[ussbansheec] Starfish and Lullabies

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 20:25:19 -0400

_Starfish and Lullabies_ by Scott Ecitsuj & Kinipela Maluhia

Kini was fairly sure there was a flock of butterflies in her stomach. He's so handsome, so bright and warm. She still had her arm around his waist as they looked up at the nebula. "If they look like clouds, do you ever see shapes in them like at home?" she asked softly.

"Very much so," he said in quiet awe. "Why do you think it's called the Crab nebula? But I see the Winds, I see sweeping, beautiful dragons and birds with long tails." As he said each, he pointed them out to her.

She nodded at each thing he said. She could see them, too. "And there's a palm tree and there are the waves on the beach," she said, lifting her hand to point just as he did. She almost laughed because her next idea sounded so silly. "And a starfish."

"I see them," he laughed brightly. "Even the starfish. You have a good imagination, Kini. A keen mind." Turning slightly, he smiled as he brushed her face. "Very lovely too." His smile saddened just a bit as he remembered T'Cerys. Kini didn't have her stark beauty but she was just as beautiful, more so that he'd thought before.

She looked up at him curiously. That wonderful smile had changed. Cautiously, she gave him a small hug. "Thank you," she said as she reached to hold his hand to her face. "Can I ask what's the matter? That lovely smile of yours changed."

"I, er, feel as if I'm being disrespectful," he said softly. His cheeks coloured in shame this time. "I'm in love with someone yet I find my heart skip when I look at you. I disrespect her and you."

"Oh...hmmm..." Kini bit her lip. Amongst her cousins and relatives, such good manners were the norm but she was unused to it from other men. Good manners and charm, she added mentally. Lucky woman if she knows what a fine thing she has."Do you want to tell me about it? I promise I won't be offended."

"Her name is T'Cerys and she knows but doesn't return my feelings," he told her, his sadness spreading. "She's on the Banshee too."

"A pretty name," Kini mused. She looked around the room, wondering if there was some place they could just sit and talk. It didn't seem so. "Your sister and a dear one. I'm so sorry. You must be worried sick."

"I'm slowly dying," he admitted. "Or I was until you." And it was shockingly true, making him doubt everything he'd told T'Cerys and worse making him feel like less of a man to fall for two women at once.

"Please don't die," Kini said. It was the first thing that came to mind. "I...ah, really? Me? Because I got lost?"

"Because you were lost and I found you. And because I was lost," he said, his face brightening a little at a time, "and you found me."

Kini ducked her head shyly.  "Can I ask another question?"

"Ask as many as you wish," Scott told her, his smile returning, the dance of his eyes growing more pronounced.

"Did she know you care about her?" Kini asked. "I think if I cared about someone then I couldn't keep quiet."

"She knows," he sighed, his whole face dropping again.  "She loves another."

"I'm sorry then," Kini said softly. "I think you'd be very much worth loving." She felt her entire face burn then shook her head. "Oh I am so sorry. I didn't mean to come right out and say that. I mean...I meant it but not so outright forward. Maybe you should just take me back where I'm supposed to be."

Scott shook his head, mild confusion on his face. "I'm sorry I kissed you and made you uncomfortable, Kini. If you really want to go, then I'll take you home. But..." he shrugged, "I'd rather you stayed."

Kini huffed out a little sigh. "You have it wrong, Scott. I'm the one that doesn't want to make you uncomfortable. If you would rather be with your lady friend, I understand perfectly." She gave him a tiny smile, though, her eyes shining, "But I'm not sorry you kissed me. I kind of liked it really."

"I don't have a lady friend, Kini," he told her, still not quite smiling but lifting a hand to brush her cheek very lightly. "Not unless you..." then he snorted and shook his head, stepping back and dropping his hand. "No, no of course you wouldn't. I'm, er, sorry, Kini. I'm not nearly as charming and cheerful as my father. Not today anyway."

"Not unless what?" Kini asked as the corners of her mouth spread slowly. "You know I love my uncle dearly but he's wrong about some thing. He won't bother looking for a girlfriend or anything because he says it distracts from his career. I think it wouldn't, not for anybody really." The smile was still just as warm. "If you're tired and upset, of course you won't be cheerful. Don't be sorry."

