[ussbansheec] Scholarly Ambitions

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 20:22:11 -0400

_Scholarly Ambitions
_by JT, Ellison, & Kawee Swiftwind; Andy Maluhia, Gunny Jervis and one really crusty sergeant major
***takes place about sixteen years before current time

JT had never made it a habit to label his children like he'd seen so many others do. There was no 'this is the smart one', that one's the quiet one', or anything similar. That aside, he knew each of the six well enough to know when something was wrong. His middle son was generally a very upbeat young man, occasionally to the point that it annoyed his siblings. It was very unlike him to sulk or even be in a bad mood unless, of course, it had to do with school. So he had a fairly good idea of what was on the boy's mind when he walked into the living room to find him slumped back on the sofa.

"What's with the thundercloud face, Elli?" he asked casually as he settled a hand on the boy's shoulder.

"I'm havin' trouble with this assignment from school." Ellison's face warmed with embarrassment as he admitted, "I've been trying to read the background stuff so I can get what I'm supposed to do but you know how that usually goes."

JT eased himself into the spot next to his son as he picked up the study PADD. He read that over quickly then nodded to himself. He understood why it was giving the boy trouble. He and Kawee knew he had a small learning problem but he usually overcame it with a little help from them or his younger brother. This assignment, though, was a bit more than geometry or history. The frown on JT's face about matched Ellison's until an idea occurred to him. "I have an idea for you, son," he began.

"What's that?" Ellison asked, not quite lightening his expression or even moving.

"Now, it'd still involve research but I know you'd have an easier time of it if it was verbal and if you took notes," JT told him.

Ellison bit back the unusually tart response of 'no kidding'. He was rarely disrespectful and Pap was only trying to help the slow one. "What do you mean?" he asked, straightening up just slightly.

"The assignment's to do an overview of a different culture, right? History, religion, and all that and compared to your own, right?"

"Yeah..."

"So, it'd be easier for you to ask somebody the questions rather that read about it, wouldn't it? Then you could write up your report afterwards from what you recall and from notes you take. You have no problem writing things down," JT told him.

Ellison thought it over. That was true. He had no problem assimilating information he heard nor did he have a problem writing anything. Research like that was no problem. It was just the intake from reading that never got through very quickly. "Well, yeah, sure but I can't do that here on the res. That's too easy. It's not right."

"Of course not," JT chuckled. "It isn't playing fair but it so happens that I know where there's a treasure trove of different cultures to be had. What do you say I take you to the base with me and you can try to interview one of the Marines? On your own that is because I'm not askin' anyone for you."

A slow smile spread across the younger Swiftwind's face. Not only were there Human Marines there from different cultures, there were different species Marines, too! Ha! "That'd be perfect, Papa! Thanks!" he exclaimed as he gave his father a one armed hug.

