[USS Athena] "Choice of Words"

  • From: T'Shana Tubed <antediluvian2370@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: USS Athena <ussathena@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:02:59 -0700 (PDT)

Choice of Words

    "You know, you have one bad attitude," Erein Hanaj stepped into the
Turbolift behind T'Shana.
    As the door closed, she turned, leaned against the wall, and crossed her
arms. "Looks to me like I'm not the only one around here," she looked at him
defiantly. "I can't help it, when I see ignorance like that displayed in that
mess hall..."
    "That's NOT what I'm referring to," the Romulan guard narrowed his brow.
"I'm talking about you treating me like some common veruul."
    Her brow quirked. She grimaced, "At least it's not a... Dha'ruhd."
    Hanaj's eyes went dark.
    She gave him a cynical grin, "Didn't think I knew those words, did you?"
    He eyed her sternly, telling himself that this was just an assignment, and
that she was just trying to test his patience. Though, she had the annoying
ability to push just the right buttons. For the first time during he Security
career, he was counting down the minutes for his shift to be over. Then, she
would be someone else's problem.
    "I would be very careful about using that term, lhhei," he remained
composed, though he was beginning to boil inside. "And calling me a dog in
front of a large group of people might not reflect so well on you."
    "I wasn't calling you a dog!" She protested. "I was saying 'dogie'...
making a quip about you having to follow me around."
    "Well, I'm just telling you," Hanaj's expression eased a bit. "You're not
making friends with being disagreeable."
    "Ha!" T'Shana scoffed. "And that coming from someone who sits on a specific
side of the mess hall..."
    "It's just the way things are!" He retorted louder than planned.
    She turned away from him, her arms still crossed, and remained silent for a
few moments. When she spoke again, her voice was a bit softer, "It's stupid, if
you ask me." She sighed, "Are we going anywhere anytime soon?"
    Maybe we should visit deck 9 and I'll acquaint you with the brig, the
thought occurred to him, but he didn't say it. "Where would you like to go,
lhhei?"
    "I suppose Engineering is out of the question, is it?" She turned her head
to look at him.
    "Ie," Hanaj nodded sharply. "And anything from deck 10 is off limits to you
as well. But... there is sickbay, the science labs, or perhaps... the
Counselor's office?"
    T'Shana shot him a bad look.
    "Or maybe the holodecks or the recreations rooms," he shrugged. "Seems like
the Fleeters like the crew lounge a lot, too."
    "I'm a Doctor of Engineering Technologies, I hold several other scientific
degrees," she uncrossed her arms, turning her body back to face him, "Think
about it, Hanaj. Honestly... do I look like I'm interested in the social spots
of the ship?"
    Honestly, do you think people want you to find them? He gave her a crocked
smirk. "What I have listed is all I can offer you."
    "Fine," she took a deep breath. "How about the science labs? That should be
interesting."
    "As you wish," he nodded, "Computer, deck 7." When the lift began to move,
he stood to the side, in his usual guarding stance. His eyes remained on the
door. "And... if you ever call me a 'dogie' again, I'm going to make sure you
end up with a muzzle," he remarked, without ever looking at her.
    She frowned, ready to snap something back. But when she glanced at his
face, she could have sworn there was a hint of a smirk on it... and she decided
to leave it be.

"Knowledge becomes wisdom only after it has been put to practical use."