[Umpqua Birds] Peregrines in Callahan Range

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ub <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 22:35:34 -0700

Greetings Friends,

I spent a few hours in the Callahans today. At a large cliff area I heard a
Peregrine calling, but initially could not see it. Eventually I saw one,
then two, then three, all at once. At one point they had an aerial chase,
and I caught a couple of distant, but intriguing photos as they all dove
downward. It appears to perhaps be two females (top two birds) and a male
(bottom bird). In the first photo, the top bird is upside down, talons up.
I don't know what they were doing. Is it a female trying to chase away
another female who is trying to steal a mate or nesting area? Or is it last
year's young and they are just having fun? What do you think?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/16907646198/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/17093918892/

Not a lot of birds up in the Callahans themselves, but down lower at the
"foothills" next to the valley, there were plenty of ORANGE-CROWNED
WARBLERS, BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS. Also one HOUSE WREN singing in a
clearcut, and one SHARP-SHINNED HAWK seemingly migrating north. Plenty of
VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS hanging around cliffs where the species nests.

Eyes to the Skies,

Matt Hunter
Melrose