[ussbansheec] The Doctors are In

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:54:56 -0400

***takes place before the original launch

One's own quarters were something to be treasured. Aneirin knew that. He would see to his unpacking at a sedate pace since he now had the time. First, he told himself, one pays one's respects to the daise. He smiled his father's smile at his reflection then composed himself to his mother's calm before heading to Sick Bay.

"Perfection," Victoria sighed as she surveyed her Bay. "Everything in its own proper place." Dusting off an already spotless shelf, she grinned and then turned her attention to her office.

Aneirin stepped into main Sick Bay and looked around. It was as spotless as any of his father's had been. As neat as any of his mother's labs. He nodded with approval. One could always tell a lot by the first impression of the room. There were no people in the room but his sharp hearing caught notice of sounds in the CMO's office. He approached then rang the chime.

Humming softly, Victoria set a plant on a small table near the view port before calling out for whoever it was to come in. When she turned around, she smiled brightly. "First patient?"

"I certainly hope not," Aneirin said mildly, a hint of a smile playing at the corners of his mouth He nodded politely to her and added, "No, ma'am. Perhaps the first assistant?"

"I get staff?" Victoria grinned as she held out her hand. "Doctor Victoria McEntire. Make yourself at home. Do you get an office or do you share mine or... Sorry, excuse me, I've never had staff before."

Aneirin raised a brow in curiosity. "I really have no idea actually. I've never had my own office so that would be up to you, ma'am." It wasn't a custom of either half of his heritage but he understood it any way. He shook her hand very carefully, mindful of how small it seemed and not wanting his Vulcanoid strength to harm her. "I am Aneirin tr'Ghaladriel."

"Good to meet you." Glancing around the huge room, she suddenly felt very protective of it. "I think we'll get you your own office. I'm pretty sure there's a spare room attached to Sick Bay." She led him through to the main Bay and gazed around. "I'm still exploring and tidying. If you need to make any changes, let me know."

Aneirin shook his head again. "I wouldn't dare without your permission. I've learned enough watching my father get affronted by other people's nosing around his own Medical Bay to not touch what I should not." Again, the smile touched his mouth slightly. "Perhaps, if I had my own office, I would bright a pair of my plants there. Plants brighten things up."

"Don't they? I have a little indoor rose in my office and I was going to have a poinsettia in here when Christmas comes around." She smiled wistfully. "I love the red petals."

Aneirin blinked as he recalled the Human tradition. "The ones I have are ferns for the most part, from my mother's own greenhouse," he explained. He left out how special the plants were. He still wasn't sure if they liked his father or not. "The only one on Vulcan so far as I know."

"Anything to cheer the place up. Sick Bays can become so depressing sometimes, don't you think?" Victoria knew, of course. She had intimate knowledge of the places from both sides of the bed.

He thought about it from his father's point of view. "They can be," he said carefully. "My father said he never realized that until he came to the Federation. I do not do balloon animals or puppets, though, ma'am. That would be entirely too much."

"Um... is that a requirement for being a Starfleet doctor?" Giggling at him, she shook her head. "We could always just hand out buttons and lollipops to all the good boys and girls."

"I think he used to just scare people by being what he was actually. He's very much a gentleman, according to Fleet standards, but it is difficult for people to see past certain things, even today," Aneirin explained.

"How very true," Victoria agreed as she leaned against a biobed. "They see what is directly in front of them and never anything deeper. A small, slight woman with a very pale complexion so she must be an invalid. A dark eyed Romulan so he must be a spy."

Humans and their perceptions.It still amazed him. "I hardly thought you were an invalid, ma'am, but if either of us were the devious sort, we could make an excellent team." His tone was totally deadpan, as was his expression, but there was a twinkle in his eye. His father's sense of humor lived under the usually calm exterior.

Tilting her head to the side, she smirked at him.  "Do tell."

"You be the brains and I'll be the muscle," Aneirin said mildly.

Laughing merrily, Victoria nodded. "Perfect. We'll have you as the front man to intimidate the poor little things just by being there and I can be the really mean one that they all assume is sweet and lovely."

"And I we can feed them to the plants of they misbehave," Aneirin said, smiling quite obviously now. "Ah but that won't work. They are Vulcan plants after all...other punishments must be devised. Yes, no lollipops."

"And an hour spent listening to a recording of old Prof. Wainwright drone on about anatomy," Victoria giggled.

"And a summary of same by Healer T'Sonja," Aneirin added. "Mother has often suggested I got Di'nanov's patience and not hers."

"Oh, I got mine from my father too. And boy did it come in helpful during Wainwright's lectures," she giggled.

Aneirin sniffed softly in amusement. "You haven't met my Di'nanov then. For a Rihannsu, he is quite patient. Living among Vulcans...they think he's quite hot headed and fiery. He once suggested to Professor Wainwright that the lectures were designed to bore people to death so that there could be cadavers for the anatomy class."

Victoria covered her mouth with her hand as she giggled. "It's true, oh how true." Wiping a tear away, she beamed at him. "I think I'd like to meet your father some day, he sounds like he's got a good grasp of people."

"He and Mother will be at the launch," Aneirin explained. "They will want to check over this place and the Science labs. Curiosity is not just a Vulcan failing after all."

"I hope it lives up to his expectations," Victoria said as she gazed around her Sick Bay.

"It will," Aneirin told her firmly. "It always annoyed him that his own on the Empire's ship was not a place for healing but a place for fix them up and get them out. You have healer's hands and that is evident in this place so far."

"Thank you," she said, a light blush giving a slight colour to her pale cheeks. "We will work well together, I think."

Aneirin smiled slightly. Some people found his mixture of Vulcan calm and Rihannsu passion hard to deal with and impossible to figure out yet the woman before him was accepting him so far. "Thank you, ma'am. I look forward to it."