<USS Eagle> "Growing Decisions"

  • From: Malachi <malachistyles@xxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 11:41:48 -0400

ON

Malachi's evening with Melody was everything it had promised to be.  A nice quiet dinner, a walk around the ship ending at the observation lounge, which provided a spectacular view of Federa II.  They went back to Melody's quarters for some more .... private time.  Malachi was tempted to just spend the night there, but he wanted to talk with his father, in the morning, before their shifts started.  Plus, this would be the last breakfast he would have with Lukas, providing everything was going smoothly with the Federa Colonies situation.

Lukas  was up at 06:00 hours.  As always, when one of his crew was off-ship, on an away mission, he never slept evenly.  Overall, he was certain Gwen was not in any danger, but she was still on an away mission.

Malachi woke to the aroma of eggs and sausage coming into his room. He rose, put on his "uniform," and strolled out to the common area of Lukas's quarters.

Lukas smiled as he saw Malachi come out of his room.  "Ah was hoping you wouldn't be able to sleep though this."  The table had already been set for two.

"I am never able to resist this breakfast," Malachi said. He sat down at the table and pouted himself a cup of coffee from the caraf.  After a long moment, Malachi said very seriously, "Father.  There is something I have been contemplating doing."

LuKas, seated across from Mal, dished some eggs and sausage onto his plate.  He looked at his son.  "It sound serious, Mal."

:It, sort of, is," Malachi said with hesitation,  He also put some eggs and sausage on his plate.  "And I am hesitant to mention it, because i do not want to hurt you.:

"Hurt me?" Lukas asked.  He took some tentative bites from his plate.

"Yes, sir," Mal answered.  "You see, I have debated the idea of using my birth name for the Academy."

"You mean Stahles, rahght?"

"Yes, sir," Mal confirmed, quiety. "No offencse to you or anything, I am just attempting to...." He paised looking tor the right words.

"Fahnd your own way," Lukas finished for him.  "Not be judged bah your father or his reputation."

"Yes," Malachi again confirmed.  "Not the you have a bad reputation or anything, sir.  In fact, quite the opposite.  I suppose I do not want people to expect too much of me."

Lukas chickled.  "The Stahles name has more notoriety, in Starfleet, than mahne does.  Your mother has a few historic missions under her belt as does your uncle, Rick."

"That is true, sir," Malachi admitted, "but, I believe I can blend a little easier with the other students with Styles. I do hope I have not offended you."

Lukas offered his adopted son a broad smile.  "No, son.  You haven't.  In fact, you have shown me how much you have grown since coming on board the Eagle.  Ah couldn't be prouder of you."

Malachi smiled with relief.  This topic had been weighing heavily on him.  He loves this man, seated across from him. Loved him almost as much oas he did his own mother.  Leaving this ship would not be an easy thing for him, but he knew the day had come, and it was time.  He and Lukas talked more, over breaksfast, discussing the Academy and things to come.  Malachi was now set to depart at 14:00 hours, depending on the ship's status.  A small part of Mal almost wished something would happen.

OFF
Commodore Lukas Fyrstk
Commanding Officer

Acting Ensign Malachi FYrstk