[USS Athena] "Rumor Checking"

  • From: Noah Fyrstk <ensnoahfyrstk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ussathena@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:46:06 -0400

ON

Jazzy walked into sickbay and looked around for Noah. She was still contemplated how she would broach the subject with him. Finally setteling on a direct approach.

Noah stepped out of the isolation ward of sick bay. He finished his diagnostics of the equipment there. He noticed the captain. "Good afternoon, Captain. What cain Ah do for you this afternoon?"

Jazzy smiled, "May I have a moment of your time doctor. Some place a little private?"

"Whah, certainly. Ah believe mah office will do just fahne." He indicated for the CMO's office.

Jazzy followed Noah into his office. She took a seat and waited for Noah to sit.
"You know how fast news travels on a small ship like this. I've already heard about what took place in the mess hall early. I've gotten a couple of complaints actually. I wanted to hear from you what happened."

Noah smiled. "Ahh, y'all are referring to T'Shana's little show."

Jazzy nodded, but didn't smile. "Yes, that is what I am referring to Doctor."

"It's pretty simple," Noah said easily.  The fact the captain was not smiling had not escaped him nor surprised him.  "She found the.... segregation in the mess hall rather appalling. She had her own way of protesting it."

"Yes, that part I liked. But, what concerns me is a certain comment she made to the security officer who has been assigned to her."

Noah chuckled, remembering how she called to Hanaj. "She was a bit colorful at that."

"Hmm. Calling one of our officers a dog in front of a whole group of people, is not what I'd call 'colorful' doctor. The complaints have come from a couple of Starfleet Security Officers. They also mentioned you were encouraging her."

Noah raised a brow. He sat back in his chair. "Oh? And just HOW was Ah encouraging her?"

"Well, they weren't able to hear what you were saying to TShana. They did say, however, that you were laughing at her action."

"Is that now a crahme aboard ship, Captain," Noah asked, the humor gone from his voice. "Ah did not fahnd any of T'Shana's comments over the top or all that degrading to anyone else."

"It's not a crime Noah, but others did find it degrading."

"Permission to speak freely, Captain," Noah asked, though he had been ready to anyhow.

"Of course Doctor. I came to you to find out what happened."

"Some ot the 'other people' need to loosen up," the CMO said. "We have been trahyin' to integrate this crew since Captain Namid invahted them aboard, and we were actually starting to see interaction, until the renewed contact with the Alpha Quadrant. Now, Ah'm back ta bein' the half-breed who doesn't know his a..... " Noah stopped and forced himself to calm a bit.

"Doesn't know a scalpel from a laser pointer. T'Shana was not outta lahne with her comments. Not in mah opinion."

"Actually, I see this as an improvement in relations. None of the Rihannsu came to me to complain. These were Starfleet Officers, who felt that T'Shana's comments to the Rihannsu security officer were degrading. To me, Starfleet personnel sticking up for Rihannsu personnel is a good thing. They were more thinking it's an Athena Crew member being degraded, rather then a Rihannsu crew member.

"If you had been that Security Officer, would you have liked to have been referred to as a Dog in front of your other crew members? Just because it's not a 'crime' doesn't mean it's appropriate."

"Captain. Ah HAVE been that security officer," Noah said. "Rahght in mah own sick bay. Now, it could have been a Stafleet member sticking up for a Rihannsu. OR, it could have been a gossiper a bit jealous because T'Shana actually took a stand in the mess hall.

"Maybe the 'dawg' comment was a bit too far, that is something you will haveta discuss with Erein Hanaj, but other than that it is not a big deal."

"It's the dog comment that is the issue. Her pulling the table into the middle I think was a cool idea. I would like the mess hall to be more integrated. But, that's not how things tend to work. I have been on many ships, and every mess hall has been segregated. Obviously, not by Starfleet / Rihannsu, but other, more subtle segregations, going as far back as little kids. There are always going to be cliques. It's just easier to over look that when the groups are all Starfleet Officers.

