<USS Eagle> What's Plaguing the Montave? DL: Dr. Compton

  • From: JM <alleymarziacat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:44:41 -0800 (PST)

What's Plaguing the Montave?
Duty Log: Dr. Compton CMO

Daisy filled Fenway in with what she knew about the situation on the planet
then briefed him and the rest of the sickbay staff regarding the examinations
the Ambassador’s staff who were due to arrive at any second. Once done, she
straightened her uniform, ran her fingers through her short dark hair. She put
on her friendliest, most congenial smile and stepped into her office where
Ambassador Antov was waiting.
“I see you helped yourself to the coffee. How do you like it?” She inquired
while she casually examined him with her medical scanner.
“Mmmmm. Quite tasty!” He lifted the cup and took another sip. " I’ve never had
coffee quite like this. What did you call this again Dr. Compton?"
“Please, call me Daisy. That’s what we call a cafe au lait. It’s made with a
blend of coffee and chicory and warmed milk.” She put her scanner down and went
to the replicator.
“Another cafe au lait and an order of beignets with plenty of powdered sugar
please.” With a quick flash and a whir the requested items appeared and the
small room was filled with the aroma of sweet fried dough. “These are
traditionally served with our cafe au lait.” She placed the plate between them
on the desk and picked up one of the doughnuts and pulled it apart revealing an
airy open center. Daisy then dunked it into her coffee and took a big bite.
“Try it.” She said between chews.
Antov took a tentative bite of the offered snack. He cautiously chewed. Much to
his surprise, he really liked it. “This is delicious!” He told Daisy.
“I’m glad you like it.. Ambassador. Would you mind telling me a little more
about the Montave? You mentioned you needed to act more primitive to gain
trust. Exactly what did you need to do?”
“Well,” he actually blushed a bit. “We shed most of our uniforms, and the
technology. They seemed more accepting of us. Not totally open, but they would
let us observe them in their everyday lives.”
“Interesting. The universal translators allowed you to communicate effectively?”
“It took three days before the UT could give us a comprehensive language base.
Our communication, before then, was mostly hand signals. I imagine they thought
us fast learners, once the UTs started properly translating.”
“Thinking over what you observed, can you remember anything that could be a
clue to why they started to get sick. Did you notice a change in their routine?
Did they eat a special meal? Did the sickness start with the old or young,
males or females.” She paused and smiled. “I’m sorry to ask so many questions
but your memory could be as effective at saving these people as any medicines I
might be able to administer.”
“But of course,” Antov answered, with a dismissive wave at the doctor’s
apology. “We never did find out who started to get sick first, or which ones
were struck. We were just told of ‘the great sickness’ and asked to leave the
village, then. We continued observation from quite a distance away, but close
enough to see that more and more of the Montave were being afflicted.”
“So once they started to become ill they refused further contact?” Daisy was
still concerned that the Ambassador’s party had somehow infected the native
population. .
“That’s correct, Doctor,” Antov confirmed. He, too, felt deep-down that it was
his team that had caused this illness, but so far they could not find anything
to point to it. All of his team was healthy. The examinations ordered by
Commodore Fyrstk would prove that.
An upsurge in noise and activity outside her office attracted Daisy’s
attention. The Ambassador’s staffers had arrived and Dr. Fenway was
coordinating the examinations.
“What types of symptoms did you observe? Were you able to take any scans of the
Montave before or after they got sick that we might be able to use?”
“The best we can tell of their illness, is the Montave get extremely weak, and
their systems break down. We never got any close up scans, because the Montave
did not trust our instruments.”
“What exactly do you mean by their systems break down?” Was there any coughing
or sneezing? Did you see any vomiting?" She pressed for more details.
“Yes,” Antov admitted. He looked down at his cup. “I’m afraid they exhibited
all of these symptoms.”
Daisy finished her coffee and got up to get another cup. “Can I get you another
cafe au lait?” She offered.
“That would be delightful.” He replied. She requested the beverages and handed
one to the Ambassador then perched on the edge of her desk sipping the coffee.
“Just a few more questions Antov… Have you noticed if the Montave have any
healers or shaman who are treating the ill? Have any of the sick recovered or
died?”
“I am fairly certain they do have healers,” Antov told her. “We did notice
certain ones that seemed to care for the others. I am also certain there have
been deaths.” He frowned, remembering some of the things he had seen on the
planet. “We have to find an answer to this, Doctor.”
“That’s what I intend to do Ambassador.” She picked up a small vial and
neosyringe. “I’d like to get a quick blood sample to analyze before I forget.”
“Certainly,” Antov said. He extended his arm out for her to get her sample.
Daisy sterilized the area with an alcohol wipe and quickly filled the vial. She
looked out into sickbay. “I should go see if my people need any help with your
staff.”
She rose from the edge of the desk and waited for him to stand. She took his
right hand in both of hers and smiled. “Thank you for answering my questions.
Whatever the cause of this illness is, we’ll get to the bottom of it.”

###