"No problem, Elli, but go get dressed and ready while I tell your mother." He had to laugh out loud as his son fairly shot off the sofa and bounded toward the stairs. He'd long ago given up about running in the house. It was useless to complain about loud footsteps when there were six children and three of them were particularly big boys.
~~~~~~~~~~
<>His father set him loose on the base with the precaution of 'don't bust your head or your mother will kill me', which made Ellison chuckle. If only these Marines knew just who really ran the house.

He'd been around Marines all his life and, as he walked around the non-secure areas of the base, quite a few of them stopped to wave or chat. One of those was a particularly grizzled looking drill sergeant with a deceptively kind smile.

"You're one of the colonel's boy's, aren't ya?" the man asked, his eyes narrowing in speculation as he peered up at Ellison. "The middle one...Ellman or Ellton or something?"

"Yes, Sergeant Major, but it's Ellison."

The old man gave a satisfied grin. Polite for a civvie kid. The colonel raised his kids right. They knew enough to address a DI by his proper title and not 'sir'. That was for them that didn't work for a living. "I knew it! You look a lot like him and he's always going on about you kids, always saying how proud he is. Feel like I know you all by now."

Before Ellison could even think about broaching the subject of his research, the sergeant major shouted toward a platoon trotting by. "You call that double time?! I'm an old fart and I can move faster than that. Let's see ya beat an old man," he shouted as he ran after them.

Ellison let out a sigh as he kept walking. "Yeah, proud of Noni and Mahkah because they're going places and doing things. Hell, Yaya's even on the police academy top ten..." he muttered aloud, scuffing the ground with the tips of his shoes as he walked. "Just not the dimwit of the bunch. Too much effort involved to be proud of me."

"I don't know about that, kiddo," came a somewhat familiar voice as a large hand settled onto his shoulder.

Ellison nearly jumped out of his skin but bit back the remark he was going to make when he realized who the speaker was. "Hey, Lieutenant Maluhia, how are you, sir? Papa didn't say you were on base."

"He didn't know til just now. I had to check in before I take my few days leave," Andy explained.

"That's cool. Papa's always saying how leave at home's the best kind," the young man said with a shrug.

"Especially on Kauai," Andy agreed. He nudged the younger man with an elbow. "So what's with the doom and gloom, Elli? I don't recall you as that sort. Then again, I also don't recall you being taller than me either."

Ellison opened his mouth to answer then snapped it shut. "Ah, it's nothing," he finally admitted. He liked the lieutenant. The man was outrageously friendly and never treated any of them like they were satellites of their father that needed to be sucked up to. "The sergeant major back there was saying how my papa goes on about us kids, how proud he is of us..."

"What's the problem with that? My father does the same thing," Andy chuckled. "You're a good kid--polite, respectful. What's not to be proud of?"

"You left out the thicker than mud bit and that I cause more effort than the other five put together," Ellison said with a snort as he tapped his temple with one finger. "A genius I am not."

"So what? So you're not a book learner. There's other ways to be bright, kid," Andy said with a touch more sobriety. "Wasn't it you that got Major Franklin all in a twist by saying he had the mortar angle wrong? Just by looking at the thing for a few seconds?"

"But that was just common sense and good eyesight.  Nothing special."

"Are you kidding?" Andy laughed. "Most Marines need the computers to aim those things accurately yet you did it just through simple observation. Franklin made you do it against one of the corporals and you hit the target every time. Oh yeah, your dad told me the whole thing." The large hand clapped Ellison on the shoulder as Andy laughed yet again. "I forget why I called but he was still snorting over the whole thing and saying how you could outdo the whole civil engineering division with your hands tied behind your back."

Ellison felt his face flush with pleasure and humility. Papa had been pretty impressed that day. He even told Nameseme about it and the old man practically beamed saying 'Now I got another hand to bring into the company'. "You think so? Even if I don't do so hot in school?" He didn't wait for Andy to answer as an idea came to his mind. Well, alright he's Human but he's definitely a different culture... "Lieutenant, I know you're going home and all but do you mind me being a pest and getting you to help with why I'm here?"

"Talk to me, Elli. What have you got?" Andy asked. By the time Ellison was doe explaining, the smile was in full gear. "Oh, I have a /great/ idea, kid, but it requires permission from your parents."

"What's that?" Ellison asked, finally thinking that the project had some hope after all.

"I taker you home with me and you'll get more information than you could ever want. Maluhias love talking about home and family," Andy said brightly.

"I can't do that to you," Ellison protested. "You're supposed to be on leave and not worrying about things like my school assignments. I'll figure it out."

"Nonsense. It's all in good fun, Ellison. You'll see. C'mon, let's go ask your dad," Andy replied.

"You're sure?" Ellison asked skeptically.

"Very. If I can get away with it, the cousins and I will teach you cliff diving."
~~~~~~~~~~
Even if his parents said 'no', Ellison wasn't about to waste a decent opportunity. As they walked back to his father's office, he peppered Andy with questions, all of which the big man answered and answered cheerfully.

