[ussbansheec] The Start of the Lost Weekend

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:55:51 -0400

Somehow or another, their personal nickname of 'the brat quad' had become public but none of the four had ever heard it said as anything less than accepting or even slightly amusing. Of course that didn't stop the stares and whispers as they headed back to their rooms.

"It could have been worse," Coaimhe said eventually.

"That much is certain," T'Cerys agreed.

With the four days suspension already served, the five were further suspended from any Academy functions for another four days. They did not, however, lose the weekend pass that all first years were getting.

"At least he let our parents stay for a little bit," David added.

"And they did not seem to be too terribly angry with us," Etienne mused.

"Oh my dad was mad about something alright but he wouldn't tell me what," David said with a shrug as they entered the building. "I asked but he just said 'be a good lad, mind your temper, and don't worry about that'."

"Yes, but your mother--she called you by your full name. In my house, that would be a sure sign that you are in trouble. You saw the look on mon père's face? Picture that along with 'Etienne Constantine Aigremont'..." Etienne gave a shudder. "Not a good thing."

"He didn't chew you out in private?" Coaimhe asked.

Etienne grinned at her. "Maman was shaking her head but Papa sat there and told me that we should have found a dark corner and done some damage that couldn't be traced back to us."

"Now that sounds reasonable," David said, an impish smile in his face.

"I thought so, though..." Etienne glanced at T'Cerys. "Does your father always react like that?"

"He is himself," T'Cerys said archly, the amusement in her eyes very clear. "One can hardly be otherwise when you consider that my grandparents are, to use Grandfather's term, 'hippies'...for Vulcans in any case."

Coaimhe giggled at that. "Yet he and Daddy can still be friends and irritate each other after all these years."

"He's brilliant," David pronounced as they entered the common room of their quad. He dropped into his usual position on the sofa, in the corner with long legs stretched out in front, then asked, "Well, what shall we do with four days of nothing to do?"

"A vacation," Etienne stated.  "A change of scenery."

"Where shall we go?" T'Cerys asked. There was no doubt in her mind but that they'd go together. It would seem too strange right now to do otherwise.

"It should be beautiful," Coaimhe began.

"And have good cuisine," Etienne added. The others nodded vehemently. They'd missed afternoon mess hours.

"And good music," T'Cerys said with an almost smile. She loved music as much as her father did.

David grinned. "I know just the place. Before my parents got married, they used to sneak around anywhere but in San Francisco. They'd go to back to Bromley or New York or the city my Grand Dad Remy comes from--New Orleans. I've been there a few times with the family. Coaimhe, it is most definitely a lovely city. They did a magnificent job at reconstruction, really. Etienne, there's no way we could starve to death in that city. The food is beyond compare to the point that, even my Uncle Alfred will say it's 'good'. High praise for him you know."

"And music?" T'Cerys asked.

"Jazz, Cajun, Creole, and Zydeco but you'll have dance with me, " David replied, putting on his father's best smile.

T'Cerys' answer was to raise one elegant brow but Etienne laughed out loud. Even before the commandant had him moved, he liked this odd trio of brats and he was beyond pleased when they dubbed him a fellow brat and made the trio an official quad.

"Tres bien but then we go to see this pub you are so fond of," he said.

"Ladies?" David asked. "If my sisters aren't all home, we can stay at our house or at Uncle Alfred's afterward."

~~~~~~~~~~
Dinner at Sisko's Creole Kitchen was one of those things that any visitor to New Orleans, especially any Starfleet officer who knew his or her history, had to have. It was easy for the owner to spot Fleet officers who came in civilian dress, since he'd been around them for so much of the earlier part of his life. Besides, he wondered, how often do we see civilian Vulcans or Trill here? He'd been surveying the main dining area from the entrance to the kitchen but he crossed the room to greet the four young people who were talking to the hostess.

"Now, you I remember," he said to the dark haired young Human male. "You've been here with your parents and sisters a few times. Now, what was your name...ah ha! David! David Lynley, am I right?"

"Yes, sir, it is. My mates and I have come to this lovely city to it for itself and then for good food and music," David explained.

"You guys came to the right place on the right day." The owner, a dark skinned Human in his forties grinned at the group. "I'm Jake Sisko, grandson of the original Sisko who owned this place and tonight, in our outdoor dining area, we have both the fine cuisine my grandfather was known for and the sounds Ville Platte."

Jake could remember being as young as the four in front of him and recognized the looks on their faces, even the Vulcan girl's: score! He waved one of the waiters over. "Set up the corner table on the terrace for these nice young people," he said. "Now, while we wait, who have we got here?"

"This is T'Cerys Menkara, Coaimhe Ecitsuj, and Etienne Aigremont," David replied as he pointed out each of his friends.

"Such lovely ladies," Jake said warmly, in his grandfather's best, most charming, voice, "and not to worry, Miss Menkara, the chefs know how to make several vegetarian dishes that still manage to shout 'New Orleans' at the tops of the virtual lungs." He looked curiously at Etienne. No, not Trill but maybe half, at least. And especially with that name. "Parlez-vous français, mon ami?"

"Mai, naturellement, monsieur. Je suis de Nice," Etienne replied gravely with a slight bow.

"Perfect! Antoine will just love you," Jake said as he indicated the waiter who was returning. "Antoine, the young man on the end is from Nice."

Antoine was a rather large man yet he managed to actually look comfortable in the casual uniform of his employment. Probably in his late fifties, the dark skinned man grinned at Etienne. "Tres bien, eh, young homme? Let Antoine see how fast he can curdle your père's Gallic sensibilities," he said as he clapped a large hand on Etienne's shoulder. "I send you home speaking like un indigène du Vieux Carré. Now, come follow me."
Dinner, Jake saw, was an unqualified success. He knew that Academy cuisine was serviceable at best and that most of the cadets that passed through would eat anything not nailed down, but these four seemed to enjoy themselves utterly. He could have sworn he saw the Vulcan girl smile upon tasting Aunt Judith's red beans and rice with Creole seasoning. Of course, she also seemed to smile at young Mr. Lynley, too. Interesting, he thought.

After dinner he watched them all, too. The young Frenchman, who, at first, struck him as the serious type was keeping Antoine in stitches. He and the pretty girl with the bright green eyes, who insisted she couldn't dance--that it was something inherited from her mother, kept chattering with Antoine every time young Lynley and the Vulcan girl would get up to dance. ~~~~~~~~~~
Elizabeth Talmadge found her husband where she found him every morning, drinking a cup of tea in the kitchen. The bear sized man had yet to slow down even if he was seventy-seven years old.

"Alfred, did you bring somebody home with you last night?" she asked as she poured herself a cup.

"Four somebodies, actually. David's here with three of his mates from school. They popped round to the pub just around closing to see if they could stay the night since the girls are all home at Nat's," Alfred said with a smile. He was pleased that the boy had thought of their home first, even if he was on good terms with his other uncles, too.

"Brilliant! I'll just peek in and see if they'll be wanting breakfast," Elizabeth said as she bustled out of the room. She found herself smiling. David, ever the gentleman, had set the two girls of the quad up in what used to be Simon and Benjamin's room. Both of them were still fast asleep. She found David and his young friend were sprawled out on the sitting room floor, equally asleep. She tiptoed in and bent to pull the blanket up over David again. "There you go, dear."

"Thanks, Aunt Bett," David murmured sleepily.