[ussbansheec] Fate's Cruel Games

  • From: "Moria Grace" <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:26:39 -0400

"Fate's Cruel Games"
Jada Swiftwind S'Ghaladriel, Noah Ellis
*Takes place many many moons before "Never to Late"

Eamonn's eyes smiled at Jada all the way from ch'Rihan. A fine match, she
thought as she tried to feel good about it. This was the first time she'd made
the trip between homes on her own in both directions and the very first time
that she'd returned betrothed. Her Ri'nanov had seemed pleased, but there was
something in her dark eyes that had spoken of caution rather than joy.

As the transport set down on Dorvan, she let out a tiny sigh of relief. Five
days, that's all I have before I must return. She quickly descended, beaming at
the party of people gathered to greet her.

She had been gone so long this time. She'd left before he had for Bajor but was
not there when came home. That felt so odd, so wrong, to Noah. She had always
been there to greet him when he arrived home. Guess it's my turn to be here to
greet her. Noah smiled as soon as he saw her descend the ramp. Beautiful.
"Welcome home, Morning Star."

"Noah!" she beamed as she waved at him. Gracefully sweeping down, she was
hugged by her mother who ran a critical eye over her.

"You look pale, Jada," Talibah observed. "But you're glowing. Perhaps Eamonn
agrees with you."

But there was that guardedness in her mother's voice again and it made her
unsure. Looking from Ri'nanov to Noah, Jada felt her heart leap. Yes, she
thought, I know why I glow. "How was Bajor, Grey Wolf?"

"It's thriving." Noah answered. She hadn't hugged him. She always hugged him.
His arms felt empty and he felt rather cold. "It's a wonderful thing to see."
Eamonn? "How was ch'Rihan? You stayed longer then normal this visit. Is your
sister well?"

"Ie, Tabetha is more than well. She beats the Weaponsmaster nine times out of
ten now, I think he's getting more than a little fed up with it," Jada laughed.
Turning slightly, she kissed her mother's cheek and asked, "Where are Matthew
and Nightwalker?"

"On Earth with your Uncle Eisnas. He'll be on ch'Rihan for when he needs to be,
don't worry." Giving her daughter one last squeeze, Talibah let her go.

Jada smiled as she looked into her mother's eyes and whispered, "I need to
speak with Noah." At the gentle shove she received, she giggled and smiled back
at Noah. "Walk with me? My legs could use the exercise."

Noah smiled brightly. "Of course I will. Near the clearing? The doe that was
brought last winter has sired a colt with the old buck. He's stunning."
Stepping closer to her, Noah offered Jada his arm to hold.

Glancing at the arm, she longed to take it but merely folded her arms in front
of her. No wife of mine will go gallivanting off in the woods... "Perhaps by
the lake?"

Something felt wrong. "Sure." Noah tried to smile. "We can go in the morning to
see the colt. He likes to play as the sun comes up." What had he done wrong?
She wouldn't even take his arm. How could she be so close yet feel so far away?

They walked in silence for a while, Jada wasn't even seeing the beauty of her
home. Her eyes were turned inward as she tried to find the words. "I won't be
coming with you in the morning, Noah. My Beloved doesn't like the idea of me
wandering the woods. He worries about me."

The word shot through him like a arrow. "Beloved?" He asked forcing himself not
to stop walking. She's met someone...

"Yes." Hugging her arms around herself, she came to a stop but didn't meet his
eyes. "He's the captain of a War Bird, the head of a very powerful House and a
good man." Taking a small breath, she found it hard to tell him so she looked
at her feet and said, "We are betrothed."

Betrothed... The second arrow ripped clean through him, leaving his heart in
two and a gapping hole in his soul. Tell her! Stop her! Yelled his pleading
heart. We'll never be whole without her! "You love him?" He asked. "He makes
you happy?"

"He does. He is a good match. We spent many nights talking." A tiny smile grew
on her lips as she turned to stare out into the trees. "I enjoy his company,
he's funny and I like him a lot."

But do you love him? "And your Ri'nanov has agreed to this?" But does he love
you?

"Yes. She says that as long as I wish to be with him then she is happy," Jada
said with a chime in her voice, Turning toward him, her words froze in her
throat as she finally made eye-contact. Elements, what have I done? "He's a
powerful ally to my House," she managed, forcing her face to keep the smile.
"We marry soon after I return. I have five days to prepare here and then my
family will take me home."

Tell her! Noah looked into her eyes and for a moment he thought he saw some
thing there. Your being a fool. She is marrying someone else. She doesn't want
you. The look is for her betrothed. "Prepare here?"

"Mmm-hmm. Gather my things together and have it all ready to move to ch'Rihan.
I doubt I'll be back for a long time. That's my home now." What am I doing?
Elements, you've chosen the wrong man. You don't love Eamonn, you love... "Will
you visit us? Eamonn has heard so much about you, he said he'd love to meet
you."

She's leaving her home for this man. Noah was dieing inside. She must love him.
"I would be honored to meet him and to visit your home." He told her though he
knew he never would.

"Good," she beamed. Somehow it made it better that she knew he was coming. It
took the edge of the fear off to know Noah would be in her new home. Then she
looked into his eyes and it returned ten-fold. "I have lots to do." She reached
out and took his hand. "Thank you."

Noah squeezed her hand and kissed her forehead. "I wish you great happiness,
Morning Star." And he did, her happiness was all that mattered. "I'll walk you
back to your Ri'nanov's house."

As she removed her hand from his, she forced a smile. Just tell me you love me
and I'll stay, she silently told him. That's all it would take. I love you. The
internal declaration surprised her and she found herself forming the words in
her mouth but then she looked back up at him and he was smiling at her. He was
happy, pleased that she had found someone. He was complete without her, whole.
He doesn't need nor want you, Jada. Eamonn does. "Is there any way you can come
to the wedding?"

That he could not bear. "It's time for Laughing Elk to go on his first hunt and
since his father is not here to take him, Nightwalker asked if I would." He
told her as they walked back into the compound. "But I know you'll be
beautiful."

"You're not coming?" Say it! Tell him, please. And she opened her mouth to,
felt the words ready on her tongue, was about to say them...

Noah stopped when they stood outside the beaded doorway of Talibah's home. "I
can't, Jada, I'm sorry." He kissed her forhead once more and then caressed her
cheek. "I'm happy for you, Jada." I hope he loves you as much as I do.

As he walked away, Jada's heart broke into a million pieces. "When you find
your beloved, I hope she loves you as much as I do," she whispered as she fled
to her room without another word.

Slipping into his own mother's home Noah said nothing to the older woman as he
retrieved his bedroll. He kissed the top of Dakota's head again without
speaking a word and then walked out. He didn't even notice Talibah and
Nightwalker as he headed out of the compound. He couldn't stay, couldn't be
that close to her. He was weak, he'd end up telling her not to marry this man
because he loved her, and he would not be the torn in her happiness.

No one could make Jada come out of her room. She feigned tiredness when she
cried herself to sleep. The morning birds woke her, eyes puffy and throat sore.
When she went down to breakfast it was to the news that Noah had gone and most
likely wouldn't be back until after she'd left. A perfect smile was forced on
her face and it fooled everyone.