[ussbansheec] A Bit of News

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 05:28:28 -0400

Zachan was still less than thrilled about the situation, to put it mildly, but he had his equilibrium back. He'd even made a mental note to talk to Joshie Mac, to make sure that he knew there were no hard feelings. Despite all that, he realized that something about his appearance must have signaled that he was worried. Lieutenant Ecitsuj, the soul of good nature, looked up when he returned to the main Science lab and Zachan could see from the look on her face, that something was amiss.

"Is something wrong, Coaimhe?" he asked.

<>"I was going to ask you the same thing, sir. You don't usually look as fair as I do and your hair..." Coaimhe began, pointing a slender hand at his appearance.

"What..." There was a mirror there that the section used for certain procedures. When he turned around to look in it, he saw that his dark auburn hair was completely disheveled. "Andy! Captain Maluhia did this to me, Coaimhe. The man musses my hair like I'm a kid."

Coaimhe laughed, the lilting sound filling the room. "It's good to have friends like that, sir."

/Friend /and /big brother,/ Zachan told himself. He straightened out his hair then turned around, his blue eyes shining. "He's known me since before I could even talk, Coaimhe. Listen, I have to talk to you. You know that we encountered another ship, don't you?"

Coaimhe nodded. "Lieutenant Lynley said it was from forty years in the past and Etienne--I mean Lieutenant Aigremont said you were on it. Happy belated birthday, sir."

Zachan had to smile, making his nose wrinkle more. "I thank you very kindly, Coaimhe," he said, blue eyes still lively. He liked her. She made any drudge project less of a chore with her ever bright disposition. "Now, here's the situation..."

Coaimhe's first thought was that nobody back home would be aware that they were gone, that they would be back long before they were missed. Her parents were such sweet and loving people and that sort of news would crush them. /If they have to get the news, I hope they get it from Scotty/.

"So," she said eventually, propping her chin up on her hand, "it sounds like we are going to have a lot of work ahead of us." She reached over to pat his hand. "No wonder you looked so ashy when you came in. You were almost as fair as me."

"Yeah, I usually do have more of my dad's complexion, don't I?" Zachan said with a chuckle. He turned kindly eyes on his sweet lieutenant. "Coaimhe, are you okay with this? With the situation?"

She tucked a lock of raven black hair behind her ear, biting her lower lip in thought. "It's my parents and my brother I'm worried about," Coaimhe said honestly, her mother's soft Scots lilt clear in her voice. "Otherwise, I think I'll be alright. It would be worse for me if T'Cerys, David, and Etienne weren't here."

Zachan knew that the four had been close since their first year at the Academy . He also knew that Coaimhe never failed to blush whenever she mentioned the name of Lieutenant Etienne Aigremont. Now, though, the blush was deeper and her ever present smile seemed sweeter. If that meant what he thought it did, then he was glad. /Good for them, if that's the case/. He smiled and then told himself: /the work will begin soon enough./

"Coaimhe, don't you four usually have dinner together? You only have ten minutes left on shift. Why don't you go now? I have to stay and do some planning so I spell you 'til your relief arrives."

/That means a few minutes extra to get ready but./.."Are you sure, sir? That's hardly fair to you."

"I'm fine, Coaimhe. Go on," Zachan said cheerfully, making shooing motions. "Tell whoever is cooking that bribes, in the form of real, not replicated, food, are cheerfully accepted."

"Aye, sir, I'll keep that in mind," Coaimhe said brightly. "Thank you, sir."