[Umpqua Birds] Re: Pileated Woodpeckers and stellar jays

  • From: "Mary Ann Wilcox" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "maryannw27@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 14:21:45 -0700

Wonderful pictures, thank you, Francis......Mary Ann Wilcox

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:24 PM, Francis Eatherington
<francis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This afternoon I heard two woodpeckers tapping behind my house. I could see
one, a pileated woodpecker, at the base of a Douglas fir tree (not an old tree,
but it has a swollen base). I'm pretty sure it had no red cheek feathers, so I
guess it's a female.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15074242@N00/14896615951/in/photostream/

Also of interest, there are a LOT of steller jays flying around in the same
woods, and even exploring little things on the ground in my back yard. They
just arrived a couple of days ago, making a racket. I could see 4 at one time
though there are more. I have no bird feeders, so these jays came just because
they like the woods here, I guess. I saw two of the steller jays chasing each
other around the branches of a tree, around and around.

While I was watching the woodpecker, there were lots of jays in the forest in
the background, being very busy doing, I'm not sure what.

While I have no bird feeders, I am near a creek (Dysert Creek) that still has
running water in several pools, so I assume the birds are drinking there. I
just bought a trail-camera that I plan to put down by the creek to see if I can
get photos of whoever is drinking there.

Francis