"As far as the treatment in your own sickbay, are there any specifics? Let me rephrase that, has Erei'riov Ronov been a problem?"

"To say the sub-commander has let his distaste for me to be known, would be an understatement," Noah said. "Has he ever disrupted or openly put me down? No. There are others, Erein Hanaj for instance, who openly refused treatment bah me because of mah heritage."

Jazzy thought to herself, So that's the reason he found the dog comment humorous.   "I will have a talk with Ronov. Is it because of your father or your racial mix?"

"Captain. Y'all don't have to have a talk with anyone," Noah said. "Ah'm a big boy now. Ah cain handle their little taunts so long as they don't stand in mah way when it really counts.

"If ya wanta ralk to Ronov about anything, it is the better integration of the crew, but somehow Ah think it mahght fall on deaf ears."

"You have any bright ideas on how to accomplish that? And Ronov is more open to ideas then you might realize. You know, actually, a good start to better integrating the crews would be for you two to get along better."

Noah thought about that for a moment. "Ah am always ready to let it go, Captain. Ah would lahke nothing better. It will have to be his move. Ah will do mah best not to provoke anything though."

"Good. I will talk to Ronov then. It really sets a bad example to the rest of the crew when my Senior Officers are belittling each other. I would also ask that you try to frown upon T'Shana making belittling comments to others. I'm not saying you have to stop her persay, but please, don't laugh and encourage her. Make sense?"

"Of course it makes sense, Captain," Noah agreed. "Ah will do mah best to conduct mahself as befitting one of your senior staff, sir."  Noah kept his _expression_ as neutral as possible. he did not want to give away any emotions one way or the other. He simply wanted the captain to know he would comply.

Jazzy sighed. "You of all people should understand the importance of this. But, thank you for doing as I ask. If you have any ideas on how we can better integrate the crew, please let me know."

"Captain, Ah do know how this will all go away," Noah said quite frankly. "And, Ah aim sure you know as well. As long as other feel they are superior, there is gonna be the tension. Ah aim not the one to start it, and Ah certainly don't want to foster it, but Ah certainly aim not gonna back down from their atitude. If ya want me to roll over and let them act lahke that towards me, Ah'm on the next shuttle back to the Alpha Quadrant."

"Yes, there is going to be tension, there always is. And, I don't expect you to be a whipping boy, by any means."

"And if ya know ANYTHING about me, Captain, ya know Ah won't be." Noah allowed a genuine smile to come to his face, and his body relaxed back in his chair. "You cain be assured Ah will do what Ah cain to ease tension between th' two crews. Ah don't think any of them will invahte me for dinner, but who knows."

Jazzy grinned, "That's an idea. Invite y'all to dinner!"

Noah chuckled easily. "Maybe a down-home bar-b-que on th' holodeck."

Jazzy laughed, "I may just do that for the Senior Officers. We'll see."

Noah chuckled again. "Ah cain just see Ronov wolfing down some watermelon, now."

"Ronov's really not such a bad guy. You'd see that if you wo weren't at each others throats all the time. And yes, I know that it's a two way street, and it'll take both of you to change it. Which I'm bound and determined to do." She grinned at that last comment.

Noah nodded at the captain's words. It had been Ronov who charged first, in this battle of attitudes, and, Noah decided, it would be Ronov who would give first to ease the tensions between them. He didn't relay this to the captain, as there was no use in making this public.  "As Ah said, Captain. Ah will do mah best to foster better relations between the two crews. Ah do believe we can do this together. Always have."

Jazzy nodded, it wouldn't do to press more about Ronov right now. They'd just go around in circles. But, she was going to look into team building exercises and the like with her senior officers.

"Good." With that she rose. "I should probably let you get back to your work, and me to mine."

Noah rose also. "Ah aim sure this will all work out, sir. Don't worry."

Off
Captain Jazmine Mergahn
Commanding Officer

Dr. Noah Fyrstk