<USS Banshee> "In the Meaning of Dreams" Chp. 7

  • From: "Brad Ruder" <GroundZero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbanshee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:57:06 -0800

?In the Meaning of Dreams?
by Lieutenant Joshua Asper

Chapter Seven ?
?A Departed Generation?

The wind blew as leaves slowly cascaded down from the decaying trees and onto the grassy knoll. They moved without effort, like upon the wings of invisible birds, as they slowly dropped to the ground. Josh?s hair shifted in the direction of the cool breeze, but his eyes still weren?t swayed from the scene before. Though the grass was green, the sky blue, and the clouds a crystal white, the vast picture before him was gray and gloomy.

Taking a breath he took a step forward. He moved quietly through the grass, it brushing against the black of his shoes, towards the group that was assembled in a circle ahead of him. He had a dress uniform on, his pips shining off the radiating site. Josh felt the moment bittersweet as the sun shone down without resistance, but shined upon a situation riddled with a curtain of death.

People parted as Josh approached, leaving him a clear path to his lost prize. With every step he could feel the tears welling up inside him, but for the sake of his already crying little brother being embraced by his sister he took deep breaths and held back his emotions. Standing before the throng of relatives and friends, Josh pulled out a PADD holding his mother?s eulogy.

Gulping in one last breath before he gave the final address on his mother?s life, Josh watched the empty eyes penetrate his troubled and emotionally unstable soul. At that moment, as the eyes met his, Josh wanted nothing more than to express all his suppressed feelings. Pushing them away again, Josh opened his mouth and spoke:

?To those that knew my mother better than I, which is most people, she was a woman of extreme beauty, dedication, and intellect. She could sit and talk with our next-door neighbor for hours on end over a cup of a steaming tea about anything from weather to inter-species politics. She could sit at the table and work with materials of all shapes, sizes, and textures, and still be able to offer a smile when we all knew she was working in vain. A goal that we all saw as vain, but to her it was the Holy Grail.?

Someone in the crowd stifled a cry as Josh continued.

?She made sure that life?s simplest treasures were given the same amount of respect and time as life?s most complex problems. Catherine Asper was someone who, when you looked into her eyes, you found not just her soul, but also her entire being unraveling before you. I remember, when I was little, she would bring me things just because she wanted to ? no special reason. To her, everyone was special, and she made sure those people knew it.?

Josh wiped a tear from his eye as he struggled to focus on the PADD in his hand.

?My mother will be missed. I miss her already and it pains me to know that I can?t do anything about it. To know that with her undying strength that I can?t match it to help her is disturbing. A feeling of helplessness has overcome me, and an even thicker cloud of uncertainty has descended into my life. Without her just a communication call away, I?m left with no one to discuss my childhood with besides my siblings.?

Josh watched as his sister, Olivia, and his brother, Jerrad, huddled together and nodded their approval before being sucked back under by their torrents of tears.

?There isn?t much more to say about her, about her character, or about her life. They were spectacular in every way, and she was a model to those who struggled to find strength. My mother was strength, and she?ll continue to be that until the day that my eyes close for the final time. She?s gone, but her spirit is in all of those that she knew and touched. I know, I?m one of them. Thank you.?

Returning the PADD to his pocket, Josh embraced his sister and his little brother. Both were sobbing uncontrollably and all that he could do was tell them that everything was OK for the tears wouldn?t fall. Olivia broke away from the group and scampered up the hill, her hand clasped to her face in distress and worry. Jerrad shouted her name, but to no avail, and Josh moved up to follow her.

The wind battered him as he struggled to conquer the hill to aid his troubled sister. Her back was to him as her long brown hair danced and swayed in the wind. Her eyes were locked on the mountains rising out of the horizon like Gods over their followers. One stray tear slid down her cheek and off into nothingness as the wind took hold of it?s future. Olivia shook her head, her eyes still focused intensely on the landscape before them.

