[ussbansheec] "Allies and Alliances"

  • From: "Moria Grace" <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 20:58:44 -0500

"Allies and Alliances"
Marine Captains Matthew Swiftwind S'Ghaladriel, Angelina Coyne, Admiral N'Ellie
Coyne

Matthew scrubbed his hand over his stubbled cheeks and then through his messy
hair. "But sir..."

"Her records indicate that she's Human," the General stated in his smug, New
Mexican accent. "She has everything she is entitled to as a Human."

"But her medical records..."

"I'm not interested in your New Age, Happy-Clappy ideals of justice, Captain,"
Fitzwilliam grunted. "That might be how you do things on your little world, but
here, in the Federation, we follow the Law. And since in this case I am the
Law, you follow my orders. Clear?"

With a nod, Matthew glared and marched away. Isobel looked drawn and tired, she
looked scared as well. No one had been able to reach Field Marshall Quon and
the highest ranking Marine within easy comm-range really was Fitzwilliam.

Racking his brains for just about anything to help her, he suddenly found
himself outside Angie's door. It couldn't hurt to ask, right? Shrugging, he
leaned against the chime for ages before slumping back and resting against the
bulkhead opposite.

The sound of the chime cut threw the soft music that was filling the stillness
of Angelina's cabin. Who in the world? Angelina thought as she set aside her
knitting. Gabe's with his little redhead tonight. Flowing to her feet she
padded over to the door to open it. A smile threatened to light up her face at
the sight of Matthew, "Well don't you look like hell. Having a bad day?" She
teased as she leaned against the doorframe, her simply white flowing dress
fluttered around her legs as she moved.

He was struck dumb for a moment as he remembered why he still loved her. "Uh...
sure. I guess I do. Can I come in?"

Normally she would tease him, ask him if he should be consorting with the
enemy, but she sensed something in him that bothered her. "Sure, Matty, you can
come in."

Once inside, he stared around at her home. Everywhere she was always felt like
a home, she just had that knack of creating peace and perfection wherever she
was. Dark, troubled eyes settled on her before they swept back to scanning the
room, as he stood in the middle of it, not quite sure what to do or say. "He's
killing her."

Angelina moved closer to him, reaching out to touch him, but pulling back
before she could. "Who's killing who?"

"Have you seen her?" he asked in earnest. "Today, did you go and see her, talk
to her?"

"See and talk to who, Matty?" Angelina asked, a little confused. Then it sudden
became obvious. "The Major?"

"Yes," he nodded vigorously. "Tell me you've seen her, please."

This was starting to worry her. She couldn't ever remember seeing him so shaken
before. "I haven't seen the Major since our meeting in my office three days
ago. What's going on Matty?"

"The General arrested her not long after that, said she'd gone AWOL." He
started pacing, his hands running through his already disarrayed hair over and
over. "Now she's in the Brig and he's refused to allow her alcove to be moved
in with her. He quoted regulations, said she's just a regular Human." He was
shaking a little. "She told me... she said, what with one thing and another,
she hadn't gotten around to regenerating in a few days, but she'd slept. Do you
know what that means medically, though?"

"I've a pretty good idea." Angelina replied as she watched him pace. "Mère has
had to add a lot of information to standard medical stuff because of the influx
of rehabilitated Borg, including defining an alcove as medical equipment. Which
means he has no more right to deny her that then he would to deny Gabe and I
anacrease."

"I know!" he all but yelped as he suddenly stopped. "So does he. But she's in
the Marine Brig, under Marine jurisdiction and no one can find Quon to outrank
him. He's got the authority. Help me, please. He might listen to you. She
shouldn't be in there anyway."

Angelina sighed.. "I'm going to loss everything for this. Damned morals and
honor." She sighed heavily again as she walked over to her comm. unit. "He's
the one, at least I think he is, that wants her head, Matty."

"Why?" he asked softly, his voice still laced with worry. "I know she disobeyed
him, but this is persecution beyond anything I've ever seen before. It's
unreasonable."

"I don't know why." She answered as she sat behind her desk and looked up at
him. "He could be using her to get to Quon. Could be an anit-Borg thing. Hell
for all we know he could just be pissed because she wouldn't fuck him or
something. I just know that he told me that I had to convict her and that I'd
better not screw it up."

"He threatened you?!" Matthew's blood began to simmer, his eyes swirling
dangerously.

Angelina shrugged. "In a round a about way I guess." She gave him a lop sided
look before finally turning to her comm unit and tapping in codes.

"He's one hell of a piece of work," Matthew muttered, pacing once more. "Sticks
Izzy in a cell and threatens my e'lev. I hate people like him."

