[Umpqua Birds] Re: Pigeon question; Rufus hummingbirds

  • From: "Toni McDermott" <creekwood@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 10:39:39 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Hi, Laura! Thanks for your response. Glad you were popular with the RUFUS
Hummers, too. They certainly are "feisty" little things! As to the
BAND-TAILED PIGEONS, they've also been really destructive here, but I'm glad
you thinned their numbers down in your area. There were a number of
BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAKS nesting here & several fledglings, so I was reluctant
to take down the feeders. As soon as the grosbeaks left, I tried withdrawing
the feeders for two weeks, but the pigeons are still here. Usually, that
approach works with every other pest bird, but it didn't this time :-( .
Toni
South Umpqua

From: Diana Wales
Date: 09/14/13 17:24:00
To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Pigeon question; Rufus hummingbirds

John & Kathy Waite (seriousfisherman@xxxxxxxxx) have a pigeon hanging out at
their home that they can’t identify – head, under wings & belly are white;
back, top of wings are black; and there’s a black collar/hood.  They can
also see a band on one of the legs that looks orange.  Maybe an escapee?
Thoughts?  They’d welcome any ideas/suggestions.

I’ve also gotten several calls wondering about the sudden disappearance of
Rufous hummingbirds from feeders.  I’m guessing they’ve migrated???

Diana Wales