[ussbansheec] "Breakfast the Coyne Way"

  • From: Moria McEntire <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Banshee <ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 19:00:47 -0500

"Breakfast the Coyne Way"
N'Ellie, Gabriel, and Angelina Coyne

The station was starting to feel more cramped then her grandparents house at Thanksgiving. They were here, her aunts were here, and now Matt’s family was here. Thankfully they haven’t all met and there by clashed. Klingon, Humans, Romulans, it was like some freaked out ad for Federation unity. Truth be told however, Angelina was loving it. If only they could get the dark Banshee cloud from over their heads, not to mention her and Matt’s case. Flopping onto the couch in her mother cabin she sighed. She’d have preferred to stay in bed all day, but Matt had to be a good marine and went into the office, which is where she’d be heading afterwards, but for now it was nice spending time with her mother. “He’s not going to come.”

“Yes he will.” N’Ellie replied form the kitchen.

“He eats in his lab when that stupid watch beeps at him.” Angelina said.

“Not this time.” N’Ellie replied.

Angelina shrugged, just meant more for her.

Gabriel looked around his lab once again, struggling with the thought of leaving. If there were any other way, he thought resignedly as he locked down the last of his supplies and exited, encrypting the lock behind him.

Ringing the chime to his mother's cabin, he checked his watch and frowned. It was time to feed the fish. Not eat. Not yet.

N’Ellie gave her daughter a smug smirk before calling out. “Come in.”

Gabriel stepped in and stopped just inside the door. "Mom, it's not....it's ...." Looking at her desperately, he held out his watch. "Are you sure we need to do this now?"

“Yes.” N’Ellie replied in a tone she’d never have thought herself capable of when she was younger. She nearly sounded like Joanna which she found fairly funny. “You’re leaving in a few hours and you could be out for some time.”

“If he doesn’t want to spend time with us he doesn’t have to.” Angelina teased. “We’re not his test tubes and microscopes.”

"It's not that," Gabriel protested seriously, "It's just...." he stopped, looking bewildered, as he realized he had no way to explain it. Sighing silently, he sat down at on the couch and waited for direction.

Angelina just shook her head. “You’re more ridged then the marines are! For Kahless’ sake Gabby, it won’t kill you to eat off your precious schedule.”

Gabriel looked at her as if she'd lost her mind. "You don't understand...it's .....orderly....neat...organized. It's...."

“Anal as hell.” His sister grunted. “You brother dear give new meaning to the term anal retentive.”

Gabriel opened his mouth to respond, then closed it, realizing he had no idea what to say. Instead, he looked to his mother for help.

There had been studies done on twins ever since studies were first created. They all pretty much said the same things, twins develop a unique bond, create their own language, and often balance each other out. N’Ellie couldn’t picture anything more yin-yanged then her children. They were polar opposites, Gabriel who was quite and yes a bit anal retentive, and Angelina so out spoke and brash, yet they balanced each other out. At times, when she watched them it felt as if she were watching herself and Josh back on their first ship together. “Angel leave your brother alone.”

"And don't call me Gabby, okay." Gabriel added quietly. "Gabriel....Gabe if you have to ....but not Gabby....okay?"

“Why the hell not?” Angelina asked with a hand on her hip even though she was sitting down. “I’ve always called you that.”

"I know, but....well....it's an adjective...and it's just...well....not accurate...usually...." Gabriel tried to explain, only to be interrupted by the sounding alarm of his watch.

“In other words he feels he’s to old to be called by a childhood name.” N’Ellie told her daughter as she set plates on the dinning table. “And not very becoming for a Star Fleet officer.”

Angelina rolled her eyes. “Oh please.”

Gabriel injected his anacrese and shrugged. "Never mind," he said quietly.

“Ok fine.” The raven haired young woman sighed. “I won’t call you Gabby,” Then she smirked, “Dexter.”

Gabriel shot her a bewildered glance. "Dexter?"

N’Ellie bit back her own grin. “It’s a cartoon about a boy scientist.” She looked at her daughter as she sat at the table. “You realize that makes you Dee-Dee.”

Angelina scrunched her nose and shook her head. “I’m more the Laura Croft type.”

“Did you take…”

The younger woman sighed. “When I get up in the mornings.”

N’Ellie nodded. Gabriel took so much after his father, Angelina seemed to have his habit of forgetting to take the anacrese they both needed to take. “Good.”