"We're both tired and upset," Scott sighed. He put his arms around her, holding her to him in almost exhausted fear. "I can't do this, I won't take advantage of the fact that you're just as scared as we are. But I will walk you home, if you'll allow me." Setting his cheek to rest on the top of her head, he smiled to himself, his eyes closed. She felt so soft, so sweet just there with him. For a fleeting moment, he couldn't imagine T'Cerys feeling this comfortable.

"I think I'd like that," she said softly, allowing herself to enjoy the feel of a warm embrace from such a warm personality. "But I also think I'd like to get to know you a bit more after you've had a good rest."

"Rest?" he snorted. "What's that?" Sliding off just a little, he guided her to the door, letting the nebula play around them. "Maybe I can make you breakfast tomorrow?"

"Now that sounds lovely," Kini said softly. She offered him a shy smile. "I could return the favor early by singing you a lullaby to help you sleep if you'd like."

His blush was the brightest yet as he said, "Do your quarters have two rooms then? I, er, don't want to impose on you, Kini."

"Do they have..." She clapped a hand over her mouth. "Oh. I didn't quite mean it that way. I meant now, though, I'm not up to dragging you if you fall asleep on your feet. Oh you must think I'm terrible. I'm not such the flirt as I sound, believe me."

He could have sworn his cheeks were burning him alive. "I'm so sorry..." he cringed. "I'm a cad, I'm so very sorry. What must you think of me..."

She hadn't burst out in giggles in a very long time but as she stared wide eyed at Scott, Kini felt the laughter bubbling up. It felt as though it were coming straight from her toes and it rang out bright and clear. She reached over to give him a quick hug then a peck on his cheek. "What I must think is what I said before: you're sweet, charming, and very warm. I really didn't mean to embarrass you. You make me laugh, Scott. That's a wonderful thing."

Despite his increased embarrassment, Scott found himself grinning and chuckling with her. He kissed the crown of her head as he took her down to the guest and VIP cabins. "I haven't felt so relaxed since Banshee disappeared. Thank you, Kini. You're a balm."

She left her arm around his waist as they walked, a gentle gesture of affection. "And you've made me laugh. I haven't laughed like that since I last spoke to my uncle. He's the one who taught me to sing, you know. Songs about Hawaii, love sings, songs about home...just about anything. The one I wanted to sing for you is really about a town on one of the islands but it's so peaceful that Andy and my mother use it as a lullaby." She craned her neck to look up at him. "Anyone who makes me laugh and who makes me feel so happy deserves peace."

Smiling so very softly, he tilted his head to the side. "I'd like that. Sing to me? Please?"

/Kaleohano, `o Kaleohano kou inoa, //Ku'u home, ku'u home, ku'u home `o Keaukaha, Kaulana `o Keaukaha. Kaleohano, `o Kaleohano kou inoa, Ku'u '?ina, ku'u kul?iwi, a huli i ke kai, Kaulana `o Keaukaha. Aloha au i? Mauna Kea, i ke anu o ke ahiahi, Ho'olono, ho'olono, ho'olono i ka leo ka makani, Keaukaha n? e ka wahi./

She smiled up at him shyly. They always told her that she had a lovely voice at home but this was the first time she'd ever sung away from there. The first time she wanted to.

She had the most soothing voice, it cleansed away all the worry he'd been carrying for the last few weeks. They arrived at her door too quickly. "So lovely," he sighed as he kissed her forehead. "I'll hear your voice singing to me in my head all night. Thank you. I may actually sleep now."

"I hope so. Your crew seems to care about you, especially Lieutenant Mother Hen, and I do, too. You deserve a good night's sleep," she said, her arm around his waist. "Will you come find me in the morning? I have the feeling I may get lost again."

"I will come back with breakfast," he said cheerfully. Leaning down, he kissed her forehead then stole a kiss of her lips. "You're really very beautiful." Brushing her cheek one more time, Scott straightened, grinned and waved goodbye. "I'll see you in the morning."

Kini watched him walk away, a delighted smile on her face. A gentleman, a true gentleman. She was still grinning when she finally stepped inside and allowed the doors to close. She headed off to bed, knowing her dreams would still be filled with thoughts of her uncle and home but probably sparkling dark eyes and nebulae with starfish in them.

***'Kaleohano' is by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. I loooove that man's voice