Gunny Jervis almost smiled when she saw the colonel's son walk in. Nice kid, even if he was a bit more hyper than any decent Marine should be. Good thing, she told herself, he isn't a Marine. She nodded to the lieutenant with him, too. Maluhia was one of the colonel's favorites but she was somewhat curious what the man was doing back there when he'd just left. After the lieutenant dismissed her salute, she asked, "Was there a problem with the leave slip, sir?"

"No, Gunny, not at all. I'm here with my young friend here," Andy said easily.

"Is my dad busy, Gunny?" Ellison asked.

"There's nobody in there with him but that doesn't mean anything. Hold on a second and I'll check," Jervis told him as warmly as she could as she began tapping in a text message.

A few seconds later, the door to the inner office opened and JT stuck his head out. "Hey, come on in, Elli. You, too, Andy." He retreated to sit on the edge of the desk, breathing deeply to pull in the scent of sage and sweet grass that burned on the other edge."What brings you back so soon?"

"Well..." Ellison began. He hesitated for a moment then went forward, being as detailed and calm as possible with his request. Andy filled in certain spots when it was necessary and Ellison ended with, "So what do you think, Papa? Can I?"

"If I say yes without telling your mother, she'll kill me, Elli," JT said with a snort.

"Can you ask her, sir? Please?" Ellison asked again. He adored his mother but she was, in his opinion, just a bit too cautious sometimes.

"I'll even talk to her if you want, Colonel," Andy offered. "You've got every guarantee I can make that you'll get him back in one piece."

He moved to sit behind his desk, bringing up the comm screen. "If she says no, I'm not arguing, alright?" Ellison nodded but JT could tell how hopeful the boy was. He didn't blame him one bit. He smiled brightly when Kawee came up on the screen. "Hey, beautiful swan lady, miss me?"

"Every moment," Kawee said with a bright smile.

"I'll be home in a bit but Elli's got a possibility of finishing a school assignment. You know, the research one?" he asked carefully.

Kawee beamed even brighter as she nodded.  "You found someone to help him!"

JT beckoned his son over and gave the chair over to him. "No, he found the help himself because I told I wouldn't do it for 'im."

"The thing is, Mama, part of the help includes a stay over on Kauai, where Lieutenant Maluhia lives. He said he'd teach me all about Hawaiians." Ellison was half holding his breath, waiting to hear what she'd say. Except for staying over at their grandparents' or cousins' homes, he'd never stayed overnight anywhere.

Tilting her head to the side, Kawee nodded slowly. "Alright but there's one condition."

"What's that?" JT and Ellison asked at the same time.

"He comes here for a night, so I can meet him," Kawee told them both firmly. "I want to make sure the man taking care of my boy is sound."

"Andy?" JT asked as he looked over at the other Marine.

Andy shrugged. It was only one night and he had ten days. "Yeah, sure, why not? Don't think I've ever been out that part of the continent."

"Good," Kawee nodded again. "So long as you are trustworthy enough, Ellison can stay with you."

He'd been in charge of training hundreds, if not thousands, of Marines and sent them off to the wide galaxy. It was quite an honor and responsibility yet living up to the expectation of his colonel's wife seemed to be on an equal footing. "I have more cousins than you can shake a stick and I'm the oldest of them but I understand, Mrs. Swiftwind. I'm looking forward to this."

"Thanks, Mama," Ellison said happily, grinning his father's grin.

"As if I could say no to that smile," Kawee chuckled. "Now, since we have company, I have to make up the guest room and make sure we have enough for dinner. Is there anything you don't eat, Andy?"

"No, ma'am. I'll eat anything that's dead," he chuckled. "I tried Klingon food once but that's just wrong."

"No Klingon here," Kawee said with a wink. "Though, our youngest might bag us something from the hunt."

JT nodded. Hakan had gone off hunting with his brother and cousins earlier in the day. "That ought to be interesting. Alright then, let's get going, gentleman. Oklahoma awaits."