[ussbansheec] "In the Blink of an Eye"

  • From: Rhi <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:57:07 -0400

"In the Blink of Eye"
Miranda Hale and Crew

Sitting in her ready room Miranda read over another one of her mother’s personal logs. It was getting easier, but it wasn’t easy in the least. She was starting to see a different side to her parents, and it was making her take a really long look at her own life. She just hoped that their lives could be fixed, that it wasn’t all just to late. The sound of her chime made Miranda put the padd away and look up. “Come.” She wasn’t surprised to see her second officer step in, but it did surprise her to see the Cardassian hybrid who walked in with him. “Lieutenants.”

“Captain.” The bald dark skinned man in red replied. “You wanted to know when Mister Garrity beamed over to McEntire’s ship.”

Miranda nodded. “He’s gone then?”

The man nodded. “As is Mister Coyne.”

That caused Miranda to frown. “I can’t say I blame him but he still has work to do.”

“Which he can do there.”  Jaidev said coldly. “Not that it will do much good.”

Miranda looked at the half Cardassian with the Cajun accent and then leaned forward. “You got somethin’ to report Mister LeBeau?”

Jaidev nodded. “I have finished my device. Now it’s simply a matter of finding the proper frequency.”

“And how do you plan on doing that?” She asked. She could feel the throbbing in her head start up again. Her days just kept getting longer and longer.

“By scanning the temporal threads for their signature.” He replied as if a first grader would have known that.

She really hated science. Temporal threads? “I’ll take your word for it, when can you start?”

“As soon as possible of course.”

“Of course.” Miranda replied as she fought back an eye roll. She was just about to address her second officer when her tactical officer’s voice cut through the room.

“Captain,” The accented voice called out. “We’re picking up a shuttle approaching at warp.”

Miranda blinked. That couldn’t be her mother, she’d still be on her way to the station. It could be Stevie, come to kick her ass for blabbing, but she doubted it. Pushing to her feet she started towards her ready room door. “On my way.” She called out then moments later made her way to her chair. “Report?”

“It appears to be a federation shuttle.” The tactical officer replied. “Two life signs, both human, one seems to be unconscious.”

Miranda lowered herself into her chair. She sat on the very edge, her hands over the arms of the chair, her back ram rode straight. “Open a channel.”

“Aye, channel open.” The officer replied.

“This is Captain Miranda Hale of the USS Tempest,” She called out. “Who am I addressing?” There was no reply. “Hale to unidentified Federation shuttle, respond.”

A deep frown appeared on the tactical officer’s brow as he looked over his read outs. “Captain, the shuttle isn’t slowing.”

Miranda got to her feet. “Hale to Federation shuttle. Slow your approach and respond. If you do not I will be forced to take action.”

There was still no reply and for several seconds the bridge was totally quite. Then the tactical officer spoke up again. “The Garrity ship is taking evasive maneuvers, it seems like that shuttle is on a collision course.”

“Disable it.” Miranda ordered.

“Captain,” The tactical officer warned. “It’s moving at a ramming speed, if we try….”

“I don’t care.” Miranda barked out, her eyes fixed on the view screen, her mind screaming that her father was on the Garrity ship. “Disable it, blow it to pieces, but stop it before it…..”

Before she could finish the shuttle suddenly jumped speed and just as Miranda braked out another ordered her ship was rocked violently from the shockwave of the explosion. The whole bridge lit up with a blinding light as people were tossed around like rag dolls. Miranda hit a bulk head and felt her shoulder dislocate. She managed to keep her scream to a painful grunt and when the ship finally stopped, she staggered to her feet. “What the hell just happened!?”

It took several moments before anyone could reply and then it came. “The shuttle rammed the Garrity ship at full warp. It must have hit the larger ship’s warp drive.”

Miranda made her way back to the center of the bridge. “On screen!” Please God let there be something…. But when the view screen flickered back to life there was nothing there but debris. “The Garrity?”

Seconds felt like hours before a reply finally came. “Nothing left, Captain. Both the ship and shuttle were destroyed.”

Miranda felt her knees go weak. “No.” She said softly as she staggered back to her chair, falling into it and then seeing stars from the pain in her shoulder. “No! Scan again!”

The tactical officer did but his report was the same. There was nothing, and no one, left.
--

A.D.A Alex Cabot: He's as bad as his client hoping the victim is to traumatized to testify! He’s lucky I didn’t knock his teeth down his throat!

Capt. Don Cragen: I’d pay real money to see that.