my leg.
He is now working as a doc  on this ship. It's taken a while but he seems to
have found a niche and is  fitting in. As for Revaed he can go out the nearest
airlock and it wouldn't be  soon enough for me."

"Ah now I know things you don't know...finally," Nan said with an innocent
grin.  "I should think he's fit in quite well really.  He's moved in  with our
Security chief.  I do believe they're married...bonded..whatever  one calls
the situation between a Vulcan and a Romulan."

Am I never going to get  away from that retched Revaed? "You mean the old
coot finally found someone  who would have him? God bless the poor soul! I am
doing just fine with my rehab  and have yet to understand why he finds it
necessary to give his input? It would  be one thing if I had asked him for it,
it is
quite another to just assume I  will accept it." Surely there must be an air
lock nearby made for  him....

Nan looked puzzled.  "I know with my people that it's hard to tell age  by
hair color alone but I understand that the doctor's gray at his temple's is
premature.  I don't think he's quite hit fifty if I can judge as Senek's
taught
me."

"As long as he stays away  from me, the happier I will be. That's all I can
and want to say about him. So,  what are your intentions towards your lady
friend?"

"Why don't you like Dr. tr'Ghaladriel?  I'm sure he's quite over the  sucker
punch you gave him.  If he wasn't, I'm sure that Dr. Michaels would  never
have allowed him aboard," Nan asked, a puzzled frown on his face.   Then he
smiled as he thought about his beloved.  "As for my dear  Lieutenant...I will
be
with her for as long as she can stand me."

"I wasn't talking about Dr. tr'Ghaladriel. I was talking about Revaed. He's
the old coot who insists I must walk then run if I am to gain full function
and  control of my leg."

"Good at his job, I hear," Nan said simply.  Besides, if he made  Jassa's
life a little easier, he's alright by me.  He tapped his lips  pensively.  "Be
glad you haven't had to call the parents of the man whose  body parts you now
have to tell them you live because their child was murdered  by Fleet officers.

It was not pretty."

"He may be good at his job,  but the man could show some compassion. It
wouldn't kill him. How did you end up  with the body parts of a man murdered by
Fleet officers? If I am being too nosey  just let me know. I can't imagine
having
to deal with that."

"I don't think I can quite give details.  There is a great deal  of...Humans
say 'cloak and dagger' going on.  I only found out the details  after Aileas
told me they were Borg in nature.  I didn't know and I was,  still am,
thoroughly sick about it,"  Nan explained.  "The only thing  I could do was
apologize
to his parents..."

"That must have been  horrible, both for you and for the family.  I have no
idea where the  technology for my leg came from, other than it uses Borg
nanites in some  capacity. I was not in the best of conditions when it was all
explained to me. I  just chose what was the best option at the time. At least I
hope it was the best  option. I don't know about you, but I better get up and
at
least walk a few laps  before the creep who deems it neccessary for me to
abide by his instructions  will be back after me. You are welcome to come along
if
you wish."

"If you mean the enarrain," Nan said with a humorous smile, "he has already
been here,"  The look on his face became almost mischievous.  "We had  a
discussion about the advice he offered and then I hung Ensign Butler up on one
of
the equipment hooks.  Quite a lovely afternoon.  Thank you for the  offer but
I think I need to go home.  Aileas will be waiting."

"Okay. It was a pleasure  talking to you Nan. I hope we can do it again
sometime. I need to walk out these  kinks before heading back, so you take it
easy
and don't hang anyone else up on  the hooks, unless of course it is Revaed.
Have a good evening."

Alex walked a few laps then  dried off with her towel, grabbed her gym bag
and headed back to her quarter's.  She knew that she was going to have to
invite
Tawny for dinner and she wasn't  looking forward to it.