[Umpqua Birds] Re: Pigeon question; Rufus hummingbirds

  • From: Laura Mountainspring <mntsprg@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 09:44:55 -0700

HI TONI!!!  we had easily a dozen Rufus this spring and throughout the
summer.....as for the banned tails pigeons...OY last fall there were some 70 of
them damaging many of my feeders and Photo roosts..
this summer I let the feeders go empty for about 3 weeks, the number of those
pigeons have gone way down!!...about a half a dozen when last seen...phew~~~
Laura Mountainspring
Winston

      From: Diana Wales
      Date: 09/14/13 17:24:00
      To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Pigeon question; Rufus hummingbirds

      John & Kathy Waite (seriousfisherman@xxxxxxxxx) have a pigeon hanging out
at their home that they can’t identify – head, under wings & belly are white;
back, top of wings are black; and there’s a black collar/hood.  They can also
see a band on one of the legs that looks orange.  Maybe an escapee?  Thoughts?
They’d welcome any ideas/suggestions.

      I’ve also gotten several calls wondering about the sudden disappearance
of Rufous hummingbirds from feeders.  I’m guessing they’ve migrated???

      Diana Wales