[USS Athena] "The Elder Base" part 2

  • From: Ronov tr'Daelk <ronov.trdaelk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussathena@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:42:00 -0400

Part 2

Black.  For a full two seconds, black was that was seen out the forward viewport.  Then the running lights for the attack shuttle came on and the crew saw they were in a tunnel.  Svonn kept his eyes on the monitor in front of him.  "Remain on this course another thirty meters, Arrain, then you will come to a main shuttle hangar."  Svonn touched another control.  "There are no life signs, Erei'Riov."

"Do we still have contact with the Aegyptus?" Ronov asked.

Svonn glanced at the other monitor. "Affirmative.  I do have a comm link with them."

"Is there an atmosphere?" Ronov asked. He was certain the Vulcan would not leave that fact out, but just felt the need to ask.

"Affirmative," the science officer confirmed.  "The temperature inside the hangar bay is 23.899 degrees Celsius."

Jhu'Rhiana brought the shuttle into the flight hangar.  She was somewhat surprised at the size of the chamber.  She thought the size to easily be three times the sixe of the hangar bay on a D'deridex-class warbird.  The chamber had a normal illumination level.  She located what appeared to be a control room and set the shuttle down near that.

Ronov rose and opened the weapons locker.  He withdrew three disturptors and handed one to Svonn.  "Do you know how to use this, Commander?" He glanced over to Jhu'Rhiana.  A smile on his face.

"Of course, Erei'Riov," Svonn said, matter-of-factly.  If he was even the slightest insulted by the question, he did not let on.  He grabbed his tricorder and head for the portal.

Jhu'Rhiana took the disruptor offered her.  She returned the smile.  Vulcans.  Sometimes they just didn't get it.

"We will make this a cursory inspection of the base," Ronov reminded the two.  "I do not wish to tax the fates by remaining here longer than we need to.  Get whatever information you need to, Mr. Svonn. Determine if there is need for a much more detailed examination of this facility."  Little did Ronov know that they were now testing the fates as a Starzen patrol craft came into sensor range.

to be continued...

Lt. Commander Svonn
Chief Svience officer

Arrain Jhu'Rhiana