Josh reached out and put a hand on her shoulder and that was it. The tears wouldn?t stop flowing as she turned hastily and collapsed into his loving touch. Her cries escaped her lips and were swallowed up by his dress uniform and her hands pounding gently on his chest. She tried muttering words, but they came out slurred and intangible. Josh stroked her hair carefully as she continued to pant and cry out.

Olivia wiped a tear from her face, and Josh watched as another almost instantly took it?s place. She kept trying, in vain, to stop the water from flowing onto her fine facial features. It was a futile attempt and she quickly ceased, falling back helplessly into her brother?s arms. ?She?s gone??

?It?s all right??

?I miss her so much.?

?I know you do ? we all do.?

?She was right there, and then she was gone.?

?I know, I?ve struggled through it before too.? Josh tried his hardest to make his words have depth, rather than have them fall harmlessly away with a ringing of hollowness echoing in the aftermath. ?We lost dad almost eight years ago.?

Olivia looked up into his eyes, her blue eyes matching his. ?How can you stay so calm, cool, and collected when our mother is lying there in the photon torpedo casing?? She looked appalled at his lack of emotion. ?You?re not Vulcan, Josh, you can?t hide away what you feel.?

?I can try.?

?It?s not good for you, Josh.? Olivia pleaded with her brother to open up.

?I can?t, not now.? Shaking his head he stepped away from her and underneath a nearby tree. He slid down the trunk, his dress uniform rubbing against it and dirtying it, but at this point he couldn?t care. ?Jerrad is the most volatile of us all, if I break down now he?ll have no one strong to look up to.?

Olivia smiled, ?That?s our mother showing through ? always trying to be the strongest. Never for herself, but for others. You?re just like both of them, mom and dad, you?ve got qualities of both.?

Josh turned to look at her, his emotional barriers starting to creak and crack under the pressure of interrogation from his sister, ?He needs someone like that right now. I know I needed it when dad died.?

?For now, Jerrad will be OK, you on the other hand need to face the fact that she?s gone and not coming back.?

It struck him like a blunt object to the back of the head. At first he couldn?t breathe as he tried to analyze and comprehend what she was saying. After all that he?d gone through trying to reconcile his difference with his estranged mother, she?d collapsed to the same disease that had plagued his father less than a decade before. It was like a haunting image that floated up and took hold of the living realm.

?Josh, it?s time you let other people in on what you?re thinking.? Olivia?s soft touch enveloped his knee as she looked at him; concern, love, and stress lining her face. ?You need to talk.?

He puckered his lips, refusing to cry at this moment of emotional triumph. He would mourn, more than all the people that stared at her lifeless body, but not here and not now. The confines of his own quarters would be his shrine for mediation, reflection, and mourning of the dead. Now was a time for outward strength and confidence.

Hayden, Josh?s brother-in-law, trudged up the hill and gazed at the two siblings enjoying a moment of closure and an emotional remedy; he looked somber. He opened his mouth and went to speak, but the words echoed into the abyss of gusting winds and falling leaves. After struggling with it for a moment, and choking back several onslaughts of tears, Hayden got out the two words that he was looking for. ?It?s time.?

Josh looked down, knowing full well what was coming and not wanting to face it. Olivia grasped his hand and helped him to his feet as he stared down the hill at the gathering that was still intact. Meeting eyes with his beloved sister again they walked down the lawn on the slope back to the ceremonial site. Jerrad crumbled to the ground in tears again and began sobbing hysterically.

Stepping up behind the podium, Josh pulled yet another PADD from his pocket. ?To those that wish to travel beyond life into eternity ? let this ceremony act as a symbol to that never-ending goal.? With a click on the PADD an order was sent. The torpedo casing holding his mother was transported to the nearest munitions depot and shot off into space.

It glowed bright like a sun, then decreased into a star, then eventually traveled so far that a shining speck slowly became nothing as his mother was propelled into a future that only she would know until joined by her offspring. A generation stepped aside for its successor.