A sender finger hovered above the connect command on the unit as two blue eyes
raised from the screen to look at him, surprise and relief reflecting deeply in
them. He had called her his e'lev. She had thought for sure that term would no
longer apply to her.

Feeling her eyes on him, Matthew span around. "I'm going to kill him for even
dreaming of hurting you," he declared. "After I get the Major off, my brother
and sister are home, and you finally agree to marry me, I'm going to kill him."
With that, he started pacing again.

A tiny smile tugged at the very corner of her lips. "Lets at least see what we
can do about getting the Major out of the Brig, or at least her alcove."

"Who are you calling?" he asked as he finally came to a stop and padded up
behind her. In the back of his mind, he noted the smile but filed it away for
future reference.

"There is one person who can overrule him as far as the alcove is concerned and
right now that's our priority. The Major can tough out the Brig as long as she
has that." With a simple tap of her finger Angelina was able to open a channel
to an officer, Fleet though she may be, that not even the all mighty Marines
could refuse, and because this officer happened to have been attached to the
other end of her umbilical cord Angelina had a direct line to her.

"Okay," he said softly. After giving her shoulder a squeeze, he moved to the
couch. "I trust you, e'lev."

Kahless how she missed the sound of that word. Angelina closed her eyes and
allowed herself a moment to feel the effects of it's sound, but she was quickly
brought back by the sound of her name.

"Angel?"

The woman on the screen looked almost like an older version of Angelina. Her
hair, despite her age, was still as raven as her own, and her face barely
touched by age. Her greatest differences however were as clear as the
similarities. The older woman had more defined forehead ridges, though they
were soft and faint, and her eyes were an almost chocolate color. "I need your
help, Mère."

Matthew watched from the sofa. If it wasn't for the fact that he still loved
Angelina, he would have allowed himself to admire how stunning her mother was.
But his eyes remained on his love. There had been a glimmer of something that
he hadn't seen before, a want maybe? A need for something. He shrugged. More
things to be considered when someone wasn't in a Brig, unlawfully imprisoned
and beyond his help.

"What is it, bébé?" N'Ellie asked.

Angelina looked over at Matthew and then back at her mother's image on the
screen. She started where she could and explained everything. She told her
mother about her assignment, about the Major, and about the generals, all the
while a flushing noise kept echoing in her mind. It was the sound of her career
being flushed down the head.

"An alcove will not fit in a standard brig cell, Angel." The head of Star Fleet
Medical explained. "However, there are special allowances for situations like
this. She can either be taken to her alcove under guard and allowed to
regenerate in full cycles and then taken back to the brig, or she can be
confined to quarters. This General Fitzwhatever can not deny her the use of her
alcove."

"You know that, Mère, I know that, Matty knows that, all of the fucking
Federation knows that, but General targ's ass must have missed that part of
lecture."

N'Ellie glared at her daughter. "Ce qui votre bouche, jeune dame." She scolded.

Angelina blushed a pretty salmon color. "Désolé, Mère."

Moving up behind her, Matthew placed his hands on Angelina's shoulders and
rested his head on top of hers. "He refuses to allow any special measures for
the Major, ma'am. He says that she is Human and thus doesn't need an alcove. He
is..." he sighed a little as he admitted, "The man is a bigot of the worst
sense."

At the sight of the young man standing behind her daughter the old hybrid
woman's heart leapt, and she found herself having to remember that they were no
longer together. But perhaps, just perhaps. The hopeless French romantic in her
hoped. "The fact that she is human is a moot point, Captain Swiftwind. She is a
Human with Borg implants, her alcove is a medical device, a means to sustain
her health and well being the way a cybernetic heart or a visor would be. How
long has the Major been without regeneration?"

"About five days," Matthew said, sliding his arms around Angelina to pull her
against him. He would push until she pushed back, until she told him to stop.

Angelina didn't think, she simply leaned her head against his chest and closed
her eyes. It felt so good to be held by him again.

"And her normal cycles?" The part of N'Ellie that was a doctor asked. The part
of her that was a mother smiled brightly at what she saw.

"Eight hours out of every thirty six," he said simply. "At the very least. She
told me that she tries for eight every twenty four but rarely manages it."

N'Ellie frowned, a light growl tickling the back of her throat. "She'll be
suffering from a host of sleep depravation symptoms by now. A weakened immune
system, lack of mental stability. This is torturous. There will be an order
sent to the station within the hour overriding all orders regarding her
regeneration."

"May I make a request?" Matthew asked.

"As long as you kept it within the realm of my abilities, Captain." N'Ellie
answered.

