[ussbansheec] Paradox

  • From: Moria McEntire <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Banshee <ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 19:21:59 -0500

Paradox
Lt. Commander Gabriel Coyne and Admiral N'Ellie Coyne

Gabriel Coyne looked at the information in his hand again, considering the implications of the data and what it could mean, and tried to decide what to do. Did he go to Garrity, knowing her distain for him personally and risk having it buried simply because it was from him? Or did he send it directly to Mac and risk getting reamed for breach of protocol? He wasn't sure, but he knew he had to do something. At long last he did the only thing he was sure he could do. Tapping his comm. badge, he waited patiently for his mother to respond.

N’Ellie looked up from the reports she’d been looking over and tapped the comm. link on the desk she was at in her guess quarters. “Yes Gabe?”

"I'm sorry...I know you're busy but....well....I have this....problem...." Gabriel stammered, suddenly not really knowing how to ask her.

She’d often wondered if her son could see the emotion in her dark eyes when they were face to face and he stammered that way, like his father. “I’m not as busy as most. Give me ten minutes to get back into uniform and I’ll come down.”

"Okay. My lab, alright?" He answered quietly, sounding relieved.

Like she’s expected him to go anywhere else. She smirked as she got up. “Alright.” Changing out of her civilian clothes, which tended to lean towards Klingon fashion to her own horror, she threw on her red admiral’s uniform, then headed for her son’s lab, braiding her long raven hair as she went. When she walked in it reminded her yet again how much their son was like Josh. “You do realize I’m useless as a scientist right?”

Gabriel started to respond then stopped, shaking his head. No. This wasn't the time to debate that with her. Not now. Instead he passed her the PADD. "I found...something. Something important. I just...I'm not sure how to....well, not how, I know how, but who...." he stopped, trying not to get flustered. " Can you just...look at it...please..."

N’Ellie blinked several times as she looked over the information on the padd. It was a mix of Gabriel’s work and Josh’s. She read it twice more before looking up at her son. “So when Josh went looking for the anomaly he ended up creating it?”

"Not exactly," Gabriel correct, "though I suppose, in a sense, that's correct. The research he did to identify it and figure out how to shut it down forty years ago is what was used as the basis to create it in our time. If it hadn't happened, it's likely he wouldn't have researched it, but had he not researched it there wouldn't have been one to research. You see?"

“Gabriel, you’re giving your mother a headache.” N’Ellie replied as she once again looked down at the padd. “Tell me how we use this to get Banshee back and then I’ll tell you to send it to Mac since there’s no one in hell Belle’s gonna use this.”

"Sorry," he muttered, flushing slightly with embarrassment. "Okay...what we need to do is look back at his original research here...see...." he indicated it on the PADD," and recreate it, using appropriate controls....and...and safeguards this time...to....open it back up...see...then we can ...send a ...a tethered remote...midway...and signal through...on one of the priority encoded....links....you know...one of the newer ones...that they won't be scanning...so Banshee'll hear us, but nobody else....and....well....see..if we just...." He went to the replicator and got a fresh cup of coffee, running his hand through his thick curls absently as he concluded. "we guide them home....through the wormhole..then discontinue the harmonic waves, detonate the remote and the wormhole collapses. Okay?"

She could repair the smallest of neural pathways in the humanoid brain, but everything he’d just rattled off really was giving her a headache. “Ok here’s what we’ll do. I know Kaelyre, I’ll talk to her let her know what you’ve got. She has one of her ships here that’ll be heading back out into the badlands in the morning. I think you should go to Mac yourself.”

Gabriel hesitated at the thought of leaving his lab, his safety with it's schedules and rituals all in place, looking at his mother with something akin to panic in his eyes. "You do?" he asked meekly.

“Do you think Mac’s people will be able to figure out your notes?” She asked as she looked him in the eyes.

"I don't know," he mumbled, running a hand through his hair and looking around desperately at his world, his notes, his boards, his things. "I guess....maybe...." he attempted as he finally allowed the eye contact. Defeated, he conceded her point with one word. "Not." Blowing out a sigh and looking again at the PADD, he nodded slightly and gave in, remembering how many lives were at stake. "okay...what time tomorrow?"

Stepping over to her son’s desk N’Ellie called up the stations mainfest. “0800, it’s the Tempest.” She smirked as she looked up at him. “Mandy Hale’s ship.”

Gabriel nodded again. At least it was someone who knew and understood. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. There are labs on ships, he reminded himself, though they weren't his. He fought hard against the anxiety that rose within him as he agreed. "Okay. 0800. Tempest." trying hard not to sound as panicked as he felt.

Walking over to her son N’Ellie put her hand on his shoulder while titling his head up. “No matter what that woman says that is your younger brother out there Gabriel, your father’s youngest son. You’re father might have been a quite man but he knew what to do when duty called, which is why we don’t have him.” She had to pause to shallow the lump in her throat. “But if you pull the same stunt he did there won’t be a place in Sto'vo'qor you’ll be able to hide from me.”

Gabriel almost laughed in spite of himself as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders and held her briefly. "I'll try to remember that." he assured her before adding with a smirk," Barring that, I'll look hard for a big rock."

N’Ellie laughed and shook her head. She took a moment to trace the faint ridges that marked her son’s heritage and picked the padd back up. “If I’m going to talk to Kaelyre I’d better do it now. It’ll take an hour to get past all those damn rat dogs.”

Gabriel nodded and downed his coffee. "Let me know how it goes?"

“I will.” N’Ellie replied as she headed for the door. “You’re having breakfast with me and your sister before you leave.”

"Here?" he asked hopefully.

“My cabin.” N’Ellie replied as the doors slid open. “Unless you want me to cook in here.”

'You can," he said hastily, looking around as if trying to decide where to put standard kitchen equipment.

N’Ellie shook her head. “My cabin Gabriel.”

Gabriel sighed, trying not to show his discomfort. "yes, ma'am." he responded quietly.

“Good, now do what you have to here and you things together.” N’Ellie called as she walked out the door.

Gabriel watched her leave before turning toward the 2D picture of Louis Pasteur on his desk. "What have I gotten myself into now?" he asked it quietly, fighting the panic. Shaking his head, he turned it face down, mumbling. "Your no help at all." before beginning to gather his belongings and organize his work areas in silence.