<USS Eagle> "Friendly Advice"

  • From: Roman <RomanHaas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usseagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:24:22 -0500

ON

LT. Vanik set the station keeping controls to automatic.  He then stood up from the helm station and walked around the bridge, stretching his legs.  His walk took him over to the OPS console.

Hailey sat at the Ops console, working on keeping everything coordinated in the transfer from the Eagle to the Athena.  She took a moment to write something down on her PADD to be used for her reports.
T L Lost: As Vanik walked over, Hailey looked up at him and smiled, "Hey Lt."

"You know," Vanik said quietly to Wren.  "That was probably a mistake you made with Dr. Melody."

She raised an eyebrow and looked at him, slightly annoyed.  "What makes you say that?"  She really thought the whole thing was rather stupid.  She went to a counselor once a year, for the required psych eval.  Which she had had just prior to coming onto the Eagle.  She saw no point in being part of whatever it was that the Doctor was doing.

"Now  you know, of course, I am not going to say anything," Vanik said taking a quick look around the bridge, "but you know how some of the others talk, and you aren't exactly the best liked person onboard ship.

"You are not doing such a good job hiding your PADD.  People are real suspicious.  I know for a fact some would like to have stuffed you in one of the cargo containers that are going over to the Athena.

"Having at least one, maybe two friends on the ship could help your image some.  And, Dr. Melody really isn't that bad. A bit naive maybe."

Hailey looked at him curiously, "Why would I want to hide my cheat sheet?  No one expects me to know everything, do they?"  She just ignored his comment about Melody for the time being.  That was a can of worms that she wasn't ready to open at this time.

"Cheat sheet, yeah," Vanik said, almost laughing.  "We all used them when we were in the academy, Hailey, but we didn't carry one everywhoere we went."

"I only carry it on duty.  Call it my security blanket, if you will.  This ship doesn't exactly do the mundane.  It gets very stressful at times.  Having the PADD helps reassure me."

She smirked up at Vanik and then whispered almost too quietly for him to hear, "I have all the cute guys from the Academy on here too.  Maybe I should add yours for the collection."

"It certainly sounds like a plausible reason," Vanik replied, "For a more insecure type person.  And flattery will not help change the subject."

Hailey laughed and and said quietly again, "You sure?  I would put you right on the top of the list.  I have a friend back at the Academy who would be sooooo jealous that I'm working with you.  Hmmm, speaking of which, I should definitely send her a communique."

"Ahhh, you're a crafty one, Cadet Hailey Wren," Vanik jibed. His demeanor turned a bit more serious.  "Listen, I just want you to think about what I said.  I think you're going to be a top-notch officer Hailey, and I guess I want others to see it too."

Hailey leaned back and smiled.  "Maybe we could talk about that more indepth later.  When we can have more . . . privacy."

"We don't need to get any more private, Hailey," Vanik said.  "This is just a little friendly suggestion. I have to get back to my console."

Hailey looked at Vanik for a moment, "I meant some place where we could actually talk more freely."  She shrugged and looked back to her console.

"Dinner this evening, then," Vanik answered.

A smile crossed Hailey's face, "Works for me.  Thank you."

OFF
Lt. Vanik
NPC Helmsman played by Roman Haas

Cadet Hailey Wren