"Could you make the recommendation that she be placed under house arrest and
allowed to remain in her assigned quarters? She has family here now and her
fiance must be going out of his mind with worry for her. No one has been
allowed to see her except me, and even then the General has been breathing down
my neck every second." Matthew found himself holding Angelina tighter in honour
of the poor man he knew was scared for Izzy. He'd be murderous if it was
Angelina in that cell and he wasn't allowed to see her.

N'Ellie nodded her agreement to the request. "She's in no state to be moved
repeatedly. She's going to require more then one cycle to recover. At this
point it's a state of medical emergency. She will be moved. As far as
visitation, I'm afraid that reaches outside the realm of medicine."

"That's okay, Mère. That'll get covered by my next call." Angelina piped in,
her eyes now open, but her head still resting on the strong chest behind her.

"Thank you, ma'am," Matthew said with relief. "You have no idea how bad she
looks at the moment." His hands drifted to Angelina's hair where he stroked it
absently.

N'Ellie gave the boy a sympathetic look. "I can imagine, Captain. Don't worry
we'll get her what she needs."

Matthew nodded to the woman over the comm as he cuddled her daughter. On a fit
of foolishness, he kissed Angelina's head firmly, gave her another squeeze and
stepped away to sit on the sofa with a thud.

"Who will you be calling next, Bèbè? N'Ellie asked as she strained to keep the
smile from her lips and eyes.

"Judge Cabot. I know she's a civilian but she's a political figure head. I was
also thinking of calling Aunt Abbie."

N'Ellie nodded. "That would be a good idea. I'm sure the kind of press your
general is looking for isn't the kind that's truthful. You realize, puqbe',
what you are doing to yourself?"

Angelina nodded. "I do Mère."

"And it is worth it?" The elder hybrid woman asked.

"Oui, it is." Angelina replied. "What this man is doing, it and he, have no
honor."

N'Ellie finally allowed her full smile to appear. "Faites alors l'aucun soit un
imbécile deux fois dans votre vie, mon ange."

Angelina blushed a deep pink. "Mère!"

"Pretty colour," Matt observed from the couch as he closed his eyes and draped
his hand over them. In a soft voice, he said, "You still turn the most
beautiful colour when you're embarrassed."

Angelina's blushed darkened just a little as she lightly growled at him. "Shut
up you, your not helping."

N'Ellie laughed pleasantly. "Do not make my mistakes, Angel girl." She offered
her daughter a loving smile. "Now, I have some work to do and so do you. We
will speak again soon. Je t'aime, puqbe'."

"Je t'aime, Mère." Angelina replied just before the screen went dark.

Rubbing his forehead, he peered at her from behind his hand. "Do that again,
e'lev. You have no idea the effect your growls have on me," he teased with a
light laugh. It felt good to laugh, to know that something was going to be done
to help Isobel.

"Then you'll be deeply effected when I come back from telling the Lieutenant
Colonel that I'm recusing myself from this case." She told him as she got up
from the desk so she could join him on the couch.

"Moved to kiss you even," he nodded as he opened his arms, making to hold her.
"Help me defend her, send this son of a bitch down and marry me."

Angelina sat in his lap and played with the tips of his cute little Rihannsu
ears. "If the L.C will let me then I'll sit second chair for the defense and
then I'll retake prosecution when it's his ass on the line, cause there's no
way he's getting out unsheathed once my Aunt gets her hooks into him and his
life." She avoided his last question as she glanced back at the unit on her
desk. Don't be a fool twice in your life. She repeated her mother's words in
her head. Don't make my mistakes.

His eyes flickered closed as he smiled at her ease with him. "And marrying me?
I can't do this again, e'lev. I can't be with you just to lose you again."

"My mother called me a fool for letting you go." She told him while all the
different parts of her warred over her answer. "And that's saying a lot given
what part of you is and what part of her is."

Matthew pulled back a bit to stare into her eyes. "No, e'lev, you're not a
fool. Silly sometimes but not a fool. So... marry me?"

The biggest question she found herself asking was wither she was more scared of
living without him or living with him and losing him. In the end she felt her
heart was right, he wouldn't leave her so the second part of that question was
moot. "Yes, Matthew."

Letting out a woot of joy, his grip tightened around her and he kissed her
firmly. "I'jol'au!"

"I love you too my handsome pixie." She laughed between placing kisses on his
lips.

"I love that you call me that," he grinned brightly, as he drew her closer, his
hands stroking up and down her back.

Angelina smiled as she leaned in and kissed him more firmly. "Mmm, then I'll
have to work it into my vows."