"You need to get a watch," Gabriel told her quietly. "Then you won't need reminding."

“Marines don’t need watches.” She replied. “We have internal timing. Besides, I don’t have to take it as much as you do.”

"And still you forget." Gabriel teased, with a slight smile. "And are often late. Good ole' internal timing."

Angelina smirked, “I’m also a lawyer, being late makes things more dramatic.”

“I thought dramatics were Zoe’s department.” N’Ellie added.

“Different stages.” The younger woman replied before taking a huge bit of her omelet.

Gabriel grimaced as he watched his sister eat, as always. "Don't choke," he said quietly, taking a small bite of fruit only after carefully separating everything on the plate so that nothing dared touch anything else.

“Don’t let the melon touch strawberries it might cause a star somewhere far away to die.” She retorted.

"I hardly think the placement of fruit on my plate will ..." All at once he realized she was being sarcastic and tapped his melon to his strawberry before scooting them both aside and moving on to something else, knowing he wouldn't eat them now.

Angelina laughed and then groaned. Using a clean fork she took the pieces she knew he wouldn’t eat, making sure not to mess up his little grouping thing. “If you hadn’t have kept my room clean when we were kids you’d annoy the hell out of me.”

Gabriel smiled. "Yeah," he answered softly. "I know."

They were both telepaths and N’Ellie knew without a doubt they knew how they other truly felt. They teased and bickered, but when it came down to it they were actually a united front. Not for the first time N’Ellie found herself wondering what Josh would have thought of them, how he would have been with them. She watched her children for several more minutes, her mind on them and Josh, before suddenly getting up and going to the kitchen. “Coffee. I forgot the coffee.”

"We noticed," Gabriel teased gently before taking another bite of melon. ~Any chance you can come along?~ Gabriel asked his sister without looking up at her. ~Not with Major Ecitsuj’s case still up in the air.~ She replied as she watched her mother leave. ~It’ll be ok though, you’ll be with Uncle Mac.~

Gabriel shrugged slightly, trying not to seem too disappointed. He really didn't like leaving his lab even to go as far as his own cabin. The thought of being that far from it honestly terrified him.

“It’s to get them home, Gabe.” His sister said softly. “Nothing’s going to happen here, there’s to much brass around.”

Again, Gabriel nodded. Logically, he knew all of that. He was going. He had to. It might be their only hope of getting home. Somehow, though, knowing that didn't quell the fear.

“You need to relax.” She told him though she knew he wouldn’t.

Gabriel nodded, knowing she was right, though he knew he wouldn't really be able to.

When she’d gotten a grip N’Ellie grabbed a carafe full coffee that was an agreeable mix for their different tastes. N’Ellie hadn’t been able to drink Garrity coffee since she was pregnant. Coming back to the table she set it down and retook her seat. “Good neither of you are bleeding.”

"Not so you can tell," Gabriel quipped, pouring a cup for his sister.

“Well don’t get any on the carpet.” N’Ellie replied. “The station staff is already up in arms with so many of us here.”

Gabriel shot an impish glance at his sister as he poured his mother a cup, then responded, only just audibly. 'Yeah, okay...we'll try not to..."

“At least not much anyway.” Angelina added.

Gabriel almost laughed as he at last poured himself a cup.

“Well at least now you’re working together.” N’Ellie laughed.

He actually did laugh at that. "Yeah....we do that occasionally." Winking in his sisters direction, he added, "When we have to."

“And when we do people better watch out.” The young woman smiled brightly.

Gabriel picked up his fork to stab another bite of melon when his watch went off again. Silencing it reluctantly, he looked up at his sister with a near-panicked expression. Swallowing hard, he near-whispered. "Time to go."

~You’ll be ok, Gabe.~ Angelina told him as they all got their feet.

N’Ellie brushed at her son’s hair the way she had done with his father’s. “Keep us up to date. Don’t bother with Annabelle you report directly to Admiral Kaelyre.”

Gabriel nodded, drawing a breath before kissing them each in turn lightly upon the cheek. "See you soon." He told them, hoping it would be true.

After the doors of the cabin close Angelina leaned against her mother. “Did that stuff drive you crazy with Dad?”

N’Ellie wrapped an arm around her daughter. “Out of my mind.”

“Yet you loved him?” The younger girl asked.

“With all my heart and soul.” She kissed the top of her daughter’s head and then went to clean up.